Chandwell - N Gauge 1990s city viaduct

Chandwell

Hi Michael,

Very nice work. I do not like layouts built on flat baseboards with track laid directly upon it because everything is level and there is nowhere for water to run to (if it was real) and would immediately flood with the slightest rain. Even in 'flat' areas such as the Fens the tracks are mostly built above the landscape (in this case to prevent flooding). With your layout being built well above the flat datum you can incorporate slopes and multiple 'levels' both above and below track level, result a real looking model.

I tried to achieve similar effects with Shirebrook but my datum was the track base... that is the only flat and level part of the model everything else is rising (or falling) to some degree.

Your buildings are impressive and look entirely correct for the area modelled.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The station looks superb Michael. Well done and definitely worth the hours put in. As others have said the gentle slopes but with the level windows works really well. The clock tower looks suitably imposing enough to represent the sort of railway folly so common from that era. And as usual the attention to detail with the VCTB, the cafe and all the signs, posters etc really makes the difference. 

I’ll look forward to the videos when they’re ready. 

• 5 weeks later...

So now that the station is complete, I am turning my attention to a low relief Victorian hotel behind the station. This is based on the really interesting, incredibly rambling, and massive Midland Hotel at the entrance to Bradford Forster Square station.

This will be an exercise in interestingly intricate roofs, hexagonal towers, domes, terraces, arches, chimneys, and fancy wrought ironwork (Err... Or not...).

This is the cereal packet mock up of the build. It's already taken 32 hours over 25 days to get this far but I am ready to make a start on the building itself tomorrow evening.

It has 124 individual window/door openings. I will be using the Sticky Label technique for every window frame. It's going to be a long job, but I can't wait to get started.

20210616_133153377_iOS.jpg.97b7562d55bed250e26b5efaa67f60af.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I'm not generally an N scale fan but this is fantastic, the attention to detail and level of realism in such a small scale is brilliant. 

10 hours ago, Chandwell said:

It has 124 individual window/door openings. I will be using the Sticky Label technique for every window frame. It's going to be a long job, but I can't wait to get started.

Why not use Scene-setters glazing grids - they come in a range of sizes/pitches and are quick and easy to use. This building, that I scratch-built in N/2mm scale and, as yet, incomplete, is based on a real building and has over 70 windows all formed from the glazing grids:

DSC_9197red.jpg.ad19f824289639337c611ce0e6d4652b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, grahame said:

Why not use Scene-setters glazing grids - they come in a range of sizes/pitches and are quick and easy to use. This building, that I scratch-built in N/2mm scale and, as yet, incomplete, is based on a real building and has over 70 windows all formed from the glazing grids:

DSC_9197red.jpg.ad19f824289639337c611ce0e6d4652b.jpg

That’s one lovely building! Beautiful work. 

The reason I use the sticky label method is two fold:

I actually enjoy it!

And most importantly, I can get all 124 windows onto a quarter of a sheet of sticky label and a bit of old birthday cake box, which will cost me a total of just over one and a quarter pence. And everything on Chandwell is done at absolute rock-bottom pricing!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael

I've just spent 45 minutes pounding away on the exercise bike while watching your hotel build on YouTube. It's really fantastic stuff! I think that the backs of buildings are often more interesting than the fronts; and the Royal Scot is a marvellous hotch-potch of styles (not to mention that modelling the back allows us to enjoy the allure of Buffers nightclub). I don't have a YT account, so I  can't subscribe to your channel, but I'll definitely be watching your other videos and following this topic.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Two new like options are needed

- Gulps in astonishment

- That's it. I quit

Also, is your local celebrity, Lady Scoggins prepared to grace such an establishment with her presence or is it still to down market?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pirouets said:

Two new like options are needed

- Gulps in astonishment

- That's it. I quit

Also, is your local celebrity, Lady Scoggins prepared to grace such an establishment with her presence or is it still to down market?

Hahaha. Thank you!

As to your question… watch tomorrow at 5pm and you may get your answer!

On 14/10/2021 at 19:12, Chandwell said:

The Royal Scot - Chandwell's low-relief Victorian scratch-built hotel is finally finished. I've been working on this for 138 days, and it's taken me 170 hours of effort, with materials costing £26.30 plus inkjet printer ink.

It's turned out much better than I ever thought it would. If you've watched my 16-part YouTube series on making the hotel it will be familiar to you. If not - feel free to ask any questions about the build and I will answer them!

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

That sir is outstanding! Especially like the last shot with the sprinter in it. 

All the best,

Dave

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael

I thought I'd post a small reply on Chandwell You Tube channel. As I said I've got photos of the West Yorkshire Railway scene since the mid 1980's. I was brought up in Wharfedale, wher my parents still live. I have a interst in the whole history of West Yorkshire Railways since the early days of Middleton Railway in the 1810's.

Here are some of the scans I've done from my photos of this era.

I also know about the closures and reduction in railway. Take somewhere like Ilkley before Beeching it both a through Station on the Skipton to Arthington Jct line and a terminus from Leeds & Bradford with a large goods shed to the east of the station. Now it a 2 platforn terminal of the Wharfedale Lines. I remember Bradford when Interchange was the Inter-City Station for HST to London and Foster Sq was just for the Airedale & Wharfedale Lines, but with Large Warehouse for van trains for Gratton's.

Ian

105 Huddersfield.JPG

110 Huddersfield.JPG

111 Menston.JPG

153 Harrogate.jpg

08 706 Huddersfeild.JPG

31 443 Bradford Interchange.JPG

37 031 Hull.JPG

45 140 Dewsbury.JPG

45 106 Leeds.JPG

40 122 Kiegthley.JPG

47 276 Huddersfield.JPG

47 356 Blackburn.JPG

47 402 Leeds.JPG

47 418 Leeds.jpg

Alnmouth Coal Yard.jpg

Macclesfield Signal Box.JPG

Edited by Angliacan
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Michael

I've been checking the online rescourse about the Railways of West Riding. So to give you ideas of how much railway was built and how much is still around. Adolphus St Goods Station is Bradford is seperate to the passenger at Exchange.

Also in Chandwell was the Goods Yards on a lower level below the viaducts. Perhaps this has closed in the years before you set and some of the larger buildings and rusting rails cobbles are still there awaiting the redevelopment which may have been delayed by the resession of the early 1990's. If you go for the remains of viaducts to a Goods Station could ther be some track stilll be in situ but not used & cut off from the rest of the layout.

Here the Link to Bradford.

http://lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Bradford.htm

Heres the link to Dewsbury

http://lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Dewsbury.htm

Here the link to Leeds

http://lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/leeds west.htm

In the era your modelling British Rail was sectorised and getting ready for privatization so reduction in all sorts of things. Cities which still had Household Coal Yards saw these closed and the traffic stopped. Parcel & Mail traffic changed, the Mail Trains went from serving local stations with many TPO trains, there used to be a Whitehaven Huddersfield TPO nightly. A nightly York Shrewsbury Passenger/Parcel train. Then the were changing to dedicated larger Mail only modern out of town Hubs. Stations like Leeds or Manchester Victoria which had large Mail/Parcel handing areas reduced or cut back. At Leeds the new platforms 0 to 4 were all the old parcel depot

The is the idea that some towns & cities across the UK had a few different stations over the years and were reduced to just one. I know in East Anglia Cromer had 2 station now only 1, Great Yarmouth had 3 Stations and extessive frieght lines. Now there just one. Norwich had 3 Station over the years. The 1st Victoria was closed when the current Thorpe Syation was open. the area became a goods yard mainly Househod Coal with it own ex BR diesel shunter, this yard lasting till the early 1980's now it a supermarket.

Ian

Edited by Angliacan
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2021 at 18:12, Chandwell said:

The Royal Scot - Chandwell's low-relief Victorian scratch-built hotel is finally finished. I've been working on this for 138 days, and it's taken me 170 hours of effort, with materials costing £26.30 plus inkjet printer ink.

It's turned out much better than I ever thought it would. If you've watched my 16-part YouTube series on making the hotel it will be familiar to you. If not - feel free to ask any questions about the build and I will answer them!

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

I think this is now my favourite set of build log videos on youtube!!!!

Absolutely fantastic 

• Thanks 1