Looking Brighter at Llangollen

steve W

2 hours ago, AMJ said:

The possible over the top prices on decent Mk I stock by others will reflect the time and cost involved if they were purchasing a rough one.  I bet some of these have eased workload on C&W depts.

Seems to be quiet or no comments about Austin 1 and the other locos that were potentially for sale.

Austin 1 has been in steam twice over the last week (I posted a video on the railway's unofficial Facebook group for those interested) and will go on hire to the S&D at Midsomer Norton for the summer.

7754 was always unlikely to be sold due to the huge amount of volunteer time and money that has gone into its overhaul. Hopefully this overhaul will be completed over the next 12 months and will then be an important engine for the line.

Jennifer's future will become clearer over the next month, but should be steam tested at Llangollen in a few weeks time.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

On 18/05/2021 at 17:23, RJS1977 said:

If the LR didn't bid, or a scrappy pushed the bidding to a point where the LR had to withdraw, then I would have no objection

Somewhat ironic that the scrappy has actually helped them out with the crane.

I suppose we tend to do what we are interested in so not unrealistic to think that some scrap merchants dealing in cars or trains probably like the stuff and will not immediately trash something that does still have intrinsic value.

And they have the resources to take a punt on something that could be an asset as potential longer term buy-back, and worst case can handle it if it doesn't work out.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

This could be a worrying trend with the growth in "glamping".  There are countless redundant Mk2s and 3s around, but if Mk1s start departing preservation.  Funnily enough about a decade ago a friend and I looked seriously into converting Mk2s into camping coaches as a business.  Only the need to keep a steady income at the time put us off really.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

Interesting that people have said that other railways shouldn't have bid on the coaches so as to give the LR trust a better chance to get the coaches for themselves but, so far only two coaches have been sold to other railways and three to the LR trust or their supporters, but three have been reported been sold for glamping coaches and another for an office. It looks like the preservation movement have lost four coaches in good condition because of potential non bid by other railways. The other two coaches nothing has come out who has acquired them yet.  

Most glamping locations tend to be remote and "away from it all". So good luck getting a 60' MK1 down those quiet country lanes.

I guess the interiors will get ripped out as no-one willingly sleeps on MK1 seats. If so I hope these are offered back to those restoring other mk1s.

Will they retain the bogies, as they are sought after too. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

This could be a worrying trend with the growth in "glamping".  There are countless redundant Mk2s and 3s around, but if Mk1s start departing preservation.  Funnily enough about a decade ago a friend and I looked seriously into converting Mk2s into camping coaches as a business.  Only the need to keep a steady income at the time put us off really.

Because of the monocoque construction on all mk2s/3s if you don't keep a careful eye on corrosion, if it gets too far they can become very very difficult to repair, which is one of the reasons they haven't really caught on in preservation....but also there is the fact that a mk2 is pretty much sealed (they aint called coffins for nothing) and without adequate ventilation (ie operation of the air-con system) they tend to suffer from damp and mould...that and also the issue that they are air only which pretty rules them out from 95% of the preserved steam fleet, there have been various solutions proposed to fit a mk2/d/e/f with vac brakes, but its very very difficult on the crowded under frame and on a mk3 its virtually impossible... the damp issue is why you rarely see a mk2/3 come out of store if they haven't been hooked up to an ETH supply atleast a couple of times a week, the interior is too far gone to warrant a return to service...and that before you start thinking about Nasty stuff that might be living in the aircon system (legionaries disease).

I doubt any mk1s will depart from pres they are to easy to keep running with a lower skilled workforce. What will start killing them off though is a lack of bogies....when some of the older ones tyres get too low for further use... you are looking at atleast 20k to re-tyre a mk1, and although a mk1 can be fitted with B4 bogies of which there are quite a few knocking around, its not a straight swap im pretty certain the under frame needs modification for it to sit correctly.

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Many Mk I coaches were insulated with Asbestos so it might be interesting if anyone was looking at Glamping conversions if they needed to disturb panels that may have the insulation behind.  Though I suspect that most of this type of insulation will have already been dealt with

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2021 at 10:01, pheaton said:

before you start thinking about Nasty stuff that might be living in the aircon system (legionaries disease).

Extract from HSE guidance publication:

"The bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria are common in natural water sources such as rivers, lakes and reservoirs, but usually in low numbers. They may also be found in purpose-built water systems such as cooling towers, evaporative condensers, hot and cold water systems and spa pools."

I'm pretty sure that coaching stock aircon does not include water, so no risk from legionnaires disease from trains.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 96701 said:

Extract from HSE guidance publication:

"The bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria are common in natural water sources such as rivers, lakes and reservoirs, but usually in low numbers. They may also be found in purpose-built water systems such as cooling towers, evaporative condensers, hot and cold water systems and spa pools."

I'm pretty sure that coaching stock aircon does not include water, so no risk from legionnaires disease from trains.

The key component to an air conditioning system is...............an evaporative condenser  doesent matter that there is no water its the fact that condensation firms over the condenser and sits in the system, as long as the air con is running it prevents buildup....its the long term being out of use that allows the bacteria to grow.

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gismorail said:

Great news indeed was it just a test run only to Berwyn ?

It's being reopened in parts.

This week it's shuttles to Berwyn by DMU leaving on the hour. The rest should follow over the next few weeks. Steam should be running in August.

As above, Carrog tea rooms are open at certain times as is the 5532 shop. No idea whether the Standard Tank shop is open.

Best place for info is the Unofficial website.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61796596150/