Broad Gauge on a Budget in 4mm

Hi

so what I have is a flat car which needs a set of wheels and some general tidying up.  A tilt wagon , three open goods wagons.  As I said I bought them second hand and never got time to do anything with them.  Not perfect but with a bit of work and some tender love and care you could make something out of them.  No couplers attached, some people,use the smith’s chain couplers but I am tending to fit the new hunts couplers but the choice is yours  cannot think that postage would cost much but I need to pack them up and then head over to the post office at the end of this week or sometime next week.  Do you want them? 

0D836282-57A6-4671-B5FC-65C06FA6ADA7.jpeg

4F84C613-627A-49FF-9E8C-99799D019C27.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, Canadian broad gauge said:

Hi

so what I have is a flat car which needs a set of wheels and some general tidying up.  A tilt wagon , three open goods wagons.  As I said I bought them second hand and never got time to do anything with them.  Not perfect but with a bit of work and some tender love and care you could make something out of them.  No couplers attached, some people,use the smith’s chain couplers but I am tending to fit the new hunts couplers but the choice is yours  cannot think that postage would cost much but I need to pack them up and then head over to the post office at the end of this week or sometime next week.  Do you want them? 

0D836282-57A6-4671-B5FC-65C06FA6ADA7.jpeg

4F84C613-627A-49FF-9E8C-99799D019C27.jpeg

4 hours ago, Canadian broad gauge said:

Have you received your scc loco if you have what do you think of it .

Hello,

I'll take the two open wagons with wheels, and the flatcar that's lying vertically. Would $3 dollars per wagon be a good price? As for the scc loco, no its getting here either today or tomorrow, hopefully.

thanks again,

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
lack of sarcasm
  • Like 1

Afternoon all, bit of an update on the Loco,

Essentially it’s sitting in a truck in Texas, being transferred between UPS and USPS. Well actually it’s been getting transferred for 3 days now, so I’m worried that it might be melting in said truck.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Another interesting new development ladies and gents. I recently happened upon this photo on an internet trawl, and I quote the caption here. This is one of only three photos I have managed to find depicting the Pyracmon class. And yes I'm not entirely sure either what happened to parts of the text below.

Fortunately, posterity has bequeathed us two photographs of Polar Star, both taken at Cheltenham shed in the late 1840s. Polar Star had its frames and boiler lengthened by 2ft 0ins by 1849, so we can date the photograph as prior to that work being carried out. In fact, they are the earliest known photographs of a GWR scene and amongst the first railway pictures ever taken with a camera anywhere in the world. They are far from perfect, as perhaps would be expected given the primitive nature of photography at that time, but also because the originals are long lost to us and so only copies (and in many cases copies of copies) are known to survive. Notwithstanding all this, they give excellent views of Polar Star, seen here on the left in front of the shed at Cheltenham, in the company of the ‘Sun’ Class 2-2-2 Javelin on the right and the ‘Pyracmon’ Class Goods 0-6-0 Alligator in the centre. All three engines are believed to have been based here at this time, from where they would have found employment on the newly opened line to Swindon. The pit for the shed’s 42ft turntable is just visible in the foreground and note that Alligator was evidently too long to fit on it, hence the engine and tender had to be turned separately, which was common practise on many early railways. Javelin’s open smokebox door gives a good view of its blast pipe and tantalisingly, there is a partial view of Polar Star’s tender. Polar Star is said to have been similar to Evening Star when built but if that was the case, then it had undergone some modification since first delivered – witness the dearth of boiler fittings, the safety valve mounted on the top of the firebox and the manhole cover on the firebox front. Note too the prominent diamonds on the front buffer beams of the two singles and the relative size of Polar Star when compared with the smaller Javelin, which had only 6ft 0ins diameter driving wheels. Note the prominent boiler and smokebox stays on the two singles, which can be clearly seen in both this and the following photograph. John Alsop collection. 

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/the-broad-gauge-engines-of-the-great-western-railway/L8368

Aligator at Cheltenham shed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's well worth buying a copy of 'Broad Gauge Engines of the Great Western Railway: Part 1 : 1837-1840' from Lightmoor Press if you have any kind of interest in the Broad Gauge.  I'm saving my pocket money to buy 'Part 2' since it's never the price of the book that's a problem, it's the cost of postage to New Zealand that's the killer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Annie said:

It's well worth buying a copy of 'Broad Gauge Engines of the Great Western Railway: Part 1 : 1837-1840' from Lightmoor Press if you have any kind of interest in the Broad Gauge.  I'm saving my pocket money to buy 'Part 2' since it's never the price of the book that's a problem, it's the cost of postage to New Zealand that's the killer.

My grandfather ships us Peanut Slabs from NZ twice a year. He for some reason has to state that they are books on the shipping label, and yes it does cost a few penny’s from what I hear. 

• Like 1

Telegraph poles and wire fitted and painted. The wire is just string and it also needs painting, as well as attaching to the tunnel portal. The tilt wagon has also been finished, without brake gear which may be added at a later date. Next work will start on the tender. The tunnel portal has also been “whitewashed” and some rubbish looking smoke added. The engine should be here soon.

F201D068-669C-433D-8602-23EF282D6CE3.jpeg

A5534F57-35AA-4146-9F3F-91C361AFB886.jpeg

7E61AD07-D005-4CC2-AD35-FF157910F911.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Here are my wagons (Broad Gauge Society kits) on the little diorama I made from the remains of our Channel 5 'Great Model Railway Challenge' layout.

The transfers (decals) from the society make a big difference and are well worth getting. Postage to the US should not be very much for a transfer sheet.

IMG_20180915_095232

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

3 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Here are my wagons (Broad Gauge Society kits) on the little diorama I made from the remains of our Channel 5 'Great Model Railway Challenge' layout.

The transfers (decals) from the society make a big difference and are well worth getting. Postage to the US should not be very much for a transfer sheet.

IMG_20180915_095232

I wonder if it would be possible to make a six wheeler out of two of those Hornby coaches. With the card added in the middle, they would still need some sort of probably styrene chassis. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

And some most impressive Broad Gauge dresses.  Aniline dyes were certainly a world-changing invention!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tom Burnham said:

And some most impressive Broad Gauge dresses.  Aniline dyes were certainly a world-changing invention!

I think I paid more attention to 'My Fair Lady' than to fashion history when painting them :D

However, there were some bright colours at that period according to the V&A museum.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I think I paid more attention to 'My Fair Lady' than to fashion history when painting them :D

However, there were some bright colours at that period according to the V&A museum.

It depends on the period. Aniline dyes were introduced from the mid-1850s, though quite rapidly adopted.  If you were representing fashionable wealthy types from the late 1850s you would probably be fine. These figures are designed, I think, to represent the '50s-'60s. Pre-bustle (1870s) at any rate.

This is well worth a read

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Huzzah.

Mammoth has finally arrived. I’ve spent the last 5 & 1/2 hours putting her together. This was very challenging, as I had to make my own coupling rods from Hornby rail, not a terribly enjoyable experience. 

ECC1D23D-D121-4B9C-98FC-256BD94EE0CF.jpeg
The old Keyser motor I was intending to fit is far to large unfortunately, so I’m hunting around for a suitable motor & gearbox unit in the USA. Any suggestions are much appreciated. :read:

7775C1E4-0C79-48B9-ACA0-EDBAA60B1F46.jpeg

Buffers have yet to be fitted.

583884AE-6462-4E22-B0BC-BF65AC52C954.jpegSadly the safety valve salter connection didn’t get printed, and the top half of the reversing leaver did the same. So those will have to be added later. 

DFC11D41-8F56-4787-9634-A3FB529788AD.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, Mikkel said:

What happens when parts aren't printed? Do they arrive later or is it just too bad?

Normally they were to thin to survive the process of coming out of the fluffy plastic they get printed in. So yes it is just too bad. Sometimes they tell you about this, but this time no. :mellow:

• Friendly/supportive 4

I had an issue with the NLR tank.  It was listed as available in narrow or wide (later) cab versions from CDC Models.  However Shapeways couldn't print the wide cab due to a s/w problem, suspected to be a profile too thin - 1mm is the usual minimum; but they were able to print the narrow cab version.....I

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cdcmodels

• Informative/Useful 3