Canal Sidings

I'm beginning to think about building my first layout, it will be a small micro layout, possibly as large as 1100mm by 300mm. I have limited space and would like to build a neat unit that can contain the fiddle yard etc when packed away. I would like the layout whilst small in footprint to have depth in terms of height hence the canal and towpath in the plan, and what is envisaged as a series of tall warehouse (4 plus stories) buildings around.

The track plan is essentially two long sidings with a runaround and an additional siding (not sure if this is required) to that the layout can also be used as a classic inglenook. I wondered what others thought of this track plan, whether it needs adjustment? Whether this is not prototypical either?

I am imagining using a class 26 & class 08 on the layout, with the 26 brining in goods, using the run around, and an 08 shunting around goods vans, probably a mainly box vans, I am imagining this layout is set somewhere between the 70s to early 90s. 

It's a fairly basic track plan drawing at the moment, i've discovered my 1/4 scale Hornby track pieces, the track will be peco not Hornby. I will when I have time update the plan with a better drawing,

Any help or thoughts on this would be very helpful.

layout sketch.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One observation - swap the half curve for a straight and then make the curve on the TowPath siding.  Couplings don't like curves for automatic action so you will lose half a wagon length there at least.

• Like 2

Looks promising to me - the canal should provide a good amount of scenery below track level, allowing for some good views. The inglenook with run-around loop looks like it should work well too.

The overall plan heavily reminds me of this layout, which isn't a bad thing:

One thing I liked about that layout is that the track over the bridge to offscene isn't parallel to the board, it's at an angle - maybe you could do something similar by swapping the first RH turnout with a Y point?

• Like 1

I think you're going to have a challenge on your hands getting all that into 1100mm. My own little layout (PECO Setrack) has a run-around loop like yours and the distance across the outer 2 points is 840mm. You then need to add at least 200mm to the right for the loco release plus a bit for scenics/buffers.  That's basically used up 1100mm. You can claw back some space by shortening the run-round loop. At the extreme you could get 170mm by having the points touching. But you're probably going to need about that length to the left of the loop for the canal and scenics.

An alternative might be to forget the run-round loop and have the 08 pull the stock away to release the 26?

• Like 1

Look at Peco's short streamline Ys to save a lot of length. Also consider the maximum loco length you'll run - you can fit a Peckett's wheel base on as little as 41mm (excluding buffers) for the end of a runaround - you might get away with 120mm ish for an 08 if you have the buffer as a wall-mounted beam after the track. Anyrail is worth downloading for a play (it's free) but be aware of things like clearance for passing wagons etc. I found it allowed to produce overly optimistic plans!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 23:53, beingamonkey said:

I'm beginning to think about building my first layout, it will be a small micro layout, possibly as large as 1100mm by 300mm. I have limited space and would like to build a neat unit that can contain the fiddle yard etc when packed away. I would like the layout whilst small in footprint to have depth in terms of height hence the canal and towpath in the plan, and what is envisaged as a series of tall warehouse (4 plus stories) buildings around.

The track plan is essentially two long sidings with a runaround and an additional siding (not sure if this is required) to that the layout can also be used as a classic inglenook. I wondered what others thought of this track plan, whether it needs adjustment? Whether this is not prototypical either?

I am imagining using a class 26 & class 08 on the layout, with the 26 brining in goods, using the run around, and an 08 shunting around goods vans, probably a mainly box vans, I am imagining this layout is set somewhere between the 70s to early 90s. 

It's a fairly basic track plan drawing at the moment, i've discovered my 1/4 scale Hornby track pieces, the track will be peco not Hornby. I will when I have time update the plan with a better drawing,

layout sketch.jpg

On 06/05/2021 at 19:15, PaulaDoesTrains said:

I think you're going to have a challenge on your hands getting all that into 1100mm. My own little layout (PECO Setrack) has a run-around loop like yours and the distance across the outer 2 points is 840mm. You then need to add at least 200mm to the right for the loco release plus a bit for scenics/buffers.  That's basically used up 1100mm. You can claw back some space by shortening the run-round loop. At the extreme you could get 170mm by having the points touching. But you're probably going to need about that length to the left of the loop for the canal and scenics.

An alternative might be to forget the run-round loop and have the 08 pull the stock away to release the 26?

1100 x 300 will give enough space for a loop but you may have to adjust things slightly. 

These are a couple of 'under construction' views of one of my layouts based on an IKEA shelf, 110cm x 26cm.

post-14122-0-67543900-1455473235_thumb.jpg.90c1a36efcf8e7a9debfb113371944f8.jpg

A fiddle yard was made  on a second IKEA 80 x 26cm shelf. 

post-14122-0-69734200-1457728578_thumb-1-01.jpeg.482af10cea7feb45847c41c2949d363f.jpeg

Points were PECO small radius left and right code 75. 

post-14122-0-62120700-1457549370_thumb-1-01.jpeg.2d0cf83276cf0dc40c56767fc8f11466.jpeg

Heres a view when finished. 

post-14122-0-84033400-1491610532_thumb-01-01.jpeg.d2d91ec77d48918eaa9dcc3dadece442.jpeg

So it can be done just need to make a few 'tweaks'.

Rob. 

• Like 14

• 3 months later...
On 02/05/2021 at 23:53, beingamonkey said:

layout sketch.jpg

Don’t know if you are still working on this or not, but if you flip the track (only) vertically, then what was the front siding then serves the large warehouse.

If your loop holds three wagons and the siding at the end of the loop also holds three, then if the warehouse siding holds five wagons you have your classic “Inglenook” puzzle, too.

Scenically, you could “limit” the width of the yard by the canal running along the front (an embankment, or maybe even retaining walls for a more urban setting?)

Hope you are still enjoying modelling.

Steve S