Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Oh dear we are heading downhill fast as lo g as no one mentions felching.

Jamie

So why did you? It's nearly as bad as someone saying blootering. Oops.......

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 3

Oh fiddlesticks.

Mrs SM42 had tested negative  which is good, but means I have to go to work tomorrow  now. 

I was hoping to have a beer tonight in a covert celebration of a certain sporting result.

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I was hoping to have a beer tonight in a covert celebration of a certain sporting result.

Andy

You mean to say that you haven't had a beer since 1966?

Glad to hear about Mrs. SM42's result though.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I'm going to try and fit the Decoder, speakers and stay alive system to 1401.

How long 1401 remains as that depends on when I can get the plates ordered for 1471.

come to think of it I have quite a few sets of  number plates and transfers to fit to various locos in order to identify them.

At present most have a large piece of masking tape stuck on the blind side to any viewers at shows, with the numbers in big bold letters:  It helps the operators, some of whom don't know one pannier tank from another (Not that 1401 is a pannier).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The plans for fitting the decoder were shelved in favour of what is best described as an elaborate April Fools joke.

The SEAT would not start, then it did.

Drove to the shops and once loaded, SEAT would not start again.  Not even a turnover  from the starter motor

Left Nyda in car and walked home. (It's only 2.5 miles!)

Collected BMW and jump leads and returned to shop.

Jump start not successful, so drove Nyda and shopping home in BMW

Then returned to shop with tool kit to remove battery from SEAT.

This was fun as the alarm was telling everyone I was trying to steal the car....

Finally got the battery home and went to put it on charge, but  then one of the crocodile clips on the charger fell off.

This was then fixed, and finally connected to the battery

It's now on a rapid charge, and we will return later this evening to recover the SEAT.

At least no one will be able to start it and drive off!

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Jump start not successful

Some neighbours were looking puzzled about why one couldn’t jump start a van from a Nissan Qashqai. I suggested when they asked my advice that the jump leads were useless. I said while I looked for mine they could borrow my charger. They just used the charger. I measured the battery voltage before connecting the charger. It was 11volts. While the neighbour went in to find the battery guarantee it was left on charge for 20 minutes and the van started  perfectly. The battery was replaced as faulty by Halfords. 
My Evoque has a battery management system and jump starting requires the negative lead not to be connected to the negative battery terminal but to a large bolt head elsewhere. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The battery is dead, it is a battery no more!

What is so annoying is that I only tested it last month, and it was fine.

Still, I love spending money.

I'll drive past the car park in Donnington before I go and get the battery,  becasue I'd hate to tuen o up with a new battery and find that a Telf ha taken the car for a joy push.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some neighbours were looking puzzled about why one couldn’t jump start a van from a Nissan Qashqai. I suggested when they asked my advice that the jump leads were useless. I said while I looked for mine they could borrow my charger. They just used the charger. I measured the battery voltage before connecting the charger. It was 11volts. While the neighbour went in to find the battery guarantee it was left on charge for 20 minutes and the van started  perfectly. The battery was replaced as faulty by Halfords. 
My Evoque has a battery management system and jump starting requires the negative lead not to be connected to the negative battery terminal but to a large bolt head elsewhere. 
Tony

Jump-starting a modern car can be fraught with hazard nowadays - damage to very expensive electronics units (management systems) can result if it's done wrong (and that doesn't mean connecting the leads the wrong way round - though that never ends well).  I believe Mercs have a "negative connection/terminal" separate & distant from the battery, to be used when jump starting.  Hooking jump leads up to the battery as we've all done for years is frowned upon nowadays - they like the negative lead to be hooked up to something solid on the chassis/engine block etc. as far from the battery as possible, IIRC.

I think you can now get jump leads with surge protectors built in too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Yes as poly says you have to do that with Mercs a new battery was £237 and it lasted 2 weeks the Rac replaced it under warranty no quibble even though it was way under the mileage required to start the warranty due to lockdown and I had to self shield that has happily ended today. I just now have to beat the anxiety to go out. I now have crutches from the fall clinic 

Edited by simontaylor484
Autocorrect
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm just wondering what happens when your battery packs up in  a BEV.

A new battery for your Nissan Leaf sir?

That will be £6000!

I was looking at a second hand BEV. Second hand they were surprisingly cheap, until you get to the bit that says 'Needs new batteries'.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That's why dealers don't like them as part-exchanges - and offer cr@p trade in values as a result, in case they get caught for the price of a new battery pack before they can sell it on.  Others sell them with no warranty on the battery, so if it packs up the next day you're stuffed.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's why dealers don't like them as part-exchanges - and offer cr@p trade in values as a result, in case they get caught for the price of a new battery pack before they can sell it on.  Others sell them with no warranty on the battery, so if it packs up the next day you're stuffed.

If/when I buy a BEV it will be a new one and I'll run it into the ground.

On my current annual mileage, it will see me to the end of my desire to drive myself around.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2021 at 10:12, Happy Hippo said:

It helps the operators, some of whom don't know one pannier tank from another...

That's easy; there's green ones, black ones, some with GWR on the sides, some with BR thingies on the sides, clean ones (rare), dirty ones (more common), a few red ones (much more attractive) and ones that are so mucky that none of the aforementioned apply. Are there any other classifications?

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If/when I buy a BEV it will be a new one and I'll run it into the ground.

On my current annual mileage, it will see me to the end of my desire to drive myself around.

I don't think that BEV ten ton lorries are readily available yet, are they?

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's easy; there's green ones, black ones, some with GWR on the sides, some with BR thingies on the sides, clean ones (rare), dirty ones (more common), a few red ones (much more attractive) and ones that are so mucky that none of the aforementioned apply. Are there any other classifications?

Dave

If anyone has not received a chocolate pannier tank as an Easter gift, you'll know why!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

GN&SR!

Jenny Agutter knows about pannier tanks, she even ripped off her undergarments to flag one down!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

So Big H for how long have you had this fantasy of being flagged down by Jenny Shutter index panties?

Anything you say will be in the strictest confidence. Doctor patient privileges applying of course.

Happy Easter oh large one and don't forget to share the easter eggs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2