Replacement air horns for Bachmann EMUs

RFS

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of these - a 2-EPB and a 4-CEP - where at least one air horn has gone AWOL. Having to turn the units upside down to couple up has no doubt resulted in the breakages which sadly went unnoticed.

Has anyone sourced replacements (Bachmann don't - I've asked) and successfully fixed them? The only ones I can find are listed by Southern Pride Models, but I've no idea what these look like and whether they'd be suitable replacements. Unfortunately the only way to contact SPM is via a message through their web-site; I've tried a couple of times and never got an answer. 

Looking on Ebay I can see at least 3 4-CEPs for sale which are missing at least one horn, so it seems a common problem ....

Replica Railways/Railwayania will probably have some as they made kits for the MLVs and some other Southern EMUs I seem to recall. They sell packs of all the various components for the kits. I bought some of the ones for batteries and dynamos for my ex LC & DR 6 wheeled coaches, upgraded with electric lighting and to be painted in the brown SE & CR livery, as they look fairly generic.

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided the Dart Castings ones should be fine and have ordered some. At least I can see from the picture how they'll fit, and they're only £2 per set of 4. The tricky bit is going to be painting and weathering them to match the roof colour so as not to look out of place!  Will post pictures when I've done. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Markits modern air horns, short and long, are the second last item on this incredibly interesting page - I'm astonished to see five variations of Westinghouse pumps, detailed screw reversers, various safety valves and snifting valves, different types of water filler caps, and similarly loco whistles. Astonishing, and wonderful how detailed they are. (No connection to Roxey or Markits.)

The air horns are turned brass, short and long, and are £4.60 for 2 pairs.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/92/4mm-scale-accessories-by-markits/

John Storey

Edited by it's-er
Spelling Markits, not spellchecker's 'markets'!
  • Like 1