York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

Is there any chance of reading the pictures from May last year to this thread?  Its such an amazing project, and your work is wonderful to see, it is a shame to have lost it all.  I know pre-May 2021 should eventually come back, but if you still have the images, it would be great if your able to?

Rich

• Agree 1

We've got all the pictures Rich but it would takes hours and hours.....I haven't got that time spare. We're just hoping that eventually they will be restored.  

The layout is being photographed for BRM shortly for a 'work in progress' article.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've been looking at the terraced houses alongside Leeman Road. The obvious way to get the brickwork the right colour is to use photographs of the real thing. Fortunately they are still there, so I went onto Google Street View and downloaded some images:

1369840513_garfield_002web2.jpg.441e7ea576e85be4ee333d6375c05c9c.jpg

851538491_garfield_003web3.jpg.e92d5916d9c8c64928f0d3146126b1ff.jpg

After some playing on the computer I came up with this:

888713285_YORKTERRACESweb1.jpg.03c2b7aa1dddec342414cef40d23b0f4.jpg

I reckon I can use this artwork as the basis for the models, and the brick colour will be spot on.  I need to do a sheet of just plain brick now to use for the sides, chimneys etc. The doors and windows all come from a terrace in Melton Mowbray, but don't tell anyone! 

A bit more tweaking:

1405478161_YORKTERRACES2web.jpg.8997106e4a149c4250018f7649540f0f.jpg

The Co-op shop is more of a problem because of the height. This is the best picture I could get:

1050839565_COOPWEB1.jpg.bedaafe8bb5f9802f410a1c4fb875546.jpg

Even going to York wouldn't help because you can't get back far enough to get a decent shot.  After some playing on the computer I got this:

124467030_COOPWEB2.jpg.d8c7135f2f1dd01172dde2242fd7ba24.jpg

And from that I was able to produce some useable brick paper ....

764414257_COOPWEB3.jpg.66409e8c795c35d53531b99ca3b08b2e.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, kirtleypete said:

The current thinking is that we'll do away with the carriage shed as it is and just have the wall of it as part of the backscene, freeing up space in front.

Some of your great work going to waste?

It won't be wasted, but we'll just use the wall as a flat item against the backscene. It will save a lot of space. Apart from anything else backing a train into the shed would have been interesting as you wouldn't know how far the last coach was from the end! 

Peter

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

And from that I was able to produce some useable brick paper ....

764414257_COOPWEB3.jpg.66409e8c795c35d53531b99ca3b08b2e.jpg

Is it worth trying to randomise the pattern more so that there's less repetition Pete?

• Agree 4

I don't think it will matter when all the doors and windows are in place; it does look odd when there is just a big block of brick and nothing else. I'll see how it goes, altering the artwork wouldn't be difficult.

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Though not Leeman Road a quick search threw up this rather splendid colour image of York (Colliergate) in the fifties. The brickwork is lighter than the Leeman Road area with it's proximity to the railway would have been. Also worth noting that all white window frames are scarce, the majority having a coloured border and that the colours used are less vibrant than we would recognise today.

colliergate.jpg.640f44d8e4113fa806d81c21078f85df.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

Apart from anything else backing a train into the shed would have been interesting as you wouldn't know how far the last coach was from the end! 

Peter

I've a large number of Heathcote Electronics' infrared detectors which do the job! See "Classifieds"!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've a large number of Heathcote Electronics' infrared detectors which do the job! See "Classifieds"!

I use one of these in a similar role; I have 3 dead end sidings in my fiddle yard which trains have to be reversed out of.

A 'limit of shunt' light illuminates on the panel when the train has reached a point such that it's whole legth will be clear of the entry points to the respective siding.

This is powered by an IRDOT detector.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

We've got all the pictures Rich but it would takes hours and hours.....I haven't got that time spare. We're just hoping that eventually they will be restored.  

The layout is being photographed for BRM shortly for a 'work in progress' article.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I know Andy  has said the ones from May last year won't be restored as they dont have them, it was those I was hoping for - everything prior to May should come back .. but yes appreciate the time!

Richard

12 hours ago, kirtleypete said:

It won't be wasted, but we'll just use the wall as a flat item against the backscene. It will save a lot of space. Apart from anything else backing a train into the shed would have been interesting as you wouldn't know how far the last coach was from the end! 

Peter

Infra-red detectors near the back of the shed could sort that for you, and they'd be hidden inside the building.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, kirtleypete said:

The road vehicles are arriving tomorrow which will add life to the scene.

Peter

Stunning Peter, I don't know how you do it.

I don't know how much detail you are planning with the road vehicles, but just a heads-up, back in the 1950s 'VY' and 'DN' were the York area vehicle registrations. There were of course other registrations about, but the majority would be the 'local' variants. 

• Like 2

I've been rumbled! I'm sure doors and windows in Melton Mowbray were very similar to those in York! 

I hadn't thought about changing the registrations Ian but it wouldn't be difficult. We may as well get it right. 

Peter

• Like 1
  • Funny 1