A statement on The Titfield Thunderbolt.

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Do we really expect this to be played out step by step in public?

Things will happen (probably have already started) in the background and the best we are likely to get are hints when a model is quietly dropped.  

Watching Hornby's share price might also be a sign of anything getting out to a wider audience although as usual it is following its yo-yo like decline after the annual announcement.  But there was one rather odd looking change last week when there was a noticeable drop in the price on a day of relatively limited dealing but that might well have been someone profit taking after the announcement time peak.

However I'm sure we'll not be hearing any sort of public announcement for some time yet - if ever

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 22/01/2022 at 15:33, StuAllen said:

Anyone else notice the full page Rapido advert for Titfield Thunderbolt in this months Model Rail? Very colourful, styled like a movie poster - not subtle.

Also in the news section there’s a couple of lines for the Hornby version but nearly 3/4 page for the Rapido one a couple of pages later.

Remember that any magazines showing up now were complete a month or 2 ago given the lead times for publishing and so none of their coverage in print will reflect the fun of Hornby's official announcement day for a while yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

First you can’t be prosecuted or fined for reporting news and if Hornby pay for an advert it’s their problem not the magazines who publish it. 
Rapido will have passed it to Studiocanal and won’t get updates unless there’s something significant to report. They won’t comment as it could be looked at as interference and influencing witnesses if it were to progress beyond cease and desist. 
So we won’t get hourly, daily or weekly updates for the internet black hole of demand and we will only learn what the result is once an official announcement of the next step is made. When that is depends on whether Hornby decides to fight it. It could be weeks or months. 

4D38D8F9-9640-4DD4-8329-CE7F2F02E419.jpeg.584722e4cc59d96f4176e1ab881f36e4.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2022 at 10:19, PaulRhB said:

The Oxford one does nicely if you remove the canopy and repaint the flywheel and treads. 

C0537892-699C-4B43-92D7-93E30B616DA8.jpeg.41734c85c11420c19d27cb7f89cfe5e8.jpeg

Oxford Product Code: 76APR001

prompted by this I started repainting the bits on mine ready for a bit of weathering. 

0BEFFE1A-23B0-4938-8F90-BCC196A9E59B.jpeg.87d7be652baa096c25541d4fd3113e46.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SHMD said:

If Hornby "decides to fight it" then they will do nothing for as long as possible.

Kev.

This won’t reach that level. No one needs …or can afford…..such as this to get into the hands of lawyers to bring it before public scrutiny.They will be working behind the scenes and out of sight . Hopefully,show's over folks.

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

If Hornby "decides to fight it" then they will do nothing for as long as possible.

Kev.

Well with the 70th anniversary coming up fast, the deadline for doing nothing has already passed...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2022 at 10:19, PaulRhB said:

The Oxford one does nicely if you remove the canopy and repaint the flywheel and treads. 

C0537892-699C-4B43-92D7-93E30B616DA8.jpeg.41734c85c11420c19d27cb7f89cfe5e8.jpeg

Oxford Product Code: 76APR001

Well, that’s either really badly parked or……run away roller :clapping:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, didcot said:

The Oxford Diecast Aveling is a piston valve model, whilst the real thing is a slide valve engine. I'm not aware of any models be they die-cast or white metal that are of the slide valve version. 

details, details, details...............

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, didcot said:

The Oxford Diecast Aveling is a piston valve model, whilst the real thing is a slide valve engine. I'm not aware of any models be they die-cast or white metal that are of the slide valve version. 

Ok I hadn’t noticed a difference to the pictures of the one in the film but I wasn’t really looking at the motion so what needs altering to make it a slide valve version? 

31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Ok I hadn’t noticed a difference to the pictures of the one in the film but I wasn’t really looking at the motion so what needs altering to make it a slide valve version? 

1:  change the cylinder block.  
2: add a generator
3: call it a showmans.

Oh, wait...no, that's something ELSE that's likely to start a flame war !

Different cylinder block, different arrangement of valve gear.  On a 4mm scale model, mostly just altering the cylinder block, make it more "square" on the LHS, rather than rounded, knock the cover off the front to make it square too. 

I would suggest thinning the rear tyres down too...they look stupid thick to my eyes. 

If you are going all out, the distance between the cylinder block and the chimney appears a bit big too- as well as the cylinder block being offset too far (the exhaust on the real one is straight into the chimney, not offset- I don't know enough to know, but would make an assumption that is because the engine blocks porting on the piston valve engine is offset to the outside, and to the inside on the slide valve version.  (the internal porting _is_ different, as 99% of piston valves are inside admission, vice outside admission for slide valves...)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

As has already been explained its the cylinder block in the main. The Aveling that was in the film was a slide valve, so the left hand side of the cylinder block, which is the valve chest, is flat and has a big oval makers plate on it. The piston valved Oxford model has a round bulge on the side to accommodate the piston valve. It also looks like the original has its cylinder block bolted directly to the boiler, so the bottom of the cylinder block would be round and drilled to suit the boiler. The Oxford offering is a later version. The bottom of the cylinder block is flat and there is a steel pressing that sits and is riveted on top of the boiler barrel to which the cylinder block is bolted. I suspect it was an attempt by Aveling to standardise the boiler and allow for compound or piston valve blocks.

From a motion point of view there wouldn't have been a great deal of difference. 

The drain taps on the original are of the push pull variety, whilst the later Avelings had 1/2 turn ones, which tend not to jam as much. If fact I made a set from scratch when I owned an Aveling. 

The rim thickness looks OK to me on the model, mine were over 2" thick! But they could do with toning down. The scarifier looks to be about right. 

Some of the piston valve Avelings were very bad steamers and I got caught out by one many years ago. Couldn't get over 50 psi. Aveling actually reverted back to the slide valves in or around 1930.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, didcot said:

Some of the piston valve Avelings were very bad steamers and I got caught out by one many years ago. Couldn't get over 50 psi. Aveling actually reverted back to the slide valves in or around 1930.

You should have tried an Armstrong-Whitworth !  

Dad, I think, is still in love with Big Johnny, the Fowler that LJB had.   (FF 4912).  Not as much as HIS tractor though, 7529 :)

Davies3

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well I wouldn’t have noticed but thank you chaps. It’s still the closest to a rtp model though but that will be useful on the 7mm one I have a kit for. 

Paul if you look at the link I posted there are some reasonably clear pictures of the cylinder block on there (they all enlarge a bit when you click on them).

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Paul if you look at the link I posted there are some reasonably clear pictures of the cylinder block on there (they all enlarge a bit when you click on them).

:) Thanks, I’d downloaded several of the real roller as the film angles are a bit restricted and it’s obvious when you’re looking for it but overall it’s not a stand out feature unless you do so I’d not clocked it before. Always interesting to learn the little detail differences. 

• Like 2