York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No they would not be right for the period.  I liked it better before the overhead wiring was put up anyway.  Although, to be fair the OHLE was done as sympathetically as possible, and the place is certainly a lot cleaner now than it was in steam days.

Its not so much the overhead wires as the removal of the centre through roads that has upset the aesthetic for me. Still a beautiful station but it has lost something. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the background of the photo the sectional concrete wall has an LNER look to it and the architectural style of the buildings could be York too. My first trip on a Eurostar was from York to Doncaster so maybe not so out of place.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm working on York again shortly, building some houses along Garfield Terrace. I need to pick the brains of those of you that knew York years ago; does anyone know what this building was?

svyCxJH2RkyBXfFl4OaPWA.jpg.3ee8b9609323af797c0cd872705a523b.jpg

It looks to me like an old shop or pub, but the OS map doesn't mark it 'PH' so a shop seems likeliest.

679005586_terrace_006.jpg.1b22089c75f929ba244560c53df80716.jpg

I've looked at old trade directories but they are all pre 1914 so don't really help and nothing has mentioned this building. Over to RM Web then, can anyone help?

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

I'm working on York again shortly, building some houses along Garfield Terrace. I need to pick the brains of those of you that knew York years ago; does anyone know what this building was?

svyCxJH2RkyBXfFl4OaPWA.jpg.3ee8b9609323af797c0cd872705a523b.jpg

It looks to me like an old shop or pub, but the OS map doesn't mark it 'PH' so a shop seems likeliest.

679005586_terrace_006.jpg.1b22089c75f929ba244560c53df80716.jpg

I've looked at old trade directories but they are all pre 1914 so don't really help and nothing has mentioned this building. Over to RM Web then, can anyone help?

Peter

Can't answer but there is a very helpful and knowledgeable Facebook Group called York Past & Present where these sort of questions regularly come up and get answered by locals :)

• Like 1

I don't think we've got room for those John; even the terrace is being squeezed onto a pretty small area but it will at least give the flavour of what was there. Naturally I'll be posting on here as the model progresses.

Peter

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Neil said:

Neil’s beaten me to the answer, but just to add a little bit of detail, when it was a Co-Op the large arched opening on the three story bit was fitted with wooden doors, and had a steelyard hoist above the arch - that floor was the storeroom for the shop. The windows are modern, following conversion to residential use.  (After the Co-Op closed, the ground floor remained  a convenience store until relatively recently.)

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Correction
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Wow never seen that on the York site before. This link helps find the other similar reports. https://www.york.gov.uk/CharacterAreasMap

Bit disappointing that the role of the NER in developing the St. Paul's area isn't mentioned, but does show my house isn't listed - which is very useful as our builder had a major row with planning, as have we since, because we are in the conservation area. 

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

I've found this picture which gives and idea of how the shop would have looked.

1250800042_co-opyork.jpg.21e3d52fd12a9855753d017b146e9bb1.jpg

Thanks for all your help folks,

Peter

Though the prices in the window indicate the photo was taken post-decimalisation (1971) and the upper floor looks as if it might have been converted from stock storage (as described in an earlier post) to accommodation by then. 

John

• Like 1

It's not the same shop John but it does give some idea of the lettering and colours that were used. It looks like a pale shade, perhaps green, with white or cream lettering. Although it's a 1970's picture it doesn't look as though much modernisation has been carried out in the previous twenty years.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you Google images yorks co-ops 1950s and 60s, there are some great pics to be had, especially things like typefaces for signage etc.....

Best wishes,

Alastair

• RMweb Premium

That's the Fulford branch at the top of Heslington Lane; I grew up in Fulford. If my memory is right (and the sixties seem a long time ago now) the paintwork was a pale dull blue, a bit like RAF blue and the lettering a cream/ivory shade.

• Like 2