Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Other than having to carry out a minor underframe bodge, which I am going to ignore, I'm quite happy with the way that the MR 8 ton van turned out. I'll paint it and set it aside for a couple of days. I find that the LMS grey doesn't cover too well so I use three thin coats. 

Can anyone confirm that the underfames were also grey and only the ironwork black?

IMG_20211026_065459.jpg.1ca5a03d4bbf9e6deca93ac7a83b2dd6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I dont think it is easy to confirm anything.   Speaking generally about wagons it looks like the ironwork was all black when built but when repainting it looks like the ironwork on the body may be overpainted with the body colour.

The sole bars could be wood or metal.   If wooden they would be painted with the body colour. I suspect that when repainting the solebars would often be painted body colour whatever the material.

Metalwork below the solebars was generally black.

This is based on photos and comments in articles over the years. Foolishly I never made notes of such details as a lad. Although I have the impression that few wagons saw a paintbrush in BR days other than the new ones.  Someone may have better info perhaps a grandfather who worked in a wagon repair shop.

Don

Edited by Donw
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Other than having to carry out a minor underframe bodge, which I am going to ignore, I'm quite happy with the way that the MR 8 ton van turned out. I'll paint it and set it aside for a couple of days. I find that the LMS grey doesn't cover too well so I use three thin coats. 

Can anyone confirm that the underfames were also grey and only the ironwork black?

With respect to @Donw, one can be precise for Midland and LMS days up to 1936, all-over grey including solebars, headstocks, and all ironwork at solebar level and above; everything below solebar level, black. That applies to wooden or steel underframes (these vans have wooden underframes). 

I'm not so well up on the style for post-1936 bauxite. Black solebars were a feature of BR unfitted grey livery; even then I'm not sure of that was only for steel frames?

What LMS grey paint have you used? I use Precision, but over an undercoat of Halfords rattle-can grey plastic primer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Would the W irons, V hangers etc be painted black where they continue over and are bolted to the timber solebars?

I believe that they were the same colour as the solebar where fitted to it and the black lower down. 

Don

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Donw said:

I believe that they were the same colour as the solebar where fitted to it and the black lower down. 

Don

Thanks, that would make more sense if only from a purely economic standpoint. I know that plenty of private owner wagons had most or all of the ironwork picked out in black, which is why I asked the question.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This set of photos should make the standard Midland / early LMS livery abundantly clear. Note especially the sharp distinction between grey solebars and black running gear...

88-G5_67.jpg

[Embedded link to Midland Railway Study Centre catalogue thumbnail for Items 88-G5/67/1-3.]

Note how on the coke wagon, the body ironwork might be taken for black: it's simply that the paint on the metalwork and woodwork has worn and dirtied differently.

Here's an example of ex-works finish. The only black above the bottom of the solebar is the brake lever and guide and the background of the numberplate and load/ticket plate (I'm not sure if the buffer heads and drawbar hooks were painted):

64095.jpg

[Embedded link to Midland Railway Study Centre catalogue thumbnail for Item64095.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Thanks all of you for clarifying that. I'd better adjust a couple of LMS wagons that I already have, (got all carried away painting the black bits.)

Oddly enough the instructions that came with the Slater's kits do mention the Midland painting the coupling hooks, links, buffer heads and shanks black but doesn't say anything about the black lower ironwork where it overlaps with the solebars. 

The above mentioned components certainly look to be painted black in the ex works photo. 

Edited by MrWolf
The internet signal being a particularly **** juggling thunder **** this day...
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A possibly far more cat among the pigeons question being:

Were Great Western loco coal wagons painted grey or black?

(Logs out of RMWeb, disappears into Fuhrer bunker, marries Miss Riding Hood and awaits the inevitable....)

• Funny 7

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes. When?

Let's say anything running in 1938.

Just to try and pin down the period. Although I have a penchant for locomotives that had been sold or scrapped by 1930, just to be awkward. Which is another excuse for my fictitious line in a real location.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Grey.

Ostensibly made by mixing 1 part white to 7 parts black, but I doubt if it was quite that exact at times!

(Not sure if these weathered darker or lighter.)

Good point though, I never use a pure black for anything, either in models or paintings. It simply doesn't look right at the smaller scale.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Regularity said:

(Not sure if these weathered darker or lighter.)

Depends on what the white pigment was, I believe. White lead earlier, going black by reaction with atmospheric sulphur compounds; probably something else from the early/mid 30s.

• Informative/Useful 1

In between working out the perspectives on another painting, I've bulldozed aside some of the junk on the workbench and made a start on fabricating a roof for the signalbox. I cut down the original Wills' roof lengthwise because I knew it should fit.

I've used the supplied ridge piece because it features a rib that lines up the two halves of the roof. It has no ridge tile detail so will be cut off flush and replaced with an item from the Wills' roof detail pack.

IMG_20211028_175057.jpg.f080037cbd43b16a5f89e2d7680e3dab.jpg

Underneath it has two false inner gables to locate the roof as I intend to fit a small LED light inside.

IMG_20211028_175108.jpg.65df286022bb2f25ddae18d4920a16e6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Following on from @Regularity's post regarding the colour of the loco coal wagons, I've been giving the idea some thought.

Somewhere in the box of doom, there's a couple of DIA. N13 wagons and one or two of a different diagram. 

When I have sorted out the signalbox, point rodding and cattle dock, I'll probably need a sanity break, so I'll put those together.

For the finish, I'm thinking of spraying them matt black, followed by drybrushing the centres of the panels in a mix of matt black, dark grey and gunmetal.

Apply transfers, further dry brushing with the above mix and the regular weathering to the frames.

You never know, it might work!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A possibly far more cat among the pigeons question being:

Were Great Western loco coal wagons painted grey or black?

(Logs out of RMWeb, disappears into Fuhrer bunker, marries Miss Riding Hood and awaits the inevitable....)

I say steady on old chap lupine, don't doing anything rash. 

Logging off RMWeb is a serious move, and needs serious consideration.

Adrian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Original kit ridge tile (lack of) detail filed off.

IMG_20211028_204947.jpg.8ee9cc028f2ef7cc423d85c750d43445.jpg

One option might have been to lay individual roof tiles, made from rectangles of paper, over the existing ridge.

• Agree 1