Hold & Fold - recommended size?

97xx

I've tended to use parallel pliers and other such devices to do etch folding, or steel rule plus razor blade etc.

It's worked, but, in most cases it feels like a bit of a bodge. I'd like to treat myself to a Hold & Fold tool - I say 'treat' as it will be something to make life easier rather than a necessity, and it's expensive.

Having read many posts, what I'm seeing is a hearty recommendation to have one. But which size?

I'm 00, and locos and wagons will make up most of what I do, but then again I do have an autotrailer on the shelf calling out "make me".

Thoughts welcome!

I have a small H&F and medium size H&F. I think they are a good idea but do have a few limitations so I purchased and used the Midland Railway Centre folding bars as well. (midrailcentre.com)/sheet-metal-mini-folders-bending-bars )

Gordon A

If you have an auto-trailer to build, and can afford it then go big! I have the 14" one from Eileen's and wouldn't be without it. (7mm modeller) I also bought some cheaper 4 and 8 inch versions just for smaller work but rarely use them!

Regards, Deano

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 97xx said:

Great, thanks. Will bite the bullet and get the 14" one.

Before taking the plunge it's worth taking a look at ebay - search for "etched brass bending (or folding)" etc.  There's a fair few out there as the plastic modellers use them too.  You may save a lot.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Before taking the plunge it's worth taking a look at ebay - search for "etched brass bending (or folding)" etc.  There's a fair few out there as the plastic modellers use them too.  You may save a lot.

I searched as you suggested and  also found this very interesting tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photo-Etch-Bending-Rolling-Deluxe-Brass-Assist/193667227511?pageci=249e0e0f-2f07-435f-a443-07aa75aade87

“Photo Etch Bending & Rolling Deluxe Brass Assist

“True” cylinders tie downs hinges clamps brackets & grab handles all with one tool.

Features

Made in the USA

Excellent for shaping radius U-Shape or cylinder parts.

Includes one each Aluminum rods 3/4″ 1/2″ & 1/4″

Includes one each Stainless Steel rods 3/16″ & 1/8″

4″x4″ CNC Machined Rolling Base

High grade aluminum hard anodized in a clear finish.

Machined channels are perfect for your rolling needs!

Soft rolling deck enables ‘true’ cylinders to be rolled

Beams to form tie downs hinges tool clamps & brackets

Bending Comb – Matched Grab Handles every time!

Designed for use with soft copper or brass wire. Semi-hard wire should first be annealed “heat to dull red and allow to air cool”.

Not for use with hard wire.”

Sorry I could not copy an image

Any thoughts on this tool?

2 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

I searched as you suggested and  also found this very interesting tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photo-Etch-Bending-Rolling-Deluxe-Brass-Assist/193667227511?pageci=249e0e0f-2f07-435f-a443-07aa75aade87

“Photo Etch Bending & Rolling Deluxe Brass Assist

“True” cylinders tie downs hinges clamps brackets & grab handles all with one tool.

Features

Made in the USA

Excellent for shaping radius U-Shape or cylinder parts.

Includes one each Aluminum rods 3/4″ 1/2″ & 1/4″

Includes one each Stainless Steel rods 3/16″ & 1/8″

4″x4″ CNC Machined Rolling Base

High grade aluminum hard anodized in a clear finish.

Machined channels are perfect for your rolling needs!

Soft rolling deck enables ‘true’ cylinders to be rolled

Beams to form tie downs hinges tool clamps & brackets

Bending Comb – Matched Grab Handles every time!

Designed for use with soft copper or brass wire. Semi-hard wire should first be annealed “heat to dull red and allow to air cool”.

Not for use with hard wire.”

Sorry I could not copy an image

Any thoughts on this tool?

At 4" x 4" I think too small. Also I cannot see how you would clamp and bend straight lengths of sheet material?

Regards, Deano.

Deano, I use the Midland Railway Centre folding and bending bars formerly sold by Metalsmith.

The hold and fold are 12" and perfect for folding along the etched fold lines. I also use the same tool for making gentle bends.

Their bending bars are also excellent. But not long enough for coach building.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jazz said:

Deano, I use the Midland Railway Centre folding and bending bars formerly sold by Metalsmith.

The hold and fold are 12" and perfect for folding along the etched fold lines. I also use the same tool for making gentle bends.

Their bending bars are also excellent. But not long enough for coach building.

Hi Ken

I have the Midland large drill table with round bars; very useful. I also have Eileen's 14" hold and fold; wouldn't be without it. Anything longer, which is unlikely for me, two lengths of aluminium angle clamped together.

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747