Oil fired engines

PatriotClass

Good evening!

I am just fitting my Claughtons with some illumination. One of them will be the oil fired version of the flagship 2222 as seen on a 1921 picture taken at Crewe. On my Lenz decoder there is an option for firebox flicker. Did the oil fired engines have a firebox door and did the fireman open it during operation? So maybe installing firebox lighting on such an engine is wrong, isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Yes they had a door but no they wouldn't open it, it would have caused a flashback.  However, oil fired engines tend to have a lot of flame flickering around what would have been the ashpan, googling for some USA locos may show you this.  So a flicker yes, but maybe aimed down ward rather than towards the firebox door.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My understanding of British engines converted to oil firing, which I'm afraid I can't recall where it comes from so may be completely wrong, is that on shed before the engine's turn of duty a bed of coal was spread over the grate, which would prevent excessive cold air intake. Presumably the dampers were closed most of the time too. Correct my misapprehensions please! 

EDIT, No, I think I'm wrong. See below.

Edited by Compound2632

I haven't heard of that one, which isn't to say it isn't correct.

Meant to add to my above post that there was a small peep hole in the doors to allow the fireman to see the flame pattern and adjust as necessary. It was normally covered by a pendant flap.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that Bulleid’s 4-6-2’s were designed to be easily converted to oil burners as he felt they would perform better with oil rather than coal.