Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Don't forget that lead oxidises white so older flashing will look surprisingly light coloured.

I didn't know that Al, thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just trying to find an example, this is my Dad's house:

ladmanlow1407.jpg.bbcbaa40ff8f42cd12eb2dc9ad675afd.jpg

This was when they were replacing the valley flashing. Note the colour of the old flashing on the left-hand bay window: darkish grey underneath but with white oxide staining over the top.

And the same with the flashing on the chimney, that's old as well.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, theres nothing like a relaxing evening.  And that was nothing like ...

Just had lots of fun putting up the backscenes.  If I'd planned things a bit better I wouldn't have done the first join in the most visible area of the layout - doh.  Although I'm hoping that a wee drop of glue dabbed behind the seam should help me to mask it.  But I think I'll leave that until tomorrow, when I've got some more vim and the light is better.  (I also need to put some better lighting in the railway spare room).

IMG20210526221433.jpg.850fea49d39a629da412c7a0bcb5c8c2.jpg

IMG20210526221454.jpg.9a20a1d68d7c29e47c3cf51fd8f42de1.jpg

Now I think I've earned a drink!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Most of the backboards are 2mm ply, but I used cork tiles to curve around the corners, then some double sided tape to fix the backscenes on.  A bit tricky getting everything lined up, I'd recommend an extra pair of hands!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks, that gives me an idea. I usually over think and over engineer little jobs like this, so it's good to hear a simple solution.

I can rope in an extra pair of hands, especially if it gets her closer to helping with the messy bits of building the scenery!

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, that gives me an idea. I usually over think and over engineer little jobs like this, so it's good to hear a simple solution.

I can rope in an extra pair of hands, especially if it gets her closer to helping with the messy bits of building the scenery!

I couldn't recommend the second pair of hands highly enough.  I'm annoyed at myself for not waiting until the other half was here to help , and so I have some visible seams and wrinkles* (but I have the patience of a toddler...)  But I'm still pleased that I've done them, I can visualise how I want the whole scene to look much better now.

*  Much like the backscenes ...

3 hours ago, Gedward said:

What a difference a day makes. Really good choice of landscape should fit perfectly with your plans.

Thanks George.  I'm intrigued to know where ID sourced the photos from - the scenery looks very like western Herefordshire, so is perfect for the location I have in mind.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Much as I love the concept, I'm still not sure that I can make the "disappearing branch line" (TM) work.  I think I'd have the make the groundwork too high if I wanted to hide the 14xx and autocoach properly.  Still undecided to be honest.  And if I don't put it in, what do I do with all that space in the back corner?

IMG20210527085700.jpg.f70f2e703224c5f62c61d758d7130b5e.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

And if I don't put it in, what do I do with all that space in the back corner?

Having been here a zillion times. My best advice is to sleep on it. Or even better just move on to something else, you'll be surprised how a solution will come to you. Just not right now.

Despite all the planning and mock ups, I'm still making tweaks on the fly.

• Agree 1

I think losing the branch line is the right thing to do. I can't think of any prototype where a branch has only a single connection to the rest of the network via a kickback from a passenger bay platform at a terminal station.

I know I'm revisiting old ground here, but it looks like the ideal location for the shed and turntable. Alternatively some sort of rail connected industry - a dairy would be the usual cliche! You could even do both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Gedward said:

My best advice is to sleep on it.

It looks a little uncomfortable for that...

I like Clachnaharry's idea, a dairy or other rail-served industry, with a couple of short sidings.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Can you drop the line (quite severely !) so it would curve under the main line ?  It might help if the main could be raised too.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think I could make it fit to be honest.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

It looks a little uncomfortable for that...

I like Clachnaharry's idea, a dairy or other rail-served industry, with a couple of short sidings.

Al.

I've slept in worse places, believe me!

I like the dairy idea too, cliche or not.  I think there would only be room for one short siding though.  Previously I'd considered a quarry, as there was one near to Tintern station, but I don't think I would be able to reproduce the scale of something like that in the space available.

Or I might just give that whole corner over to scenery ...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gedward said:

My best advice is to sleep on it....

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

It looks a little uncomfortable for that..

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've slept in worse places, believe me!

Gets my vote for funniest conversation of the week :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I have come to believe that in many cases, less is more. There's a good number of exponents of open space (or more truthfully, the illusion of it) on here and it can make the layout seem a lot bigger than it is.

You can always whack some trees into that corner!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I have come to believe that in many cases, less is more. There's a good number of exponents of open space (or more truthfully, the illusion of it) on here and it can make the layout seem a lot bigger than it is.

You can always whack some trees into that corner!

The dairy cliche is tempting, but I wonder if they would have bothered with the expense of building a bridge to get to it?  The idea of a big open space is becoming more and more appealing.  Then of course I would have to take out the brick built bridge, but that's ok.  I think I might add a little footbridge just before the backscene though, as a scenic break.

• Like 1