Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Evening all,

I made some prospective buffers this evening, although not of the most intelligent kind. They actually are made from a 1924 live steam water gauge which has been recycled. Once the lathe is here the springing will be made.

5B0004B2-813A-41D8-ADE7-A463FA09D9DB.jpeg.ebfe9b4a7ae1e78da047f7a8e41398e3.jpeg

Re rap music. It’s not all bad. Although some of it is utter garbage. Some of the instrumentals are also very good.

Douglas

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, DenysW said:

How modern and decadent to have a choice. You Southerners. In Leicester, last year, SWHBO assures me there was no choice, just rap music. Which she detests, and I completely agree with her.

If you were in the US, dear fellow, being tortured by rap music during an MRI would certainly be grounds for a malpractice suit.

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

…The owner was astounded that I could sing along, and knew and could pronounce the words…

You are definitely a man of many hidden talents, Jamie (‘though the unkind on here might suggest that such things best remain hidden :jester:)

Karaoke is, IMHO, up there with rap music as a form of aural torture - although it would be kinda fun to see @Happy Hippo @polybear @Dave Hunt @jamie92208 and @PupCam together attempt a karaoke version of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody (and if any of the aforementioned individuals object on the grounds that they “can’t sing”, well that hasn’t stopped people doing [committing?] karaoke before :scared:)

It could become a YouTube sensation.

Or not.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Re rap music. It’s not all bad. Although some of it is utter garbage. Some of the instrumentals are also very good.

Rap?  Three - quarters of the way to cr@p  (can you see what Bear did there?)

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Karaoke is, IMHO, up there with rap music as a form of aural torture - although it would be kinda fun to see @Happy Hippo @polybear @Dave Hunt @jamie92208 and @PupCam together attempt a karaoke version of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody (and if any of the aforementioned individuals object on the grounds that they “can’t sing”, well that hasn’t stopped people doing [committing?] karaoke before :scared:)

Or not.

Trust Bear when he says that (and I confidently include Puppers here too) that CC has more chance of finding - and retrieving - Rocking Horse  Sh1t from Pluto (the planet, not the dog...) before that will EVER happen.....:nono:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I recall being introduced to karaoke in Japan for the first time in the 70's - I was astonished, they took it so seriously, and they were fully down to my (or a chilly bear's) standard. 

A night I long remember, as the next pub (this was in Kobe) was an 'English Pub', full of middle aged Japanese blokes in Pringle sweaters and playing darts.  One of our fellow officers was something of a whizz at darts, so challenged the reigning champion (shiny wooden board on the wall like a school list of head boys kind of thing) to 901.  Beat him.  Pub goes very quiet.  Rematch, beat him again.  VERRRY quiet now.  Best of 5 set up - Alan beat him again, whitewash. (huge amount of gambling had been going on in the background) Silence.  Japanese bloke looks very serious, we all worry about Triad gang connections, then he busts out laughing and bought everyone a drink or ten - relations restored!  A wild night ensued, I can just about remember it......

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, polybear said:

Trust Bear when he says that (and I confidently include Puppers here too) that CC has more chance of finding - and retrieving - Rocking Horse  Sh1t from Pluto (the planet, not the dog...) before that will EVER happen.....:nono:

Oh I don't know ..... :lol:

• Funny 10

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I

Or not.

Whilst three of the above gentlemen could cover convincingly for Queen members, there isn't a "Freddie" amongst them.  Bill

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Whilst three of the above gentlemen could cover convincingly for Queen members, there isn't a "Freddie" amongst them.  Bill

Is that because our hair's the wrong colour these days Bill.  I'm sure that there must be an 'ist' in there somewhere.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

If you were in the US, dear fellow, being tortured by rap music during an MRI would certainly be grounds for a malpractice suit.

You are definitely a man of many hidden talents, Jamie (‘though the unkind on here might suggest that such things best remain hidden :jester:)

Or not.

Why am I not on the list? I can torture Bohemian Rhapsody along with the best of them.:wacko:

36 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that because our hair's the wrong colour these days Bill.  I'm sure that there must be an 'ist' in there somewhere.

Jamie

Those that still have hair.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2021 at 03:08, Mike Bellamy said:

Did you have to suggest that - now I have the Banana Boat Song going through my head

Dai Ough, Dai Ough
Daylight come and we want go home
Day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a day, is a Dai Ough
Daylight come and we want go home

Thanks! Now so do I!! :(

My favorite Belafonte song:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think if you got a bear stuck between your teeth having hair or not would be the last thing on your mind.

Have you seen “The Revenant”. Man eating bear scene is near the beginning so not a spoiler for the rest of the film. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Meanwhile, on the "fake news" front, the dear old DT has a gem in its "Dear Lucy" (or whatever the agony aunt column is called).

These tend to be somewhat lacking in credibility, not to mention focused mostly around the sort of thing my kids refer to as "First World problems"... but this corker purported from a young man whose girlfriend "talked dirty" in German, her native language, at moments of <ahem> overexuberance. 

The Comments column didn't remain open for comments long, but the general ribaldry on offer might be imagined.... mostly along the "achtung Spitfire!" or "ausweiss bitte!" lines... don't newspapers have sub-editors these days? 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Or not.

Of course I can sing: I am Welsh so can terrorise anybodies aural sensibilities with my close harmony accapela

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Do newspapers have editors now? Judging by the "standard" of English I have my doubts.

I dont think our local.rag even has photographers these days they seem to use grabs from Google streetview

Edited by simontaylor484
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1