SR 15T Brake Vans

Rick_Skateboard

Hello All,

Does anybody know if the lighter 15T Pill Box brake vans built by the Southen Railway were the same size as the 25T versions? By 'size' I mean the dimensions of the cabin, the lenth of the undeframe, wheelbase etc.  I've read the underframe is shallower on the 15T variant as there was more ballast weight stuffed into the 25T ones.  Does having a shallower underframe mean the height of the roof from rail height is lower?  I'm wondering if a Bachmann model could be used as the basis of a conversion. 

I believe SR brake vans are covered in the book "An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Volume 4", can anyone who's got the book confirm if there is a drawing of the 15T type? And/or the 25T type to compare against?  If so, I'll try to buy myself a copy.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Rick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rick 

The Channel depth on the 25t versions was approximately 4" deeper than the 15T versions with the buffers mounted at at the bottom edge of the deeper channel to maintain the same height. The 25t van height above the railhead was 11' 5.7/8" therefore 4" higher than the 15t version.

• Informative/Useful 1

R,

An Illustated History of Southern Wagons Vol 4 does contain drawings for both the 15T and 25T brake vans, and states that the 15T "... vans had an identical body to that of the 25-ton vans ...".

However, getting hold of the Cambrian kit would seem to be the best way to go.

Regards

TMc

• RMweb Gold

Yes the bodies are identical on both versions with the additional depth of the sole bar channel being reflected in the increased height to the roof top on the 25t versions. 

Thanks for all the replies.

I was aware of the Cambrian kit, but I already have a Bachmann 25T brake van, so I was planning to use that if the body was the same - which I now know it is!  I might try scratchbuilding an underframe, and rob a few bits from the Bachmann model.   I'll also try to get hold of the book, because I never need much encouraging to buy railway books, and it's probably going to contain other things I'll find useful or interesting.

Thanks again.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/11/2020 at 14:08, Steamport Southport said:

Cambrian do a kit. Might save you a bit of work.

Says out of stock, but he tends to do them in small batches when there is demand. Look online as retailers might has some in stock. 

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/C95-SR-15ton-Brake-Van-Kit-D1581-p94211660

Jason

I got an unopened  Cambrian one recently on Ebay, so worth keeping an eye open there.