Exploring an Abandoned Train Graveyard: Collapsing Maintenance Depot

• RMweb Premium

What amazes me about these dim bulb “urban explorers” is how often they seem to have no idea what it is they are “exploring” (=breaking into), when a little bit of online searching & map-reading would tell them. Probably the prevelant internet conspiracy mindset.  

Perhaps it might also occur to them not to put other people’s property on the internet with an implicit invitation to vandalise.

Richard

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, RichardT said:

What amazes me about these dim bulb “urban explorers” is how often they seem to have no idea what it is they are “exploring” (=breaking into), when a little bit of online searching & map-reading would tell them. Probably the prevelant internet conspiracy mindset.  

Perhaps it might also occur to them not to put other people’s property on the internet with an implicit invitation to vandalise.

Richard

When you see that they have 85,000+ views and the channel is monetised, they are making enough  from these incursions to live, they have found a money source and I expect that to them that is the important aspect of what they do.

Edited by jollysmart
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Richard

They probably know it wasn't abandoned, but it's click bait to get you to watch so they they get the revenue.

They are careful what they show to make it look abandoned in the editing.

Some of these videos are interesting and as long as they are not damaging and leaving stuff as they find it then there is no harm.  The problem though is that there are only so many places to explore and then it leads to people taking risks to get something different and perhaps leads to more amateur people attempting something that is actually dangerous.

There are a couple of chaps in the Manchester area who do local interest videos, history etc - they end up doing similar content because there are few old workings, tunnels, pipes, waterways and buildings left that haven't been explored.  Luckily, they're both respectful and both interesting so I like to watch their own takes on the same place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Hopefully the Weardale people will be taking these oafs to court for trespass, inciting trespass and anything else that can be dreamed up. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Trespass is Trespass.

it should not be encouraged, and theres no such thing as doing no harm... all it needs is for a younger viewer to see it, copy it, and not have the same awareness, then next thing is a death, and everyone shrugs shoulders and says its a sad thing.

Throw the book at them, make an example, and let them live stream their 24 hours a day in a cell, so others can see the result.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Hopefully the Weardale people will be taking these oafs to court for trespass, inciting trespass and anything else that can be dreamed up. 

And this is Britain so nothing will happen to them. There are no consequences here.

Hell, you kill someone driving your car dangerously , you are out in a year and a half ..

• Like 1