Hornby 2021 - Revised tooling A1 and A3

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Harvester Looks amazing to me. I'd love to have one.

The new P2 has reduced me to eating 2min noodles and baked beans from a can for a while! So Harvester will have to wait.

Just going a little off topic. The 'Dublo' range  appears to have a couple of versions of the early A1 Scotsman. Is it just me, or do none of them feature the early tall cab?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Knight of the Thistle is also very nice and still at a very reduced price at The Model Centre.  126 pounds I think less vat for you. 

Versus Harvester it has earlier features, lower cab cut outs and short travel valve covers, and no super heater covers as it is an A1, but overall it looks very similar. From a model spec. point of view it does not have a flickering firebox.(Oops. Sorry was mistaken it does. Thank you Legend). However it still enjoys the improved boiler moulding with no visible top seem, and the simpler earlier tender connection which I prefer as it is easier to modify to close the gap. 
It also runs extremely nicely. 

Sorry to suggest beans and noodles for a while longer. 
Tom

Edited by Dominion
Correction

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Knight of the Thistle is also very nice and still at a very reduced price at The Model Centre.  126 pounds I think less vat for you. 

Versus Harvester it has earlier features, lower cab cut outs and short travel valve covers. From a model spec. point of view it does not have a flickering firebox. However it still enjoys the improved boiler moulding with no visible top seem, and the simpler earlier tender connection which I prefer as it is easier to modify to close the gap. 

Tom

My Kight of the Thistle is full spec diecast running plate and firebox glow . I always thought that was a gimmick but it does look very nice reflecting off the tender back while running round . Really not bad for £126 from TMC.    Fancy the P2 with Streamlined nose but not at that price  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Oops, thanks for correction, quite right it does. In a way the firebox glow is better as it is only on when running. In Harvester it is on even when stationary if the DCC power is on. 

Ahh I'm DC, but still looks quite effective .  Think this is the first time I've had a firebox glow since the original Flying Scotsman!

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2023 at 20:09, Dominion said:

Versus Harvester it has earlier features, lower cab cut outs and short travel valve covers, and no super heater covers as it is an A1, but overall it looks very similar. From a model spec. point of view it does not have a flickering firebox.(Oops. Sorry was mistaken it does. Thank you Legend). However it still enjoys the improved boiler moulding with no visible top seem, and the simpler earlier tender connection which I prefer as it is easier to modify to close the gap. 
It also runs extremely nicely. 

Tom

A while back, I was able to secure a 2nd hand Knight of the Thistle and must report no noodles were needed back then.

But just like the new P2, once I got it home it was duly confiscated by the minister of finance and planning for being too pretty and lives in the display stand and is a faff to get out.

Slightly off topic.

Has anybody attempted to fix any of the previous generation A1/3 with the 'ski jump' front ends?

I got a hold of a copy of the 2018ish (i think) Woolwinder and would like to have a go at fixing it.

Cheers,

Ben

3 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

A while back, I was able to secure a 2nd hand Knight of the Thistle and must report no noodles were needed back then.

But just like the new P2, once I got it home it was duly confiscated by the minister of finance and planning for being too pretty and lives in the display stand and is a faff to get out.

Slightly off topic.

Has anybody attempted to fix any of the previous generation A1/3 with the 'ski jump' front ends?

I got a hold of a copy of the 2018ish (i think) Woolwinder and would like to have a go at fixing it.

Cheers,

Ben

Basically I had to break the front and wedge to the correct position, repair etc.

I did do some photos here all lost in the RM Web meltdown. The photos are long gone as i have a new laptop since.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2023 at 00:19, micklner said:

Basically I had to break the front and wedge to the correct position, repair etc.

I did do some photos here all lost in the RM Web meltdown. The photos are long gone as i have a new laptop since.

It is a pitty about the RMweb meltdown. 

Nice work over there though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, micklner said:

I still have Book Law, I can take some photos of her current condition if needed?

A picture of your book law might help.

I have looked at how these models are assembled, and I am a little confused by it to be honest. It is almost like they might have got the cad wrong. Even if I were to separate the forward part of the engine, I dont think I can do anything about it without cutting it horizontal and adding a shim. It is almost as if there isn't enough height between the fwd boiler and the running plate.

My early A1 Scotsman had a little ski jump and a careful massage helped a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

A picture of your book law might help.

I have looked at how these models are assembled, and I am a little confused by it to be honest. It is almost like they might have got the cad wrong. Even if I were to separate the forward part of the engine, I dont think I can do anything about it without cutting it horizontal and adding a shim. It is almost as if there isn't enough height between the fwd boiler and the running plate.

My early A1 Scotsman had a little ski jump and a careful massage helped a lot.

A balls up is a polite description . I will do a photo later.

• Like 3

Book Law repair. Not easy to photograph.

In the first photo at the bottom of the Smokebox Saddle as it meets the Footplate you can see a glue join (white/clear marks) .

Second photo  in front of the Screw mounting as it goes down towards the Chimney are and behind the Smokebox area I glued a section of flat Plasticard to the body to strenthen the area. Nothing else obvious has been done to cure the issue, that I can remember.

I have now also painted and cleaned up the glue joint, and the front steps area which were missed at the time !!.

IMG_6386.jpeg.704d861f5be35c2ed7fc5ff063a4af54.jpeg

IMG_6388.jpeg.c988e46e9a450266c027656143dfb1a3.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My latest A1/1s I have done Two , (one in Original Dark Blue and one Apple Green) were both built using a Hornby A3 base and etched/resin parts from Graeme King. I have no idea if any of his Pacific kit parts are still available.

I also built a PDK version before those were built. The PDK was nowhere as good and not recomended , and was sold off at the same time as the building the two Hornby versions.

I suggest a PM to Atlantic3279.

Mick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just come to fit a decoder into to the latest LNER A1, 4478 Hermit  ( R30270 ).

This one is fitted with a  21 pin socket.

It runs nicely, I have run it in for a little over an hour.

There are no assembly or decoration defects I have found yet.

It is to GN loading gauge, so taller chimney, higher cab roof, and square front buffer beam, which I had not noticed when I preordered it.

It has other early features like short travel valve covers and the lower cab cutouts and flat seats. The seats are painted in a leather like light brown colour which is something I had not noticed on earlier releases.

The feature combination is like the much earlier Great Northern release but with the numbers on the cab side. 

The model has the improved boiler molding with no visible top seem, metal running plate and flickering firebox.

Apart from it being in earlier condition than I had anticipated, I am very pleased with it.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/12/2023 at 20:58, Dominion said:

I have just come to fit a decoder into to the latest LNER A1, 4478 Hermit  ( R30270 ).

This one is fitted with a  21 pin socket.

It runs nicely, I have run it in for a little over an hour.

There are no assembly or decoration defects I have found yet.

It is to GN loading gauge, so taller chimney, higher cab roof, and square front buffer beam, which I had not noticed when I preordered it.

It has other early features like short travel valve covers and the lower cab cutouts and flat seats. The seats are painted in a leather like light brown colour which is something I had not noticed on earlier releases.

The feature combination is like the much earlier Great Northern release but with the numbers on the cab side. 

The model has the improved boiler molding with no visible top seem, metal running plate and flickering firebox.

Apart from it being in earlier condition than I had anticipated, I am very pleased with it.

You had me going, there! How did I miss a GNR Hornby Pacific? 🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/12/2023 at 21:50, Captain_Mumbles said:

Just that Hermit is a GNR Pacific means Baked beans and 2min noodles are mack on the menu.

Modelbahn Union has it for €134/£114 at the moment. Without sauerkraut I'm afraid. 

Gannet is also available for €197/£169. 

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2024 at 14:14, Johan DC said:

Modelbahn Union has it for €134/£114 at the moment. Without sauerkraut I'm afraid. 

Gannet is also available for €197/£169. 

Warning for those who like to 'tenderswap'. While it's not a problem between the new P2's, or between the new(er) A1/A3's, you can't between a A1 and a P2, because the wiring is not the same. It shorts. So no GNR tender on Thane of Fife. And running in Hermit will have to wait too. 

6 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Warning for those who like to 'tenderswap'. While it's not a problem between the new P2's, or between the new(er) A1/A3's, you can't between a A1 and a P2, because the wiring is not the same. It shorts. So no GNR tender on Thane of Fife. And running in Hermit will have to wait too. 

Thane of fife never ran with a GNR tender

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Generally the issue is with that 4 way connector, on certain of their models they rotate the connector 180 degrees on the printed circuit board, so all the connections are reversed. Rather than modify the wiring to match they just wire it the same. Even on models within the same range they get it wrong. Duchess locos seem to be the worst. Hornby don't seem to understand the concept of standard wiring.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thane of fife never ran with a GNR tender

Thanks David, I should've said Rule #1, I just wanted it to do a couple of rounds with a Pullman rake, while Hermit was running in with Thane's tender.

Did any of the P2's ever use a GNR tender?

Just now, Johan DC said:

Thanks David, I should've said Rule #1, I just wanted it to do a couple of rounds with a Pullman rake, while Hermit was running in with Thane's tender.

Did any of the P2's ever use a GNR tender?

Ah I understand.  

No P2 ran with a GNR tender. And although visually similar the P2 high sided tender is slightly lower than the A3 high sided tender. It's a mine field

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1