It would never have occurred to me in a month of Sundays to use that colour for locos - but it's great! It takes lettering and weathering beautifully.....

Especially in a tar works!!!  But as you say they both look wonderful and the base colour really enhances the weathering effect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly ready (ish) for Yate on Saturday. Now have the second handset set up so operation should hopefully be a little slicker and we'll be running "two engine in steam" operation. Should probably invest in some flagmen...

Have been busy on the wagon fleet these last few weeks, and have a couple more to add to the fleet (once I've retransferred a couple that disappeared in weathering). Will try and get some photos at the weekend.

Visitors to the Bristol 0 gauge show the other week may have spotted a couple of BTS bits and pieces too.  

• Like 3

It would never have occurred to me in a month of Sundays to use that colour for locos - but it's great! It takes lettering and weathering beautifully.....

A little more in the join between tank and boiler, the buffer beams and your soot over the boiler top, and you've got something rather special.

I think it (and the Fowler)'s absolutely super.

I agree Giles.

There is something very magical and 'freeing' about having locos in 'company' colours that are not the mainstream norm. I understand that modellers in the US often make up fictitious companies for whole railway networks - which must be very liberating - and many of them are to a high standard and very credible. I endeavour to do similar with my NG models.

With Bury, Thorn & Son's, the livery, if detailed and explained verbally, or in the written word, wouldnt seem to work/appropriate, but the models and the photos thereof, are, in the flesh (on here - so to speak), are credible, nostalgic and superbly executed - very inspiring.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

…...Visitors to the Bristol 0 gauge show the other week may have spotted a couple of BTS bits and pieces too.  

Well - I did see these two little filthy urchins having a right tug-of-war over three grotty tar tankers!  They looked quite superb - my photo does not do them justice.

post-17823-0-39537000-1455121581_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this for a while- mainly 'cos, after a frantic few weeks trying to get enough stock finished for Yate show, I've been ignoring the layout and getting on with other things.

Show went really well (well, I think so anyway)- except for the Peckett not wanting to make any noise everything behaved itself (including the operators) and it seemed to be well recieved. However, I completely failed to take any photos. So I took a couple of quick ones of some of the more recently finished wagons this afternoon.

The 16 tonner is actually slightly noteworthy as it's the first 7mm wagon kit I built- it's been built but unpainted for several years now, I was dreading weathering it but I must admit I'm dead pleased with how it's turned out. The base coats are Tamiya military ones, I tried a couple- the 16t is pretty much spot on but the cupboard door is too blue, I couldn't be bothered repainting it. It doesn't look too bad running on the layout.

20160320_162929.jpg

20160320_162750.jpg

20160320_163009.jpg

• Like 18

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another wonderfully superb little O gauge industrial layout!  I love the charm and character of these totally.  Any progress on the layout detailing (can it be detailed any more??) or loco/wagon fleet at all Matt?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If he posts any more pictures of the real thing - pretending yet again that they are models - then he's on a Final Warning..!! :nono: :shout: :jester:

Always nice to see good high quality 'originals'  :jester:

Rich

Ha, thanks Rich!

Not a lot I'm afraid, Summer has been the usual chaos on the classic vehicle front- helping with retube and fitting a new valve spring on the roller, getting a very knackered standard Fordson tractor running again, getting the Marina sorted for it's trip to the bodyshop etc (they aren't all mine- I seem to have a number of friends with very eccentric vehicle choices!). No doubt progress will resume now the evenings are drawing in again! A few more wagons to build, some Lionheart tankers to relivery and a few that are built but need painting/ weathering. I do want to add a few little bits and pieces to some of the quieter corners of the layout too.

I did take advantage of the dry weather to spray the Peckett so that's now in sand, but not yet weathered (and indeed is in bits), andI also decided that the Manning Wardle looked a bit dull in black so it's now light green. Dave very kindly sent me the BT&S nameplates off of his pair when they were reallocated to Royd Hall so it'll almost certainly become No. 4 with the nameplate instead of a transfer (makes my life easier too...). I'll crack on with these after the round Britain by Triumph trip in a week and a bit- finishing the few odds and sods on the car is the current priority!

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Corbs. I'll have to let you know if I get any exhibition invites down your way!

Struggling for motivation a bit at the moment, need to make a few hours clear to sit down and throw some weathering powders at the Peckett & MW. Quite pleased with the paint on the Peckett so don't want to make a hash of the weathering now...

• Like 1

Same colour as the others now but in half a dozen pieces in a box- I've painted the cab interior but need to decide what I want to do with the red moulded plastic, and the rods- debating red rods on the loco, or painting the rest out steel. The MW is green but there's one tank side that needs flatting back and another coat of paint- I polished through the paint and when I repainted it it didn't come out quite the same colour so I obviously didn't do a good enough job of mixing the paint. Still, at least I've got rid of the pink bufferbeams at last...

I need to finish the Terrier as well but I'm still considering putting a keep alive in (although it runs pretty well), so I'm putting off doing the underframe until I've made up my mind.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not a lot I'm afraid, I've run it a few times but that's about it! The next jobs are weathering and personally I like to sit and get on with it instead of doing a bit here and a bit there, unfortunately I've either not had the time and/ or inclination to do so. The fact that the "railway room" is in an extension with electric heaters, and I have to go through the living room with the woodburner in order to get there, has absolutely no bearing on the latter- honest!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All gone quiet over here...

Layout will be at Hardwicke mini 0 gauge exhibition on the 19th of this month, along with Mike Bragg's most recently completed layout (the name of which currently escapes me), the test track and possibly one other. Plus a few traders.

Hopefully have the very unsubtle Peckett finished by then. The sand paint is LOUD on an engine of that size...

• Like 3

It's supposed to be an "old" BT&S livery. I'll be sticking a set of nameplates removed from one of Dave's engines on tomorrow to give it some form of identity!

The honest reason is I couldn't find a shade of sand/ tan close enough to brush paint it, so I went for something I had on the shelf. The paint was actually left over from that bought for a 16mm/ ft loco.

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 2