Dapol (Kitmaster/Airfix) Meat Van

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5050 said:

That's the first version Tim, 'a little bit more' actually seems to have quite a bit more!

Yes, indeed. The on-line elements of the first book might be of interest to someone who hasn't got access to a physical copy.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 17:41, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, I have discovered that, however John has his informants and circa 1960 SR in the south is a good excuse to use them, either for meat or other perishables, maybe fruit or veg.

For Seaton Junction I am lucky to have plenty of 'evidence' of a mix of Containers and Vans and there was at least one dedicated train of meat from Bideford I think it was that went to London on weekdays. Empties

was an Express fully fitted goods of 40+ vans, and Nine Elms Merchant Navy worked, overnight on the down.

John will have to be selective as Ladycross is a Club Exhibition Layout. I can do what I like, within reason :dancer:Phil

Sorry guys not been here for a few days. Thanks for taking my place Phil !  Ladycross is set in the New Forest (ie the Bournemouth Main Line) in 1962.  We have an excuse for various farming and agricultural stock though to be fair there wasn't much freight on a Saturday in August.  I'd like to have them in a pick up freight or similar but don't want it to look silly.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Middlesea John said:

Sorry guys not been here for a few days. Thanks for taking my place Phil !  Ladycross is set in the New Forest (ie the Bournemouth Main Line) in 1962.  We have an excuse for various farming and agricultural stock though to be fair there wasn't much freight on a Saturday in August.  I'd like to have them in a pick up freight or similar but don't want it to look silly.  

Empties on return, or just laid over in a siding waiting for Monday? 1962 was a wee bit late for these in raw meat service from what I have read ref the WOEML west of Salisbury so your area may have been the same. However you do have the 'vague' Southampton Docks option for stuff going west/north or stuff coming from the west if there were and Abbatoirs down that way?

As others have said though, they did get used for other stuff and you could do some modifications for fun (Ale Van?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Dubloseven said:

The old Airfix kits have always been a favourite of mine. With a little care and modification they can still look good on a layout today.

Kind Regards,  Cliff.

1751108899_MeatVans1.jpg.a5cdab5d7ab27cc44881bb2cfa1e539e.jpg699897643_MeatVans2.jpg.242f45f5d0bed04220177d6a5c2eeb80.jpg

Excellent trio Cliff. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2