A Narrow Gauge Adventure - a first layout in H0e

Lesson 2: it would have been a good idea to check how much ballast I had in stock when ordering the track.  I was given 6 tubs of assorted scenic materials a while back and hadn’t realised the supply of ballast was the most depleted (front right):

81D77DCA-CB49-4CDC-8602-7AEE9CE3DB3B.jpeg.9b6b6bedc359507845530c28a3a690cb.jpeg

The tub labelled “scenery ballast” (back right) is actually a darker grey than it appears in the photo, and is a fluffy powder rather than fine stones.  If I leave the ballasting until later, it may never happen, so there may be (another) short delay now.

I think play sand is a bit claggy. You just want something that you can brush round the sleepers to get an even surface, then dropper your watered down pva glue (plus washing up liquid) round.

edit: here’s one using garden sand, I’ve taken it up and relaid since, but I tend to reballast with the same stuff. The track is Peco On16.5.

E32546C5-A547-4A47-91FD-7A21875E3F4D.jpeg.e1416fa41de9f096110b62b684c195ed.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Try sand? (Not the red builders stuff, more like gardening type silver/grey)

20 minutes ago, JZ said:

Play sand?

14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I think play sand is a bit claggy. You just want something that you can brush round the sleepers to get an even surface, then dropper your watered down pva glue (plus washing up liquid) round.

I wondered about sand as I do have a supply of good quality (clean) play sand - I’ve been using it as a weight when gluing down the cork sheeting!    Can I ask how you re-colour it though?

Edit: now I’ve seen the photo in the post above, it is a less yellow sand than play sand to start with.  Thanks.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

Pass on that, I wouldn’t attempt to colour it before laying it. Maybe do a wash in water based pva paint after, or tint with powdered pastel chalk, and if it’s old narrow gauge plenty of weeds, etc. over the top. Then you could consider some of Chris Nevards techniques.

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-effect-of-ash-ballast.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JZ said:

What's the sand like at your local beaches? If it's fine enough and the right colour, maybe get a bucketful.

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

No local beaches, I live mid continent, my wife’s a gardener, and we get a bagful of sand intended for mixing pot plants and stuff from the garden centre, and I pinch some of that.

In our case, peninsula living does come with plenty of beaches - the play sand was bought when we briefly lived inland.  It's not a good day for collecting sand today though (our turn for the thunder storms).

• Like 2