Whats the best way to stick brick paper to plastic sheet.

Hi all,

I have just got some old Hornby station buildings/goods shed and water tower. They are complete but the original stick on wall wall embelishment are in extremely poor condition.Whats the best way to remove the old stick on brick paper and to stick new more realistic brick paper to plastic walls and roof so that it does not bubble up.

14 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have just got some old Hornby station buildings/goods shed and water tower. They are complete but the original stick on wall wall embelishment are in extremely poor condition.Whats the best way to remove the old stick on brick paper and to stick new more realistic brick paper to plastic walls and roof so that it does not bubble up.

Double sided Sellotape HTH

One method I read about years ago is to place the brick paper on the plastic and then apply a generous amount of MekPak over the sheet. It soaks through and sticks the paper down. I've been using this method for many years and it works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Les Bird said:

One method I read about years ago is to place the brick paper on the plastic and then apply a generous amount of MekPak over the sheet. It soaks through and sticks the paper down. I've been using this method for many years and it works.

In a well ventilated room! I recall as a teenager, modelling in my bedroom, getting a wee bit funky due to inhaled Mek!

I don't know what the buildings you have look like.  However, in general, I see two methods.

First, as Phil has said, use spray adhesive and a rubber roller.

Second, print the brick detail on to self adhesive labels.  Less messy than spray adhesive.

A word of warning, some years ago I used the former method to apply a paper base layer to a plastic structure.  Then I used Pritt glue sticks to apply brick paper to it.  I was appalled to discover, that after a while it all warped.  I assume the paper absorbed moisture and twisted the structure.  I since rebuilt the structure in card.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, brossard said:

I don't know what the buildings you have look like.  However, in general, I see two methods.

First, as Phil has said, use spray adhesive and a rubber roller.

Second, print the brick detail on to self adhesive labels.  Less messy than spray adhesive.

A word of warning, some years ago I used the former method to apply a paper base layer to a plastic structure.  Then I used Pritt glue sticks to apply brick paper to it.  I was appalled to discover, that after a while it all warped.  I assume the paper absorbed moisture and twisted the structure.  I since rebuilt the structure in card.

John

Have used A4 self adhesive sheets with Scalscenes type card modelling with good sucess so tried it for slabs on platforms and textured / yellow lines on edges on top of plasticard - not sucessful - bubbled up - may be due to changes in temperature in attic.

4 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

Have used A4 self adhesive sheets with Scalscenes type card modelling with good sucess so tried it for slabs on platforms and textured / yellow lines on edges on top of plasticard - not sucessful - bubbled up - may be due to changes in temperature in attic.

Yes Bill. Paper getting distorted while glued to plastic is not a surprise.  I tried it once and won't do it again.  Best to keep the materials similar I think (paper/card or textured plastic sheet/plastic card).  Slaters and SE Finecast do nice textured plastic sheets that are just 0.020" thick so easy to cut (unlike Wills sheets).

John