Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that prewar, the identification tags on the levers would have been brass though. Can anyone confirm that?

Looking at photos of Blue Anchor and Highley boxes as preserved, brass with black lettering.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20211102_005356.jpg.c8bd29def956b9714613357a401946c4.jpg

I think that prewar, the identification tags on the levers would have been brass though. Can anyone confirm that?

"For many years the labels were of brass but from about 1938 ivorine, a hard, white-faced synthetic material, was used instead."

GWR Signalling Practice - Great Western Study Group

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Informative/Useful 5

The signalbox, is now in its final position on the layout opposite the loop point and with enough room to fit the lead off for the rodding (Thanks to @chuffinghell)

I'm pleased that even though I am using a building to disguise the fiddle yard entrance, the area still looks open.

The car sitting at the not built yet crossing is a Vauxhall Ten. This particular model was the last vehicle I talked about with Mick Bonwick, as he had a weathered one. Add to this the fact that Aston is set in 1938/9, it will become the layout Land Rover.

IMG_20211102_222735.jpg.d9a7e8ba05c6f5498624ce5f2fdb896b.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I have had a dig in the box of doom because I thought that I had a Midland Railway ten ton van.

I found it and two more eight tonners.

This is what happens when you don't keep a list of what you have in your kit stash....:scratchhead:

I have been mocked over this of course.

IMG_20211102_222842.jpg.5a08b7c861e6f5f5c609ca14079d30d5.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Useless internet
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have had a dig in the box of doom because I thought that I had a Midland Railway ten ton van.

I found it and two more eight tonners.

This is what happens when you don't keep a list of what you have in your kit stash....:scratchhead:

I have been mocked over this of course.

Oh how I know that feeling of not keeping a list, but duplicates are always good...yes? :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Andy WD said:

Oh how I know that feeling of not keeping a list, but duplicates are always good...yes? :D

I am not sure a duplicate Great Bear would be a lot of use other than to sell.

Don

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, Andy WD said:

@Compound2632pointed out that I will need more LMS wagons, as it turns out, I have a lot more of these than I thought; I even have a couple of S**thern Railway vehicles...

I forgot to answer his question about what LMS grey I am using. The answer is both Precision and Railmatch. No problems with either, provided that I remember that they don't behave like the old Humbrol paints and I lay on a coat of grey car primer first.

I don't think that I can keep up with @JustinDean's rate of wagon production, but I will be using these as an antidote to point rodding this week.

Edited by MrWolf
Brake fade on salad spinner
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Donw said:

I am not sure a duplicate Great Bear would be a lot of use other than to sell.

Don

A duplicate tender might be useful, ISTR a picture of the County 4-4-0 County of Leicester running around with the eight wheel tender from The Great Bear. 

That would make an interesting model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This is what happens when you don't keep a list of what you have in your kit stash

Isn't it fun finding things you didn't know you had?

Less so not finding things that you thought you did have.

• Agree 8

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Isn't it fun finding things you didn't know you had?

Less so not finding things that you thought you did have.

Had that this morning. I thought that I had a little tube of thread locking compound. I have either used it, lost it or lent it somebody.

A trip to the local motor trade chain stores drew a blank, they no longer stock it. A look round revealed that like another more famous motor spares chain, it too has become little more than a chav's toyshop.

Twenty miles round trip in the morning then! :banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 8

Cack, the Lord God of Chaos, has struck again.

Having emptied the box containing the ten ton van kit (Bought off eBay as complete and unstarted of course.) is not only missing the wheels and bearings, but slightly more importantly, the roof.

In the box of spares, I have some rooves, but GWR rooves have a ptighter radius.

But I did find a roof from a broken Airfix BR brake van.

If that fails, it's plastikard and boiling water time.

Suddenly, point rodding is looking very attractive....  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Friendly/supportive 11

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Having emptied the box containing the ten ton van kit (Bought off eBay as complete and unstarted of course.) is not only missing the wheels and bearings, but slightly more importantly, the roof.

In the box of spares, I have some rooves, but GWR rooves have a ptighter radius.

Suddenly, point rodding is looking very attractive....  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Or top feed removal on a Pannier.....perhaps!!

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Had that this morning. I thought that I had a little tube of thread locking compound. I have either used it, lost it or lent it somebody.

A trip to the local motor trade chain stores drew a blank, they no longer stock it. A look round revealed that like another more famous motor spares chain, it too has become little more than a chav's toyshop.

Twenty miles round trip in the morning then! :banghead:

It's incredible how many once everyday items are now impossible to buy over the counter.

About five years ago I had to trawl round several DIY stores to track down a pack of 5 amp fuse wire when a lighting circuit blew. "We don't stock it anymore."

Fortunately, we have had a circuit breaker panel installed, with a house extension, since.

Don't these people realise, though, that fuse wire isn't just used for electrical reasons?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The 51L kit I built recently had an interesting way to form a roof:

Piece of Slaters timber plastikard cut to size

Lightly score the grooves so the plastic curves

Glue to wagon roof

Glue a piece of paper over the whole lot

Once dry trim back paper

Or just stick some Plastikard in warm water. 

I can recommend the 51L wheels from Wizard Models if you’re needing more. 

Jay

• Informative/Useful 4

11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

For the roof, you could cut a suitability sized section from a 2 litre Pepsi bottle ( other nasty tasting colas are available too).

I wonder how long some of these useful materials will remain available to us should the big jamboree in Glasgow actually achieve anything?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Some broken old junk has arrived in the post that isn't actually part of a motorcycle.

IMG_20211103_140923.jpg.d2e1d39215755e0e4977b55e2075dac9.jpg

It's really in quite horrible condition, but it runs really well. It will be getting a service as I only want this bit.

IMG_20211103_145140.jpg.463aee97f8dd7accde5c70e73e399f31.jpg

It cost £9 from eBay. I've got plenty of work to do on the layout, so won't be messing around with it yet. 

But as @KNP has officially called me out on altering a pannier or two to early condition, does anyone know where I can find an article on backdating panniers to 1930s condition?

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Some broken old junk has arrived in the post that isn't actually part of a motorcycle.

IMG_20211103_140923.jpg.acf9521935974c9d60329b8cb30c1773.jpg

It's really in quite horrible condition, but it runs really well. It will be getting a service as I only want this bit.

IMG_20211103_145140.jpg.2e604190ec4a2cf02cd4d825231f615b.jpg

It cost £9 from eBay. I've got plenty of work to do on the layout, so won't be messing around with it yet. 

But as @KNP has officially called me out on altering a pannier or two to early condition, does anyone know where I can find an article on backdating panniers to 1930s condition?

I use the Pannier Papers a series of photo books which has some very good pictures and descriptions in them.

Not sure how available they are now though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1