Pictures and information on Reading station, platforms 1-3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a rethink and I’ve decided to to abandon my portable layout “Elton” as I don’t think it will keep the operational interest for very long, so I’ve decided to model Reading station platforms 1 to 3 in the mid 80’s and the start of NSE.

i used to live in Reading in the same time period and I remember the platforms were quite busy with Class 117 DMU’s rolling in and out to Newbury and stations further west, SR “thumpers” with services to Basingstoke and Portsmouth plus parcel vans being shunted in and out to be loaded/loaded.

I’m searching for information and pictures of the station and the three platforms.  If anyone is willing to share, I would be most grateful.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Premium

Can’t help with photos I’m afraid, but you might find operational interest a bit limited compared to Reading station as a whole. My recollection is the SR demus working Reading-Basingstoke were primarily users of Platform 1, with WR demus working to Newbury and beyond using platform 2. Platform 3 saw use by parcels vans - and to dump the odd loco failure -but I don’t think I ever saw a passenger train leave from it in your period.

• Like 1

A couple of scans from prints here...no notes but I'd imagine around 1985....

They must have been taken on different days as the Hampshire units were usually stopped for maintenance at EH on Sundays and were replaced by a 33/1 & 4-TC on the Reading to Pompey Harbour services.

RG1.jpg

RG2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

My recollection is the SR demus working Reading-Basingstoke were primarily users of Platform 1, with WR demus working to Newbury and beyond using platform 2. Platform 3 saw use by parcels vans - and to dump the odd loco failure -but I don’t think I ever saw a passenger train leave from it in your period.

I think you have that the wrong way round; the Newbury/Bedwyn trains used platform 1 and the Basingstoke/Portsmouth Harbour trains used platform 2. In the period in question, the only regular usage of platform 3 was the loco(s) of the overnight Robeston-Theale tanks berthing between around 0600 and 1200 and a couple of parcels/mail trains; Tonbridge to Preston around 1700-ish and another one later in the evening (can’t remember the details now). The reason platform 3 was so rarely used at that time was because access to it was via the down main line (which was always busy). Platforms 1 & 2 could be accessed without interfering with the down main. There was formerly a connection from platform 3 to the line going into platforms 1 and 2 but I’m fairly sure it had been removed prior to the period in which the OP is interested. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I have these three, which may be of use. There are two facing west, and one facing east. 

720149488_u5502755020reading685.jpg.c6ec3704429d8092ce64129fb4d0c44e.jpg

168378992_165121reading4802.jpg.bc389f3c3bf1cc91e05ee064a0ec64de.jpg

1178380282_1404reading484.jpg.9afef9d2f121a08fce5910bad606b80c.jpg

Nice to see a pair of bubble cars and a Hampshire unit, sadly the Networker is after my cut off period

1 hour ago, Bert Cheese said:

A couple of scans from prints here...no notes but I'd imagine around 1985....

They must have been taken on different days as the Hampshire units were usually stopped for maintenance at EH on Sundays and were replaced by a 33/1 & 4-TC on the Reading to Pompey Harbour services.

RG1.jpg

RG2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Oh cool, now I’ve got a excuse to run a Class 33/1 and 4-TC.  I have to say that I can’t recall seeing that combination but we are talking about 35+ years ago, so memory gets foggy :huh:.  If that’s the Tonbridge mail train, surely it’s pointed the wrong way?  I thought trains for Tonbridge etc and London left from platform 9?

• RMweb Gold

I don’t suppose anyone has a track plan, even a rough sketch?  I do roughly remember it being almost self contained apart from a set of points from platform 3 which led onto the down main.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I don’t suppose anyone has a track plan, even a rough sketch?  I do roughly remember it being almost self contained apart from a set of points from platform 3 which led onto the down main.

I’ll try to sort something out for you today. The 33/1+4TC was a regular Sunday working to Portsmouth Harbour.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If that’s the Tonbridge mail train, surely it’s pointed the wrong way?  I thought trains for Tonbridge etc and London left from platform 9?

It was Tonbridge to Preston. The train arrived on the old platform 4 (down main) or the bi-directional up main, picked up a shunter, then shunted via the down main line or down Westbury and back into platform 3.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is not my photo, and I do not own the copyright - but I thought it might be useful although maybe a bit outside the 1980s time period. 

However, it shows 205032 but in the adjacent platform is a Mk2 aircon vehicle. I have no idea which service that might be on. 

2048067121_berks-205032reading93JL_5550669497_o.jpg.019b892041f03cefd8e8d673e5c196a2.jpg 

• Like 3

A few from the later 80s:

1988 with the typical 3-H for Basingstoke and 117 for Newbury/Bedwyn:

504517702_88-A-06Reading1988.jpg.8fe8a617ef59181202d337d2e1acbccc.jpg

1986, this time with a 119 for the Newbury line:

1257051088_Reading1986.jpg.6a87a24b16d87e956d6eeafcfad483c9.jpg

And 1986, showing a 3-D unit, which gradually escaped west after the closure of the Tunbridge Wells West branch in ?1984.

Unusually, the Basingstoke service here is in platform 1 and the Newbury line service in platform 2. BRUTE trolleys on 3, which I also remember as being hardly used for passenger services: 

1832511012_N55_0020Reading1986.jpg.a9aad5892858df61439cc168a65841b6.jpg

If you need higher resolutions, PM me.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jonny777 said:

However, it shows 205032 but in the adjacent platform is a Mk2 aircon vehicle. I have no idea which service that might be on. 

2048067121_berks-205032reading93JL_5550669497_o.jpg.019b892041f03cefd8e8d673e5c196a2.jpg 

Me neither. In over a decade of professional involvement with operations at Reading, I cannot recall any loco-hauled passenger trains booked to use platform 3. There were many instances of terminating cross-country trains that were shunted onto the up or down goods lines behind the station prior to the return working but that was usually from the old platform 9, a relatively simple shunt to do. I can only surmise that the train in this picture is there due to some unplanned event.

• RMweb Gold

This excellent picture on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72856291@N05/7159930146/in/photolist-bUGvMu

shows the track plan at the west end of platforms 1-3. As you can see, at that time there was a connection from platforms 1/2 to the down main line. That connection was removed sometime in 1989 or 1990.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2020 at 08:45, Western Aviator said:

This excellent picture on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72856291@N05/7159930146/in/photolist-bUGvMu

shows the track plan at the west end of platforms 1-3. As you can see, at that time there was a connection from platforms 1/2 to the down main line. That connection was removed sometime in 1989 or 1990.

Cracking picture, so much different to today and yet so much the same! I know the large signal box seen in the picture is Reading Main Line West but there appears to be a smaller signal box on the other side of the tracks, which is where Reading TCD East Sidings are now. Is that Reading Goods Line West?

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwa/S156.htm

On 27/08/2020 at 19:24, Western Aviator said:

Me neither. In over a decade of professional involvement with operations at Reading, I cannot recall any loco-hauled passenger trains booked to use platform 3. There were many instances of terminating cross-country trains that were shunted onto the up or down goods lines behind the station prior to the return working but that was usually from the old platform 9, a relatively simple shunt to do. I can only surmise that the train in this picture is there due to some unplanned event.

Is it a train, or just a single vehicle ? If the latter, could it be a defective coach detached from a Down express ? 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Is it a train, or just a single vehicle ? If the latter, could it be a defective coach detached from a Down express ? 

If it was a single coach removed from a service train, I’m sure it would have been left on the stop blocks. The picture was taken looking towards the stop blocks which would mean there would be a two coach gap behind the coach if it had been left there on its own.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2020 at 22:59, jools1959 said:

I have one at home. If this project is still going, let me know and I will post a pic when I get in tonight. Alternatively for the cost of postage and an A3 print from Prontaprint I could send you a paper copy if needed? 
I have altered this one with tippex to suit my own project (P1 is tippexed out for example) but I still have the origional untouched version.

941B2805-38A3-48E9-B70A-773E18276DCE.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Based on an apparent absence from this thread for over a year, and from posts elsewhere, I suspect the OP may well have abandoned this project. 

Noted. Although the offer of posted paper copies applies to anyone.

cheers