Christmas Layouts 2020

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

My brother-in-law and his family have decided to ‘go early’ and put their Christmas tree up yesterday, partly in recognition that 2020 has been a rather strange year. 

I’m thinking I might do something snowy and Swiss-themed to go under our tree after seeing a Busch 5143 lighted Christmas tree online. 

Has anyone else got any plans for a Christmas layout this year?

Hello nice idea, I have already  started a layout in a box layout themed around an early preservation site using small industrial/BR small shunters  in a winter based time of year.  

Station lights were previously made for a layout and not used , now have a use for them (12v grain of wheat bulbs running from a 9v pp3 battery)  giving an oil lamp like glow. scenic material  used has a toned down colour in keeping with the time of year even though its my intention to use scenic snow as a final cover. Just have to source a number of people in winter clothing from the 1970,80s era. 

when i work out how to post some pics ( there on my phone )will post a few.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know it’s not a layout more a display but rather than a loop around the tree I went for this last year

97037D6C-D8BF-4BB9-8012-DBAAF9840F25.jpeg.3858737112daccb162980ed44bd7dfc0.jpeg

a pair of brightly coloured freight trains with small baubles in the wagons on top of the fire place. It got a lot of nice comments from visitors without the issue of it being knocked over if it were on the floor.

the deer head and Santa hat are optional but highly recommended

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jchinuk said:

Nice!

We need a thread for that under:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/2-products-trade-area/

I can just see the comments:

‘What prototype is that based on?!’

’Aldi never release anything from my era/scale...’

’£29.99? It's far too expensive.’

’I don’t like locos with DCC music.’

etc.

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2020 at 15:08, PaulRhB said:

Just take it a bit further ;) 

6C612FEB-3B62-43D5-9DB8-851BDB976599.jpeg.5fd3e1c0468e660748b06de0abf7b94b.jpeg

Exactly, although our Christmas tree will be 1:1 scale!

TBH Paul, your Bonsai RhB was part of the reason I started building Veja Megstra. 

Last Christmas I installed this on my desk at work:

8F440534-A551-487B-A047-B203AC373300.jpeg.7b52a6925282fd7b5fccdefc8354a5a9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve been asked by one of my friend’s wife if I could recommend a suitable train to go around under their Christmas tree. She’d like sound and smoke if possible?

I’ve always liked the idea of the LGB Stainz starter set myself but it’s the wrong side of £300. 

It makes you think that Hornby might be missing a trick with their 00 offerings as they could do so much more with them in terms of movement, sound and lights. Definite opportunity for a TTS Christmas sounds chip I reckon. 

Interestingly there are a lot of Christmas train sets on Amazon for at or around £30 e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Locomotive-Christmas-Accessory-Decoration/dp/B08LMCHXXG/ref=asc_df_B08LMCHXXG/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276306363006&th=1&psc=1

The problem with most of them would be that you couldn’t extend them if you ever wanted to and some of them are super tacky!

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MrTea said:

It makes you think that Hornby might be missing a trick with their 00 offerings as they could do so much more with them in terms of movement, sound and lights. Definite opportunity for a TTS Christmas sounds chip I reckon. 

They have a van with TTS sounds in so they could use the "Santa's sleigh in transit" van for some suitable Christmas sounds for that set.

Add a few lights and it could be like this:

:rolleyes:

Edited by melmerby
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

They have a van with TTS sounds in so they could use the "Santa's sleigh in transit" van for some suitable Christmas sounds for that set.

Add a few lights and it could be like this:

:rolleyes:

I didn’t know that existed. Thanks!

That would make some model wouldn’t it?!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrTea said:

Kato do two Operation North Pole sets with a Chicago commuter set decorated for Christmas. There are extension sets too but they are getting harder to find. 
https://www.traintrax.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=North+Pole

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrTea said:

Some of the other North American operators have special  trains for the festive season but not all as colourful as CP's.

CN have done with lights in the past.

• RMweb Premium

Been trying really hard this week not to buy a Bachmann Big Hauler set off eBay!

I remember being fascinated by large scale trains like LGB when I was younger and also the Playmobil trains that ran on 45mm LGB track. 

I’d never realised that there was quite such a complicated history behind these models. According to this link http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html there are 5 different generations of motors and pick up systems since the first RC set with plastic track was launched back in 1988. 

It would look rather splendid going round the living room though. 

• RMweb Gold

Yes the later ‘Anniversary’ mech was a huge improvement although as I picked up two of the original battery ones for £20 in a warehouse clearance I wasn’t too worried about their dodgy rc and converted them to track power by putting metal wheels on the tender. The early track powered big haulers were also notorious for splitting gears, my 2-4-2 had three replacement axles. 
Great fun but I’d also suggest looking out for cheap LGB Porters, the start set versions LG&B can be a good buy, as they look a bit less ridiculous on 2ft radius. 

• RMweb Premium

There is my little article for this thread.  I am normally mot a fan of kitchy stuff, but as my better half asked nicely I did it...

So what do we need? A Santa, a coal truck and some Christmas presents...

The whole thing in the making - just another 50 parcels to make...

50667365038_bb8348f22c_h.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-11-29 at 13.18.57

Now we are there. The parcels are 4x4mm obeche wood, cut into squares, sanded, treated with sanding sealer, painted with all kind of colours and strings are added by the use of self adhesive metallised tape. Santa is actually a 7mm guy, we want a large Santa.. Beard and rucksack are made from miliput. A bit of paint and on we go. The whole thing can be removed, so the truck isn't lost.

50668179157_ede83959fb_h.jpg20201129_174526

And thats it. I live in Newport Pagnell - so the engine is of course one of the Newport (nobby) range. Webb coal tank, YouChoose/zimo sound.

50668154026_ee8332b7fe_b.jpg20201201_125801

Edited by Vecchio
Video added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2020 at 18:22, Zunnan said:

86ED8004-DE09-436F-B942-57C72EB80BF2.jpeg.143137d5ba51347b817d2c2d329d5594.jpeg

At what point does a Christmas tree layout become excessive?

Before or after the Sachs IVk takes to the rails?!

6E00AF77-6498-4BAC-B37F-65D80820A6E0.jpeg.edcac6538657e962a6790e236ff4238b.jpeg

We used to have the LGB Mallet with wagons full of teddy bears and parcels running around the tree, just for the kids of course :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

We used to have the LGB Mallet with wagons full of teddy bears and parcels running around the tree, just for the kids of course :D

The Stainz starter set provides the normal tree service for ours, though we're being a little more 'mature' this year. I've laid an extension to the fridge and we have a rake of opens which just so happen to fit 3 beer bottles in each, and with a bit of sealant the doors have been made watertight for packing with ice for good measure, so the IVk has been drafted in for a bit more muscle on the heavier loadings.

I blame Christmas trips to Hamleys with my dad back in the '80s for my association of that little Stainz locomotive and a few 4 wheel coaches as being more a tree decoration than for the garden railway.

• Like 2