cctransuk

New Container Kit from Osborn's Models (2mm & 4mm. scales)

Osborn's Models have released their BR BM-type fresh meat container kit in 4mm. scale, in addition to the original in 2mm. scale. This is an excellent kit and can be constructed in moments - the one that I built this morning took five minutes, using superglue as the adhesive.

IMG_5940.JPG.3de100b9e1be5825fc50fbf32ae3ffbd.JPG

I have just finished painting and lettering two kits - I'm very pleased with them indeed.

(Please excuse the photographic highlights)!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

thanks for your comments John. It was Noel Lever's idea to do the 2mm version (that is 3D printed) and indeed yours to make the 4mm Version vailable as a kit. I have been told that the BM had not been done before much to my surprise.

Were these containers only ever carried singly on conflats or were they ever put several to a flat wagon  a la freightliner of more recent years?

for the avoidance of doubt it is Osborns Models and the 4mm link is here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/bm-fresh-meat-container-kit-49742-p.asp

and 2mm here

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-alnp002-bm-fresh-meat-container-49727-p.asp

please a question if I may. is there any interest in us making available a 4mm Ransome P/E crane (as in the 2mm link picture)?

• Like 1

The BMs look rather nice. Any chance of any of the various FMs in 2mm as well?

Thanks,

Simon

12 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Were these containers only ever carried singly on conflats or were they ever put several to a flat wagon  a la freightliner of more recent years?

I doubt that BMs were ever carried on bogie CONFLATs - though three B-sized containers were tried experimentally on a Gresley coach underframe.

The BMs were often unloaded whilst still on the CONFLAT - hence the instruction to LOAD ONLY ON CONFLAT painted on them. The end doors could not be opened if they were loaded three to a wagon.

John Isherwood.

BMs, and possibly some FMs, allow an opportunity for modellers of the BR period to model the LMS container flats/chassis which are quite unlike the BR, GWR and indeed LNER conflats as they are essentially just chassis with container fixing points. See for example, the cover of this book:

Simon

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

BMs, and possibly some FMs, allow an opportunity for modellers of the BR period to model the LMS container flats/chassis ....

It's a shame that the excellent cast whitemetal kit for the LMS 'CHASSIS' container wagon, which used to be produced by Cambrian Kits, is no longer available.

I've a feeling that Cambrian's cast tank wagon kit went to David Geen, but I don't recall the 'CHASSIS' being listed in that range.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

36 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's a shame that the excellent cast whitemetal kit for the LMS 'CHASSIS' container wagon, which used to be produced by Cambrian Kits, is no longer available.

John Isherwood.

Indeed, they are interesting vehicles with a lot of variety as built considering the numbers produced to just a few diagrams, and surprisingly long-lived if little photographed. In 2mm I've had a go at building 3 types:

I subsequently found out that there was a more open frameworked replacement tanker chassis etch which would have worked better than the one I used. Nonetheless loaded they should look fine. I've since used the older 2 of the four shown for something else as the Don Rowland book I linked to shows that the D1838 chassis had fittings more akin to the later chassis added at some point and I wasn't confident that any D1813 or D1838 chassis would have still been suitable for FM containers.

Simon

Edited by 65179

Having tinkered with the Conflat FM and not progressed it for lack of a container (!), there is so little of the chassis showing with the container loaded that you can get away with a solid floor for most of it and just the ends of the longitudinal members showing between the container and the headstocks (a la Parkside Shockvan). 

Edited by Wheatley