Almost off topic, but I viewed the excellent Yeoman's Quay layout recently and they had modelled the Iron Mink van body filled with concrete used at a south west(?) port.  It later had a drawbar hook attached so it could be pulled back into position by a locomotive whenever necessary after overzealous shunting!!!

post-17823-0-09374100-1376212679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 11

Hello Dave great work again with your stencilling.

I assume you applied the spray mount to the back of the stencil so as not to dirty up the frontage....................... mind you if you wanted some dirty on there you could have done.

Regards

Yes, Barnaby, the stencil was sprayed, not the building.

Some interesting ideas for the siding but here's my solution.

attachicon.gifBTSL-003.jpg

Plasticard, shaped to the diameter of a wagon wheel and glued to the rail top but backed up by being glued to a piece of brass rod that is drilled and glued into the baseboard.

I've been having a play and today has been Peckett day. :senile:

attachicon.gifBTSL-001.jpg

The stop blocks work and don't sacrifice a couple of inches of precious siding. The photo of the three locos is superb. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I remember some people would've liked an 85a Hunslet - out of necessity I've put my untouched one up for sale

"with its dummy coal still wrapped and unfixed"

Actually it is real coal. I used to smash it between two bricks and then wash and sieve it to size. :)

It should also have a similar pack of special grease for lubrication. Don't use oil -- it will soften the connecting rods.

The full user notes are still available here (section A): http://templot.com/martweb/kitins.htm

Please note this model is long since discontinued and I cannot supply any parts or other help after 15 years. Sorry.

Martin.

• Like 1

"with its dummy coal still wrapped and unfixed"

Actually it is real coal. I used to smash it between two bricks and then wash and sieve it to size. :)

Martin.

Ah, I should have unwrapped it to check......

Seriously Martin, you did a beautiful job with these locos - I almost think you were ahead of your time......

It should also have a similar pack of special grease for lubrication. Don't use oil -- it will soften the connecting rods.

Hi Martin

Can you at least give us a clue what the 'special grease' should be, please? (For those of us who have bought secondhand locos without any!)

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin

Can you at least give us a clue what the 'special grease' should be, please? (For those of us who have bought secondhand locos without any!)

Hi Dave,

Don't use silicone or other synthetic grease as these are non-conducting and will seriously degrade the split-axle pick-ups. The result of arcing through silicone grease will cause permanent abrasive damage.

You need a hydrocarbon grease having low contact resistance and formulated to be safe on plastics. (Many hydrocarbon greases such as automotive types contain oils and solvents which are not plastics-safe.)

The only such grease I can find on a quick web search is RS stock no. 556-446: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/greases/0556446/

"Maintains low contact resistance on all types of wiping, sliding and non-arcing electrical contacts, including low power make-and-break switches

First-class mechanical lubricant for bearings, small gears, pivots and slides, but not meter and watch bearings

Special anti-corrosive properties for lubricating thermoplastics under stress, such as gear mechanisms

Non-silicone, hydrocarbon base"  

Unfortunately it is available only in packs of 5 tubes of 50ml, so you will have enough to last several lifetimes. The model trade may be supplying similar grease in smaller quantities, but most such model "micro grease" tends to be synthetic types.

I wouldn't recommend a conductive oil such as Electrolube as the lower viscosity will require more frequent use and promote absorption into the connecting rods and wheel centres, causing them to soften.

regards,

Martin.

Guest Isambarduk

Yes, I agree: Martin was way ahead of his time with his Hunslet and it was a shame for most of us that he decided to persue Templot - but it was his choice to make and I can well understand why.

I can thoroughly recommend this model to anybody contemplating placing a bid.  My own model appears on the 85A Models website in the Hunslet Gallery and how I altered the standard kit to become Airedale, the first of the series of 15" Hunslets, is expalined in the Hunslet Forum.

David

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

‘I were ‘shunter lad then.  We had a little, tiny engine then that wouldn’t pull owt, only one wagon, can’t remember what she  were called .I would get up at five to light up. Should have been the driver’s job but he was allas late  I’d get theer at quarter to six and go straight down. We’d use empty tar barrels that we’d bust up a bit of inflammable stuff, and ‘fizz’. Get coal on and get out o’ road.  Driver rode and fired it, I was theer to help ’shunterTheer were two mainline shunts a day, one at half past seven, the other at dinnertime  They used to bring ‘em down as far as the weighbridge  And then they used to fetch all ours out at tea time, about half past four. Normally we were really busy, but it eased off in‘t summertime. They got it inter theer minds that we needed two shifts. Then we had ’gaffer, ’ main gaffer, come and spend a day wi’ us to see what we were doin’. On the afternoon shift we spent the time shoving the tanks about, coupled t’ engine, back’ards and for’ards, he thought that we were shuntin, but we were just kiddin’ him on like.  He spent up to about eight o'clock at night then he went home, he’d had enough.  It were on afternoons that we used to play cricket, ‘day shift used to do most of ’work’.

This from    http://www.evra.org.uk/Ellison/page1.htm      - I wonder if this website may possibly have influenced the development of Bury Thorn & Sons? :yes:

Ixion Chris - there's a nice photo of a Fowler diesel on there too !!

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave

Just found this topic. Superb layout and really enjoyed reading and watching the videos you have posted. You have captures a lot of atmosphere in this layout. The locos you have what company produces them?  I particularly like the Ruston diesel

Look forward to seeing more pictures and videos.

Scott

• 3 months later...

I've spent the last day reading through this thread again from the beginning, and it is truly inspirational.

Dave, you have one of the most beautiful O gauge layouts in the world, truly awe inspiring.

Has there been anything else done to BTS since your last update, or have you been focusing solely on your 00 gauge micro?