Troon Station Fire

• RMweb Premium

Lets hope the DfT's dedicated army of bean counters don't decide to clear the lot away and replace it with their proposed national standard glorified draughty bus shelter design.

I presume it is listed?  Not that means a jot nowadays. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Lets hope the DfT's dedicated army of bean counters don't decide to clear the lot away and replace it with their proposed national standard glorified draughty bus shelter design.

I presume it is listed?  Not that means a jot nowadays. 

33 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

From what I've seen the roof and interior is gutted but exterior walls look to have survived. Hopefully it will be rebuilt, in BR days any fire of this sort inevitably resulted in the bulldozer followed by a bus shelter replacement

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Troon back in 2009 before a more recent refurbishment.

Troon2009 (3).JPG

More or less how I remember it back in 1978, though probably wearing a couple of additional coats of paint by the time of this photo.

I thought I had a photo of my own to add, but this is the best I can do. Taken from the footbridge looking north, it doesn't show the main part of the station.

DSC01067.JPG.8d6dd7a83229e6d564d50c6b1399d2a1.JPG

The large stone building in the distance is my old school. Used to see the trains, Swindon InterCity class 126's, not that I knew what they were then, rumbling past the school.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2021 at 22:22, andyman7 said:

From what I've seen the roof and interior is gutted but exterior walls look to have survived. Hopefully it will be rebuilt, in BR days any fire of this sort inevitably resulted in the bulldozer followed by a bus shelter replacement

£500k grant offered to restore fire-ravaged Troon railway station - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57878742

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Good alternative buildings for local people to choose one  traditional one modern both have merits the traditional one has the ability to make it seem as though nothing happened. But the modern scheme really has something special about it you can see them in this months Railway Mag.

• Like 1

It's on the Scotland's Railway website but they've made it extraordinarily difficult to find the pictures. Go to the bottom and scroll across:

https://scotlandsrailway.com/projects/troon-station-redevelopment/location

Option 1 is the one with chimneys, option 2 is without chimneys, option 3 is the one made of Lego. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Modern one is a non-starter, hideous carbuncle.  The traditional sympathetic design (probably without chimneys to be honest) will win by a mile.

Hopefully. I suspect the cheapest option will mysteriously win however...