Buying from the EU

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps someone here can clarify for me.  I logged on to www.accurascale.com from Ireland. 

The price quoted for the two items I ordered were;

Class 92 crew €9.95

Class 92 chip €29.95

Total paid to Accurascale €45.85

I presume the difference is postage.

It is not clear from the web site whether the above prices include UK VAT, Irish VAT or no VAT.

In any event, I had to pay a further €16.83 to DHL bringing the total to €62.68.

If you're in Ireland they charge you Irish VAT, if in the UK they charge ours.  Sometimes when I log onto their site things are priced initially in Euros, but the page then jumps and recalculates the Stering amount they would charge me.   I assume it's working out whart rules to apply from my address.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Perhaps someone here can clarify for me.  I logged on to www.accurascale.com from Ireland. 

The price quoted for the two items I ordered were;

Class 92 crew €9.95

Class 92 chip €29.95

Total paid to Accurascale €45.85

I presume the difference is postage.

It is not clear from the web site whether the above prices include UK VAT, Irish VAT or no VAT.

In any event, I had to pay a further €16.83 to DHL bringing the total to €62.68.

accurascale.com only quotes inc VAT prices inside the UK (and shows inc. VAT appended to all prices quoted to be clear)

Outside the UK, you pay the ex VAT price, in Euro, Dollars, etc, then typically will pay local VAT at point of import. (the 16.83 you paid)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

accurascale.com only quotes inc VAT prices inside the UK (and shows inc. VAT appended to all prices quoted to be clear)

Outside the UK, you pay the ex VAT price, in Euro, Dollars, etc, then typically will pay local VAT at point of import. (the 16.83 you paid)

I'm in Portugal and when I go onto accurascale.com, I am automatically directed to accurascale.com/en-eu and I get a pop up window saying my location is set to Portugal and my pre-order was in euro without VAT. The pop-up also allows me to change country but I've no idea what happens (e.g. re VAT) if I was then to select UK. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

I'm in Portugal and when I go onto accurascale.com, I am automatically directed to accurascale.com/en-eu and I get a pop up window saying my location is set to Portugal and my pre-order was in euro without VAT. The pop-up also allows me to change country but I've no idea what happens (e.g. re VAT) if I was then to select UK. 

If you selected UK and a UK delivery address, VAT would be charged.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have no problem paying Irish VAT but unfortunately the charges the courier companies make for the privilege of processing your VAT payment, more than outweighs the value of the free postage. An Post is better in that regard but became so unreliable, with correctly labeled items being returned, that I stopped using them. Hattons are registered for Irish VAT and can send you stuff from the UK, with VAT paid, and it just arrives at the door. They service other EU countries in the same way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I have no problem paying Irish VAT but unfortunately the charges the courier companies make for the privilege of processing your VAT payment, more than outweighs the value of the free postage. An Post is better in that regard but became so unreliable, with correctly labeled items being returned, that I stopped using them. Hattons are registered for Irish VAT and can send you stuff from the UK, with VAT paid, and it just arrives at the door. They service other EU countries in the same way.

DHL Charge an admin fee of €3.50, which we cover with free post to the EU. Hope that helps±

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

I have a similar problem in Canada where the courier company charges $20 for the privilege and then tries to charge duty as well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

These posts are all very interesting but here is the post from the class 92 thread telling us about the chip and crew.

Hi everyone,

We are now also offering a specially progrprogrammedammed DCC decoder to offer DCC control of the locomotive and the operating pans without sound as well as two sets of crews (early BR era and late privatisation era) manufactured in the UK by Modelu!

The Lokpilot decoder is priced at £29.50 and the crews are £9.95 per pack. Both are due in stock in January 2023 and only available exclusively direct via Accurascale by ordering below:

Decoder: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/dcc-decoders-and-accessories/products/class-92-deltic-dcc-standard-chip

Crews: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/crews-and-people

Cheers!

Fran

£29.50 and  £9.95 including 20% UK VAT does not translate into €29.95  and €9.95 excluding VAT even allowing for the exchange rate.