Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Knowing my luck, that would become permanently welded to the roof as well as the rain strip! 

Metal version:

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-metal-4-piece-geometry-set/5013872036447.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6cyC6tP_8wIVWNnVCh3acAXvEAQYASABEgIEKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Fishplate said:

A60 Cambridge

Ah, fond memories of the day my provisional licence arrived and my brother-in-law let me have a go. I showed him how I do bunny hops with the clutch. :mellow:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Now that is useful - I’ve been after a 150mm metal ruler for a while…

I have 3 of these:

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-30-cm-metal-safety-rule/0000000832649.html

3 because the numbers wear off, so 2 for cutting and one for measuring.

When I say 'wear', it's more gouged as the frame of the snap-off bladed knife catches the rule.

433643069_20211105_0907422.jpg.a6a163dfc6d924b548dadf1812e936df.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Now that is useful - I’ve been after a 150mm metal ruler for a while…

A 6" rule is essential, I use mine for getting the lids off paint tins, stirring tea and occasionally measuring stuff...

Seriously though, a 12" rule is often too unwieldy for our purposes. Once you get a 6" engineer's rule, you'll wonder how you managed without.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have finally got round to buying a 4mm scale rule, saves an awful lot of mental arithmetic when scratch building or setting out roadways etc.

I found it really useful when scratch building all the structures on Bovey Tor. Don't leave home without it as they say.

• Agree 3

Managed to get a little modelling time this morning. Two packs worth of rodding cut off the sprues and cleaned up. The grey planked sheet is a useful item that comes with a lot of Wills'kits and isn't always required.

It has some very fine woodgrain and I'm going to cut the lead off boards from it.

IMG_20211105_115037.jpg.30887a19bdc455c1412bc914f724865d.jpg

Photo posted on fourth attempt. Lousy internet.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Managed to get a little modelling time this morning. Two packs worth of rodding cut off the sprues and cleaned up. The grey planked sheet is a useful item that comes with a lot of Wills'kits and isn't always required.

It has some very fine woodgrain and I'm going to cut the lead off boards from it.

IMG_20211105_115037.jpg.8e34da63c3d556eb6cb7eb6d56a2c2d6.jpg

Photo posted on fourth attempt. Lousy internet.

Looking good, is this the Modelu kit?

The Midland van turned out very well after all. I suspect that the floor was either the wrong one or had been badly filed down by the previous owner.

The rest went together with a minor slimming of the brake gear. It runs very well.

IMG_20210516_121220.jpg.c8fe549e65546cb9e4151fc51560bc3a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2021 at 22:36, MrWolf said:

This kit is several decades old and may have been upgraded by now. 

Mid-late 70s, I believe. As recently reissued it is much as it ever was. The principal progression has been from Pressfix to waterslide transfers.

On 04/11/2021 at 13:27, MrWolf said:

If anyone has an easy way to fit their own rainstrips, please let me know!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gedward said:

On the subject of rules, just ordered an O gauge rule for the next layout.

I mentioned the value of using a scale rule  in an editorial ( 0 gauge gazette) and some kind soul  sent me a few that he had printed and laminated Just the strips. Very useful and you could measure round a curve. It is more than just the ease of not calculating it is also less easy to make a mistake. I know that a door will usually be 2ft 6in or 2ft 9in wide and the height 6ft to 6ft 6in. Convert it to the scale equivalent in 7mm and the values do not mean anything to me.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think that I have got used to engineering mathematics and converting one thing to another from tinkering with vintage motorcycles most of my life.

Typically, a British made motorcycle will have the cylinder bore and crankshaft stroke measured in millimetres, but the oversized pistons are sized +20 +40 +60 thou increments. Yet the big end journals are imperial with -10,20,30 thou undersizes. The capacity is measured in cubic centimetres, yet every nut and bolt is in imperial fractional sizes. Except one. The bike I pictured earlier has one but that is stranger than I am, stranger than the one I live with even.

It's on the end of the crankshaft and serves as a locknut for the helical oil pump drive gear. It has a 7/16" left hand cycle thread, at 20 tpi, but the external hexagon takes a 20mm spanner. Even people who worked at the Small Heath factory can only surmise that it was a reminder to assembly fitters of a left hand thread.

When it comes to marking out a kit of parts for a model railway building, I would rather have the conversions on the rule than have to do mental arithmetic every time I pick up the scriber or pencil.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2021 at 13:55, Barclay said:

Having said that - 90mph? No chance !

Depends of the height from which you drop it. I assume the terminal velocity for a Cambridge A60 would be in reasonable excess of that for a falling human body (125mph or so, IIRC).

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I think that I have got used to engineering mathematics and converting one thing to another from tinkering with vintage motorcycles most of my life.

Typically, a British made motorcycle will have the cylinder bore and crankshaft stroke measured in millimetres, but the oversized pistons are sized +20 +40 +60 thou increments. Yet the big end journals are imperial with -10,20,30 thou undersizes. The capacity is measured in cubic centimetres, yet every nut and bolt is in imperial fractional sizes. Except one. The bike I pictured earlier has one but that is stranger than I am, stranger than the one I live with even.

It's on the end of the crankshaft and serves as a locknut for the helical oil pump drive gear. It has a 7/16" left hand cycle thread, at 20 tpi, but the external hexagon takes a 20mm spanner. Even people who worked at the Small Heath factory can only surmise that it was a reminder to assembly fitters of a left hand thread.

When it comes to marking out a kit of parts for a model railway building, I would rather have the conversions on the rule than have to do mental arithmetic every time I pick up the scriber or pencil.

I suspect some of your bikes are old enough to have Whitworth fittings too?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Whitworth threads were used pretty much exclusively where a stud or bolt ran into cast aluminium, as it would be very difficult to strip the threads and the coarse pitch would grab the surrounding metal. Bolts running into close grained cast iron such as cylinder barrels tended to be BSF. Anything that had a nut run onto it would have a CEI / BSCY Cycle thread, which was a fine thread for high torque. 

You often get a stud that is Whitworth one end and Cycle thread the other.

By the late 1960s, as America was our big export market, bikes went over to using Unified threads, UNC / UNF as car  British makers had done since the 1940s.

You get BA sizes in all of the electrical equipment and BSB (British Standard Brass) / Gas thread in carburetors.

I forgot the most basic, 14mm (and earlier) 18 or 20mm Spark Plug Thread / SPT.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Depends of the height from which you drop it. I assume the terminal velocity for a Cambridge A60 would be in reasonable excess of that for a falling human body (125mph or so, IIRC).

Providing you drop it from a great height onto someone "green" doing 125mph in a Tesla, or some footballer in a gold foil wrapped Ferrari.

Then it would not only be hilarious, it would be almost worth killing a Cambridge.

There's never going to be any more of those!

• Like 2

IMG_20211106_204947.jpg

Both of the FPLs are now in. Various theories have been put forward as to what the F in FPL stands for.

None of which were "Facing". :wacko:

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Lousy internet
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1