Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Nice story. The recommended procedure for dealing with doorstepping Jehovah's Witnesses is, "What excellent timing. Do come in and meet Fr. Murphy."

Many years ago, I was stopped in the street by two young men in shiny suits, and asked if I knew anyone who wanted to talk about god.  I pointed at the nearby church and suggested that it might be a good starting point.

I've not had any knocking on the door, so I've not had my chance to practice my "We're non-conformist druids, you're just in time for dinner" with an evil grin.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

Personally I quite enjoy my chats with those who knock on the door preaching.

They are preaching what they believe and are indeed doing what they believe to be their calling : spreading the word. 

I have had some interesting conversations, some lasting over 2 hours. The rest of the street didn't get a chance to shut the door on them 

I have my beliefs, they have theirs. 

It can be fascinating to see the world from a different viewpoint sometimes.  

If you have the time, I can recommend the chat.  Just don't invite them in. 

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I suppose lots of door to door callers have desisted over the last year. We did have a “ we are cleaning a drive nearby” but he rang the bell and walked away and spoke from about 4 metres away. No religious callers.  Over the previous few years they have been pleasant and not confrontational. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SM42 said:

didn't get a chance to shut the door on them 

A few years ago after a brief but pleasant chat the missionary thanked me for at least opening the door to them. I did say that to be honest I thought it was the window cleaner. She was amused. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I've generally found the various missionaries - JW, mormons etc. - to be pleasant and not intrusive. I once gave a lift to a couple whose car had broken down on a really miserable, rainy night and we had an interesting chat about different belief systems during which they were not at all pushy or dogmatic. 

This subject reminds me of a church I used to pass going into Liverpool along Scotland Road. Outside was a large billboard on which one day appeared the message, 'Jesus saves'. The following day there was an addition that read, 'But Dalgleish gets it in off the rebound.'

Night all.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

Many years ago now a brace of Witnesses rang my doorbell.  I opened the door, prised a Watchtower out of a hand, placed it on the doormat and wiped my feet on it.  I handed it back without a word being spoken.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

Many years ago now a brace of Witnesses rang my doorbell.  I opened the door, prised a Watchtower out of a hand, placed it on the doormat and wiped my feet on it.  I handed it back without a word being spoken.

Chris

Regardless, on the face of it that just seems to be plain rude and ill-mannered.  There must have been aggravating circumstances?

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 2

The first time i met the future out laws

Mil  " i was baptised a Mormon"

FIL "i always knew i married a Moron.

When i was based in Castleford town centre Fridays seemed to be Religion day a couple of older ladies used to collect outside the market hall gor the Salvation army. The jws had pitches outside the bus station and on the precinct. All were polite pleasant and talkative. The ongoing jole we had with the sally army ladies was that they were collecting to buy gin. One day driving the sweeper near their hall they did bring me out a cup of coffee

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

Regardless, on the face of it that just seems to be plain rude and ill-mannered.  There must have been aggravating circumstances?

I did not realise that we had met.

Seriously though, I am no fan of religion in any shape or form.  Let me make matters worse by sharing a joke.   What is the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Networker?  You can slam doors on a Jehovah's Witness.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

I once had 2 american mormons knock and as i had nothing pending, invited them in. 2 hours later we had discussed short line operation, OO versus HO, Plasticard model buildings and the distances involved to meet other modellers in the States, plus they do like tea! Lots of tea,......and biscuits! A very agreeable afternoon. :locomotive:

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I did not realise that we had met.

I don't think that we have either but I could not make out whether your words were spoken in jest or represented an example of your normal behaviour.  From your copious writings here  I suspect that they described an incident so out of character that you recalled them as a warning to all.  My own limited experiences of JW people is of one doorstep call ever.  On that occasion we did not ruffle each other's feathers and I've never seen them since.

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My son came over yesterday and gave the oak tree a hair cut.

There was a lot of diseased or dead wood that needed cutting back, and the crown reduction he carried out is letting a lot more light into that part of the garden.

The down side is I have spent most of today in the tidy up operation, although the remains are now grouped in one area.  these are being sorted into stuff that can be burned in the incinerator (mainly twigs), stuff for the fire pit (small branches), stuff for ornamentation of the fern garden (large boughs that are either rotten or dead) and bits that might be dried for wood turning.  I can't see much in the way of stuff for the wood turning as most of the diseased boughs are suffering rot from the centre out.

I shall be working on this wood pile until the weekend, so train stuff is grinding to a halt once more.

Cider beckons.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

All I managed was a tip run  25 minute queue, a quick reload at mum's  house and second queue, 45 mins this time

Dash home for lunch and wash, collect Mrs SM42 from work and off to the supermarket. Several errand run whilst she does the shopping and finally a bit of garden tidying and bulb planting. 

Now enjoying an egg custard or two and the football. 

Bit awkward this one. 

Who to support?

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

My son came over yesterday and gave the oak tree a hair cut.

There was a lot of diseased or dead wood that needed cutting back, and the crown reduction he carried out is letting a lot more light into that part of the garden.

The down side is I have spent most of today in the tidy up operation, although the remains are now grouped in one area.  these are being sorted into stuff that can be burned in the incinerator (mainly twigs), stuff for the fire pit (small branches), stuff for ornamentation of the fern garden (large boughs that are either rotten or dead) and bits that might be dried for wood turning.  I can't see much in the way of stuff for the wood turning as most of the diseased boughs are suffering rot from the centre out.

I shall be working on this wood pile until the weekend, so train stuff is grinding to a halt once more.

Cider beckons.

My Big H you let you son loose on your Barnet wow! 

Sorry couldn't resist. 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He's got so much hair at present, I lent him my clippers to take home and get himself thinned out.:laugh_mini:

I suspect I will be asked “are you going to trim your hair today?”  In the near future. I bought some clippers a year ago and have managed to keep fairly tidy. Aditi has declined my offer to cut her hair.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

I've stopped looking in the mirror. Can't wait for 12 th.:D

Bubbling with someone who owns hair clippers or is a hairdresser is the way to go.  

Got to help Mrs SM42 do her lateral  flow test soon. I'm getting quite good at it now. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Bubbling with someone who owns hair clippers or is a hairdresser is the way to go.  

I thought that bubbling happened in the Muddy Hollow after HH had a big dinner. In which case the post above gives much pause for thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

Just now, Dave Hunt said:

I thought that bubbling happened in the Muddy Hollow after HH had a big dinner. In which case the post above gives much pause for thought.

It's  one of those irregular verbs 

I bubble

You make bubbles

He causes volcanic explosions and noxious gases

Test done. Half hour wait now to see if I have to go to work tomorrow. 

Andy

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm all for new experiences but

'Bubbling with someone' is a new one to me.:unknw_mini:

As to the hair cutting definitely the professional.:jester:

Bubbling

It's one of those new words that will be in the dictionary soon. 

One of the words of the last year.

Andy

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Bubbling

It's one of those new words that will be in the dictionary soon. 

One of the words of the last year.

Andy

Ah well that explains it. You should have said.

The last thing that was new here was........I'll get back to you on that.:P

• Like 5