More model ideas

26 minutes ago, Legend said:

Mmm only came across this thread today . Great news that there’s lots under development .

I’d hope Accurascale would bring an EMU to market . I think they have the best chance given their mk5s are £225 for a five rake , although I appreciate that when announced prices in China were much lower.  I still think they would be best providing 3/4 car EMUs and DMUs . While Bachmann models are great , their prices are eye watering eg the 4 BEP at £499 . There has to be an opportunity there for you to bring in an MU at better price point .

My heart would sing at a Glasgow Blue Train 303 , but I have to recognise that’s a fairly geographically restricted prototype . Handsome units though .   Much more a go-er I think I’d the 313/314/315/507/508 units . Bigger geographical spread and lots of colour schemes . 

Everyone seems to be concentrating on D&E prototypes but I note 5 steam subjects under development .  More difficult here because most of the main classes are covered . One that to me is crying out for a new model is the Standard Class 5 . I know there is a Bachmann model but it’s pretty old . Could be an opportunity here .  Other than that there are some lovely pregrouping locos . An NBR Glen or Caley Dunalastair would be classics . 

An all new Standard 5 would indeed be a good choice and would definitely sell. TBF the Bachmann model is quite good for its age considering.

I've got a feeling that we're more likely to see an announcement from Accurascale of either a superdetailed Stanier Black 5, 8F or an all new Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class as a direct replacement for these long in the tooth Hornby models. 

How about a HR Jones Goods for a Pre-Grouping loco?

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

Perhaps they could up the ante and have dcc-operated loco brakes on the rebuilt MN's?

Would look good with all of the rods!!

Here's one thing, apart from DCC Concepts' kits, why do we have diesels with directional lamps, yet no moderately-reasonably-priced steam locomotives have working lamps?

(Only the 'silly-priced' Dapol Black Labels have these - and some older tender powered Hornby models.)

Al.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Perhaps they could up the ante and have dcc-operated loco brakes on the rebuilt MN's?

Would look good with all of the rods!!

Here's one thing, apart from DCC Concepts' kits, why do we have diesels with directional lamps, yet no moderately-reasonably-priced steam locomotives have working lamps?

(Only the 'silly-priced' Dapol Black Labels have these - and some older tender powered Hornby models.)

Al.

Problem with steam lamps is that they moved depending on what type of train was being operated. Also they were not as bright as modern headlights, and are generally much harder to conceal as they are not flush with the body.

Where this could work is with electric lamp fitted locos like Bulleids, B1s and other late LNER locos, but the tech (fibre optics) would have to be tiny.

An alternative would be a positive and negative copper connection on either side of the lamp iron, onto which fits a micro-led lamp. For me this would be the best way of doing it, but could it be achieved with scale fittings?

Dapol's headlamps on the A4 were a) fixed in place and b) had a rather ugly wire coming out of the back, and c) imho a little on the large side, and bright.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I caught your response on my telephone, and didn't catch the full detail - was going to mention 2 small pins, or as you put it +ve one side, -ve the other of the lamp iron - nice.

Reason being, to permit removal, and placement into the correct position - not too frequently as something so minute will likely be super fragile.

I'm sure there are options.

Al.

• Like 2

On 15/08/2021 at 18:11, G-BOAF said:

Problem with steam lamps is that they moved depending on what type of train was being operated. Also they were not as bright as modern headlights, and are generally much harder to conceal as they are not flush with the body.

Where this could work is with electric lamp fitted locos like Bulleids, B1s and other late LNER locos, but the tech (fibre optics) would have to be tiny.

An alternative would be a positive and negative copper connection on either side of the lamp iron, onto which fits a micro-led lamp. For me this would be the best way of doing it, but could it be achieved with scale fittings?

Dapol's headlamps on the A4 were a) fixed in place and b) had a rather ugly wire coming out of the back, and c) imho a little on the large side, and bright.

This fringes on changeable headcode displays for D & E locos an units. Obviously apart from a tiny handful of preserved examples headcodes were redundant from 1976, so irrelevant to many modellers anyway.

• Like 1

As class 08's were mentioned up thread, may I nominate the ruduced height examples used at Burry Port. As far as I'm aware, they have never been availble rtr. The same could also be said for the class 03's that also worked the line. I think the wagons also had a bit lopped off, but, not too sure about that. Also an rtr class 13! :)

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Also an rtr class 13!

Hmm, standing on Wood Lane Bridge, right over the hump, watching it all happen at Tinsley.  My favourite railway location in my youth, bar none.  Always something moving somewhere.  I could have stayed and watched for days.  For me, a Class 13 would be the best memento of a fantastic railway scene, now long gone.  Not that tricky to make one myself, I suppose; about time I got around to it, or went for one of the Olivia's conversions (if they still have them).  Unless of course a really lovely RTR one appeared... 

Pete T.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

This fringes on changeable headcode displays for D & E locos an units. Obviously apart from a tiny handful of preserved examples headcodes were redundant from 1976, so irrelevant to many modellers anyway.

Due to the short lived nature of headcodes, I would argue lamps are more widely applicable in terms of tech develpment. However working oil lamps, certainly in daylight are really subtle and not like lights on D&E locos and units. I would therefore argue that good scale lamps like Springside with jeweled lenses are good enough, and better than an overscale unit with wire poking out of the bottom, and unrealistically bright light (Dapol's metal A4).

EDIT: Wires on Dapol's A4 come out of the bottom not the back, either way horribly in your face at trackside viewing levels, complete with oversize holes....

Edited by G-BOAF

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

Programmable headcodes should be doable these days using small LED/e-ink (like the Kindle etc) displays with a backlight.

What you would need is a dedicated circuit board to control the 2-4 panels (they're fairly standard sizes across BR locos etc aren't they?) with an interface to a suitable DCC chip and a micro USB interface for manual programming and job's a goodun.

I'd previous suggested it to Dave Who Shall Not Be Named, who liked the idea, so perhaps give it a body swerve :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Are they not the bus replacement service?

Well, there was only one last return working to Selsdon & Sanderstead after I took that photo - 

94_01.jpg.ccc364a0d42862e7b29529d23a92c912.jpg

- but Addiscombe lasted a while longer before succumbing to Tramlink.  The Hayes Line is still with us, of course - though numeric headcodes disappeared with Networkerisation.

This discussion has got a little off topic - so I should point out that while the 2EPB unit is currently available from the trade, the following - Bulleid-style - 4EPB would be welcomed in some quarters ..... and its 4SUB predecessor would also find a ready market. 

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2021 at 08:07, it's-er said:

Given Accurascale's proven ability in wagons, I am surprised no one has mentioned BR Anhydrite wagons, as used on the Long Meg to Widnes traffic flow, and then later in the Midlands.

They tick several boxes: there's the Settle - Carlisle line interest; they have all sorts of beams and shapes that are difficult to recreate one's self (I know Macgeordie of this parish produces a delightful kit, but building it is not for everyone); and they ran to Widnes, where Hattons are located today so they could be interested.  They ran in flows of 15, then 20, and later 26 wagons, so that is potentially a lot of sales ..... but I don't suppose most of us would, or could, buy a full rake!

John S

These would get my vote. A wonderful wagon addition

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, frobisher said:

Programmable headcodes should be doable these days using small LED/e-ink (like the Kindle etc) displays with a backlight.

What you would need is a dedicated circuit board to control the 2-4 panels (they're fairly standard sizes across BR locos etc aren't they?) with an interface to a suitable DCC chip and a micro USB interface for manual programming and job's a goodun.

While an interesting idea, I don't think they would look right in addition to adding a significant extra cost to the model - in part because no manufacturer is going to be willing to create e-ink panels of the required size in the small quantities that this hobby would use.

Though I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mdvle said:

in part because no manufacturer is going to be willing to create e-ink panels of the required size in the small quantities that this hobby would use.

Never say never when Chinese manufacturers are involved I guess.  It would vey much be a case of finding a mutual overlap with other applications, current or potential.

OLED is another technology that lends itself to this but requires power to keep a display (stay live capacitor?), but as I understand it is considerably more adaptable to this kind of application.

1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Never say never when Chinese manufacturers are involved I guess.  It would vey much be a case of finding a mutual overlap with other applications, current or potential.

OLED is another technology that lends itself to this but requires power to keep a display (stay live capacitor?), but as I understand it is considerably more adaptable to this kind of application.

Anything less than printed numbers on background will look weird when in usr, and even worse if they disappear completely when power is off and loco is on display etc. The solution is not LED or similar tech it is miniature scrolls or (if room) old fashioned rotating disks like a car odometer.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I know it's beyond unlikely but a modern standard 373 with all coaches (in whatever sku combination it comes) and you can name your price with me. I'd be buying multiple full trains with whatever livery variations came out while asking how big a loan I could get from a bank. Give it a working nose coupler for shunts or 37/73 drags and i'd be dying of happiness XD

more likely: electrostar, aventra, or desiro city variant

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got to be class 47, 25, 56 or APT or even a terrier!

Anyway probably too  expensive my wallet is either breathing a sigh or relief or quaking in a corner and there are 1 too many rivets on some part or other!

Yes I may have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to a Facebook post someone was laser scanning a Class 50 at Kidderminster diesel depot on Tuesday . No information on whether any Irish accents overheard :)

So even if its a 50 it will be a long wait if it was only scanned on Tuesday....

Do we know which particular loco was being scanned?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to a Facebook post someone was laser scanning a Class 50 at Kidderminster diesel depot on Tuesday . No information on whether any Irish accents overheard :)

Can someone laser scan and produce something not done yet?

• Like 3