Well done Rod, glad to see you are able to get on with this.  One question, how deep is the insulation which you are using for the baseboard?  Is this following ideas put forward by Iain Rice in his Cameo layouts book?  How do you in tend to drive the points through such a thickness?

regards

Philip

Hi Philip, good to hear from you.

The foam is 50mm thick. Points will be operated on the surface, possibly via one or more lever frames depending on the geometry, possibly by simple wire and tube. The maxim will be simplicity and convenience.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently acquired some extracts from a 1950 station plan, very kindly provided by Glen Woods, which includes a wealth of information on platforms, footbridges and buildings, signal and crossing positions etc. I've had the station area bit photo-enlarged (about x4.5) to get it to 4mm scale. This morning John helped me to set some of the boards up to try it out for size

IMG_4490.JPG.0d419f970e2fc10a149e90e74b6fc6aa.JPG

You can't tell from this but it is pleasingly very close to my Templot plan. Next time I can add the station junction board and finally finalise (for the final time) platforms and plain track alignments.

• Like 12
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is going to be a lovely layout when built. When we lived in Sussex, Lewes was a regular Saturday afternoon destination.... always arriving by train. 

Good luck with the project, hope your health is ok.

• Thanks 1
On 05/09/2020 at 20:41, 10800 said:

Not my Eridge, although I retain an interest. It should be 'appearing' at the virtual Scaleforum on 26 September.

Is htis the one that attended the Beckenham show some years ago?

It was a lovely model and after building a model of the same station back in 1980 as my first exhibition layout although nothing to the quality of the one that I saw at Beckenham.

• Thanks 1
On 23/02/2021 at 07:30, roundhouse said:

Is htis the one that attended the Beckenham show some years ago?

It was a lovely model and after building a model of the same station back in 1980 as my first exhibition layout although nothing to the quality of the one that I saw at Beckenham.

Hi, many thanks and yes it is, I recently put up some film of Eridge at that show.

We did one more show (Carshalton & Sutton) with Eridge in that form; it was then dismantled because of baseboard warpage and rebuilt. The new version hasn't been to any shows yet but I filmed it in its clubroom in late 2016. There is an infrequent blog on it at

• Like 6
  • RMweb Gold

A major undertaking. Even in its current reduced layout it would be a challenge to most. If it is of any help, I have a fair number of photos of the station buildings as they now are, usually taken while waiting for something to come through, a steam special or one of the Newhaven aggregates trains. Since 2009 we have lived down the line at Seaford, so, Covid regs permitting, I could easily take a trip there to snap any bits you need further details of.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Thanks 1