The 5 page article on Bury Thorn Tar Works in December's Railway Modeller is superbly photographed, I can only say that I wish I could model / paint / weather to that standard. It is articles like this that get my modelling mojo back running, with a will to get stuck in and improve my layout / skills.

Brit15

• Like 1

The 5 page article on Bury Thorn Tar Works in December's Railway Modeller is superbly photographed,

Brit15

Yes, the pics aren't bad at all, considering I took them on an old Sony Ericsson phone and a Fuji Finepix S800 that is getting on a bit and is the survivor of many a mine-exploring trip.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Far more important than the Hornby annoucements (Well, as I expected there's nothing in it for me, how dare they not release an 0 gauge industrial locomotive lettered for a 1960's tar distillers for less than the price of a bag of a Tesco sandwich, grumble grumble whinge whine whinge grumble!), we've taken another step towards taking BT&S on the road- I've bought a van. No, not a Slaters one.

Meet Lenny. He's an ex- Royal Mail LDV Pilot crewbus and he's terrible, but once I've removed the poor attempt at a camper conversion there should be plenty of room to stick BT&S in the back, all on the level floor minimising the chance of damage. He even looks like he's been painted with tar...

post-10340-0-02213500-1418848682_thumb.jpg

For some reason I can't get the forum to accept photos from Photobucket without major faff? Anyway...

• Like 6

Oh Matt......another paragon of the British motor industry!  Do let me know what Laura thinks of it LOL!

You'd have thought I'd have learnt by now wouldn't you... this one does have a French engine though! Part of the justification for buying him (he came named by the way, it's in tasteful stick on chrome letters on the leading edge of the bonnet) was to transport lumps of Marina around, as well as model ralilways. Laura loves him (especially now he has fluffy faux tigerskin seatcovers to match Mud), I'm really starting to worry about her...

Barnaby- will do- GlosG0G Hardwicke show in March is a possibility, but I'll definitely post on here when there's any news ;)

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha, stick on letters.....oh hang on, Debs wants the name on the front of Voirrey the Lorry...aka the Ducato camper!  (Voirrey = Manx for Mary, pro. Vorry) I should be more careful in what I say.  No seat covers though.  Really, Laura.....

On topic for a change, I would love to see BT&S should a show ever coincide with a visit to the adjacent island.  It's just so....perfect.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Depends which bit breaks... but yes, almost certainly! Gearbox is an R380, potentially containing custard and iron filings from the slickness of the gearshift!

Phase 1 of the backscene reinforcement is now complete, will update later this week hopefully. I've also resprayed the Fowler (still in bits currently) and made a bit of progress on a couple of wagon kits, I'm probably not far off enough having enough stock now really (except locos, which we're really rather short on) but I'll probably build a few more vans. The stock has already been out "on tour" a couple of times and doubtless will do again so it's nice to have a decent rake.

Dave has sent us the artwork for the custom transfers and, as of this morning, my young lady has acquired a laptop capable of running photoshop so I'll making some tweaks and hopefully getting a few more run off (once I've worked out where- I don't have a printer), specifically the roundel for the cabsides of the Fowler.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Seem to remember one of the Leodest & Larivane fleet is a Voirrey is it not? 

You know you're always more than welcome to drop in on us on your travels Sir :)

Oooops missed this, sorry Matt!

Yes, the VoR is 'Voirrey Quirk', the well known three foot gauge relation to those Welsh ones....ahem. :angel:

Not sure where we'll be at this summer, Debs is awaiting some surgery...again....middle age stinks.  If we get that far sarf we will try to look you up! :sungum:

• Like 1

Keep us posted Mister Neil :)

It lives! Managed to set BT&S up today, as a complete layout for the first time. Power still seems to be getting to where it should be, and the points all worked which is a relief! We do seem to have a dead frog on one point which I need to look at, and the Fowler seems to have a dislike of the inset track- possibly flange contact (ooh err). Track needs a good clean (and then have a go with the graphite sticks Dave recommended for better contact) but it was great to get to "play" at last. 

The Fowler's new livery certainly divided opinion- it needs BTS roundels (as on the tankers) on the cabsides (any recommendations for good custom transfer manufacturers? Dave has given us the artwork), various detail bits reattaching and a few extras adding, rods painting red, and a generous helping of dirt to tone it down a bit! It's chipped now (Hornby- it's the smallest 8 pin one Antics had in the shop- a TCS DP2x- UK direct one wouldn't fit surprisingly- still too tall!) and runs really very nicely.

Couple of different viewpoints, and the Fowler on test.

post-10340-0-01927200-1420227184_thumb.jpg

post-10340-0-25083900-1420227212_thumb.jpg

post-10340-0-98463900-1420227239_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That Fowler is looking good Matt.  I like the livery too.

How big are the roundels going to be.  Self printed transfer film from Craft Computer Paper is an option.  It can be a bit shiny but if the roundels aren't too big and you are going to weather over them then they may be OK.

Idea was to pretty much fill the relatively square area of cabside ahead of the opening (where most people put the worksplate, which will migrate elsewhere). Without going and waving a ruler at it, probably about 1/2" a side? Could be worth a go. It'll get a dusting of lacquer once it's done, it's only loosely reassembled to test it (no glue!).

Meant to say, we did try a Lionheart 64xx, no way- it's definitely not a big engine layout :D Looked good though!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trip to the Brizzle 0 gauge show. Wasn't really planning on spending any money, other than perhaps the odd wagon and a few detailing odds and sods. Managed to elbow through the crowd around the EDM/ NG Models stand (actually I ran away and came back later) to drop off my Fowler for sound chipping, and had a good natter to Paul & Mike, and caught up with "Tim C" Tim who has very kindly printed off some BTS transfers for the Fowler. 

Then went for a looksee around the second hand stalls. A nice looking Agenoria Hudswell Clarke "Hilda" on the Bring & Buy caught my eye, but it was the Swindonised version and anyway it's a bit of a big old lump- and I'd told myself beforehand to behave and not make any impulse purchases.

Continued my meander.

Erm, ooops...

post-10340-0-27696000-1422219204_thumb.jpg

post-10340-0-65587000-1422219309_thumb.jpg

post-10340-0-83912700-1422219369_thumb.jpg

I'm not very good at this whole "self restraint" lark... But it suits they layout (probably why Dave has two!) and was a very good price in my opinion. Need to try and get it apart to chip it now... 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Trip to the Brizzle 0 gauge show. Managed to elbow through the crowd around the EDM/ NG Models stand (actually I ran away and came back later) to drop off my Fowler for sound chipping, and had a good natter to Paul & Mike

Good to meet you Matt - as you realised Paul gets so busy answering questions that we had to operate a queuing system whilst I worked the bar-code reader and collected the cash - for some reason almost every customer wanted Kadee couplers so lots of small sales but nothing big - in fact the takings were more at our little narrow gauge show at Mickleover on Saturday with only about 80 visitors ! !

Cheers Gents. Now Tim has reminded me I should say- BT&S is confirmed (in it's current state- so no lighting rig etc and with some improvements to the wiring still required & some detailing work to do) for GlosG0G's Hardwicke show (the edge of Gloucester) on the 29th of March. This is likely to be it's only show of 2015 but we do have one lined up for 2016 already- by which time I should have built some form of lighting rig! Hopefully the Fowler will be in action demonstrating Tim's transfers and the EDM sound project :)

Mike, I couldn't get near the stand when I first arrived (about half 11) so it certainly looked busy! I didn't get the ticking off I was expecting when I got home with my new purchase (should have thought about it really, I left with one Ixion box and came back with another...) so perhaps I should have pushed my luck and left the Manly Waddle with Paul as well.

It's also the first railway show I've been to where I've been presented with a CD of metal(ish) music, cheers Keith!

• Like 3

You naughty NAUGHTY boy but it happens to us all, well it happens to me too.

In best military style I 've devised some counter tactics to avoid the skirmish with the Station Mistress in such circumstances.

* leave the goods in the car and wait for her to retire, then sneak out and retrieve it under cover of darkness.

** bring her in a choccy treat in one hand while camouflaging the goods under a magazine in the other hand.  This distraction needs some practice to prefect.

*** take her with me and give her some funds to go and treat herself in a nearby shopping mall.  This is called bribing the locals.

Remember you will need to mix them up so the Station Mistress doesn't begin to get too suspicious and deprive you of wedding cake privileges or worse still demands to have a wedding cake.

Hope to get to Gloucester for the show, it's my birthday end of March and Gloucester docks has some suitable shopping outlets she likes.

Regards 

She's very good actually, considering the car is a bit of a money sink as well- I'm lucky!

However- after some experimentation I have found that the favoured option for bribery/ distraction is the chocolate- although we still have a houseful from Christmas so the effectiveness is somewhat reduced.

Be good to see you are Hardwicke, it's not to far from the Quays shopping outlet thingy. Guest operators and stock will be enthusiastically welcomed!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...