Online ordering now open!

rapidoandy

Afternoon all!

I am very pleased to say that at the end of last week we finally got a UK bank account!

The result, after several days of hard work is we are now taking orders via our website. At present this is UK only (were working on the rest of the world as we speak - although I'm sure our retailers will be able to help anyone in far flung countries that would like to place an order now).

We are also taking a deposit. The idea is to help our cashflow and bring some of the (secret) projects that are already well on their way to fruition forward in our plans. There are some very exciting things to come!

Anyway, why not head over to www.rapidotrains.co.uk and order now!

Many thanks,

Andy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK- I have a technical question for Rapido (UK)- I live in Canada, home of Rapido (Canada)- how do I order, preferably in Canadian $ and Canadian Shipping?  Or do I have to order in UKP with shipping from the UK ?  I'd like to pre-order one of the 28's, and when they come available Titfield Thunderbolt too.  

(my next Rapido order should be here by the 4th of May, they say...well, since it's a Canadian, that means anytime from 1-14th is on time if you believe VIA !)

James

• Like 1

Like James post above, I live in the US and would love to buy my Thunderbolt sets  through Rapido North America without having to do a trans-Atlantic transaction.

Afternoon all.

We are in the process of setting up something better for our North American fans - watch this space over the next few days. Although Rapido Inc is our sister company there are some complications around ordering each others products.

Regarding Australia - it is now live on our website and you can order direct from us.

Many thanks,

Andy

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning @rapidoandy.

Am I right in thinking it’s preferable for you guys if I order a model direct from you guys online rather than one of my preferred retailers?

I’m very tempted by a sound fitted Hunslet 16” and will order from you guys via the website assuming the extra £££ goes into allowing you to expand and invest in future model development. 

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Morning @rapidoandy.

Am I right in thinking it’s preferable for you guys if I order a model direct from you guys online rather than one of my preferred retailers?

I’m very tempted by a sound fitted Hunslet 16” and will order from you guys via the website assuming the extra £££ goes into allowing you to expand and invest in future model development. 

It's an awkward situation to be in for the likes of us isn't.  I firmly believe in supporting my 'local' retailer(s?) as well as newcomer 'manufacturers' who are doing ther best to give us good models.  My (and yours I think) most local Rapido retailer is Paul in Alton.   He already has my order for some Rapido wagons (and more to follow, especially if Andy does the right things) and will probably also get my 15XX order.   So at present I'm supporting the retailer, and importantly he also sells essentials such as track and paint etc, apart from various brands of locos and stock.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's an awkward situation to be in for the likes of us isn't.  I firmly believe in supporting my 'local' retailer(s?) as well as newcomer 'manufacturers' who are doing ther best to give us good models.  My (and yours I think) most local Rapido retailer is Paul in Alton.   He already has my order for some Rapido wagons (and more to follow, especially if Andy does the right things) and will probably also get my 15XX order.   So at present I'm supporting the retailer, and importantly he also sells essentials such as track and paint etc, apart from various brands of locos and stock.

Being based abroad I find it simpler to order from the manufacturers in this situation,,,,but,,,,and it's a big but, if Rapido don't sort out the postage rates I'll be cancelling, £20 for one wagon is a bit excessive IMHO. It might work out cheaper to go via a retailer.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, MrTea said:

Morning @rapidoandy.

At a guess, it isn't as simple as you like.

Yes, ordering direct will give Rapido more money for that single purchase - no retailer cut.

But, the stronger the retail network the more retailers will order "extra" models to keep on their shelves for those who decide they want a model after seeing it in person, or who didn't hear about the item prior to the order deadline Rapido uses.  So potentially more units sold than otherwise would happen.

So, again a guess, ordering from your favourite retailer will benefit Rapido more in the long run than any given direct order - particularly if your retailer isn't currently a Rapido dealer and you help encourage them to become one.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2022 at 11:54, Enterprisingwestern said:

Being based abroad I find it simpler to order from the manufacturers in this situation,,,,but,,,,and it's a big but, if Rapido don't sort out the postage rates I'll be cancelling, £20 for one wagon is a bit excessive IMHO. It might work out cheaper to go via a retailer.

Mike.

Clearly I agree with Mike. 

Can we have a EU based arm to Rapido UK @rapidoandy although I’ve ordered a GPV from Hattons, it’s still a bit of a lottery if it gets through / how long it takes / whether it gets here / what the import duty is… Customs arrangements following Brexit are no longer straightforward.

Thanks Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 2

No import duty on 'toys' which model trains are classed. You maybe thinking about VAT which is payable plus any charges for collecting the VAT (been there done that :( ).

Cheers,

Philip

PS: There is a thread elsewhere setting it all out, plus the code applicable to model trains.

In would seem that there is an opportunity for a EU based model train retailer to gain customers by becoming a dealer for the UK brands and taking care of the importing - much as you can find dealers both in the UK and the EU who handle the importing of US based model products.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Clearly I agree with Mike. 

Can we have a EU based arm to Rapido UK @rapidoandy although I’ve ordered a GPV from Hattons, it’s still a bit of a lottery if it gets through / how long it takes / whether it gets here / what the import duty is… Customs arrangements following Brexit are no longer straightforward.

Thanks Neal.

Luckily Hattons have some form of agreement (a TLA I can't remember!) which means UK vat is paid and there are no further charges in the receiving country, and with reasonable carriage charges they get as much of my business as possible.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Philou said:

No import duty on 'toys' which model trains are classed. You maybe thinking about VAT which is payable plus any charges for collecting the VAT (been there done that :( ).

Cheers,

Philip

PS: There is a thread elsewhere setting it all out, plus the code applicable to model trains.

Vat / Iva / customs duties, doesn’t matter it all gets charged….. but it adds to the delays of typically 6 to 8 weeks at the moment…. Then when it arrives, you get stung for a bill….

There is most definitely an import duty for “toys”, I’ve even been charged import duty for a warranty repair.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Vat / Iva / customs duties, doesn’t matter it all gets charged….. but it adds to the delays of typically 6 to 8 weeks at the moment…. Then when it arrives, you get stung for a bill….

There is most definitely an import duty for “toys”, I’ve even been charged import duty for a warranty repair.

Just to qualify Neals comment about "when it arrives", I have the added complication of "if it arrives", still awaiting kerosene castle from November, and last week an aliexpress item and an Amazon item have entered the twilight zone.

This, and the random charging as alluded to by Neal, are some of the joys of living in Spain.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Having read on another threads regarding Correos España I do sympathise with you both ( @Enterprisingwestern @Neal Ball)  - there is seemingly a black hole in the Iberian peninsula. The Dutch seem to be hot on collecting the VAT, whereas here is France it seems to be a hit'n'miss affair as to whether La Poste is bothered to collect or not, though Chronopost (Parcel Farce equivalent) do! So far, only had one charge from a half-dozen parcels and ALL delivered with three days from the UK.

Good luck in getting all your deliveries,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

@mdvle It's a good thought, but IIRC the issue being an importer within the EU you become responsible for ensuring that the imported item complies with the CE mark (and not just the finished product but EVERYTHING within it). I may be reading too much into it, but it's what struck me the most - VAT seemed a doddle in comparison!

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, mdvle said:

In would seem that there is an opportunity for a EU based model train retailer to gain customers by becoming a dealer for the UK brands and taking care of the importing - much as you can find dealers both in the UK and the EU who handle the importing of US based model products.

In the past Modellbahn Union had some sort of tie in with Dapol.  Just had a look at their website this morning and I see they currently advertise some Accurascale wagons.   Maybe they could be persuaded to take on other 00 brands?

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Philou said:

Having read on another threads regarding Correos España I do sympathise with you both ( @Enterprisingwestern @Neal Ball)  - there is seemingly a black hole in the Iberian peninsula. The Dutch seem to be hot on collecting the VAT, whereas here is France it seems to be a hit'n'miss affair as to whether La Poste is bothered to collect or not, though Chronopost (Parcel Farce equivalent) do! So far, only had one charge from a half-dozen parcels and ALL delivered with three days from the UK.

Good luck in getting all your deliveries,

Philip

Thanks Philip. the issue with Correos and the Spanish customs authority is that they simply don't have enough staff to deal with the level of parcels being received.

31 minutes ago, Philou said:

@mdvle It's a good thought, but IIRC the issue being an importer within the EU you become responsible for ensuring that the imported item complies with the CE mark (and not just the finished product but EVERYTHING within it). I may be reading too much into it, but it's what struck me the most - VAT seemed a doddle in comparison!

Cheers,

Philip

Interesting thank you.

5 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

In the past Modellbahn Union had some sort of tie in with Dapol.  Just had a look at their website this morning and I see they currently advertise some Accurascale wagons.   Maybe they could be persuaded to take on other 00 brands?

Interesting as Modelu have just struck up a deal with a model shop just outside Paris. Maybe if that gains enough support, they too might be encouraged to stock other items.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1