Peterborough North

great northern

Ah well, the best laid plans, and all that. The day got spent either typing golf club stuff, then amending it again...and again, or on the phone, so no railway activity whatsoever. Plenty of images in store though, so here is another view of most of the GN hotel.

attachicon.gifhotel.JPG

I'm now trying to remember from what height I took this.

Maybe from out the window of a bus?

Rather tired tonight, after carrying a full set of clubs round 18 holes of very soggy ground, but lovely to get out in the fresh air again nevertheless. During the days of snow and bitter cold which preceded this opportunity, I did some experimentation with shots under the roof, using the various suggestions that had been made. Here is the first result, taken from the North end as the Scotsman was about to plunge under the canopy. Lots of telephoto on this, and stopped down as far as the camera would allow.

attachicon.gifScotsman roof.JPG

Not very sharp, and too much distortion, but I continued to persevere, as you will see tomorrow. After the express had cleared section the early shift Ramsey branch engine was allowed a run through on the main to get back to New England.

attachicon.gifJ3.JPG

Mons Meg is due to leave next, but that transfer goods will have to wait a while yet.

I like the look of the coaches behind the "streak" to the right but you could uncouple the ones further round the curve (to the left) and leave them out of shot?

Pity about the water crane lurking behind and over the loco. 

How about using a couple of pairs of low opens, one on each line, with a board across to support the camera while its under the roof? Use the self-timer to delay the shot so that you can roll the camera into position. Worth a try?

Chaz

I like the look of the coaches behind the "streak" to the right but you could uncouple the ones further round the curve (to the left) and leave them out of shot?

How about using a couple of pairs of low opens, one on each line, with a board across to support the camera while its under the roof? Use the self-timer to delay the shot so that you can roll the camera into position. Worth a try?

Chaz

Some people are so picky ;-) 

Even amongst so many fantastic shots, to me the photo of the GN Hotel on post 17,557 really stands out. The way the structures are properly grounded and realistically weathered really sells it. 

• RMweb Premium

Chaz

Yes, I agree about the coaches. It looked even worse till I did a heavy crop. I have an idea as to how to disguise that over sharp curve though, so please bear with me on that. Unfortunately the camera is too big to go under the roof at all, so I have to just get it as close as possible, and I do bridge it across the tracks most of the time. The self timer is invaluable, and I always use it unless the camera disables it without telling me. It is good at that. Please watch this space, as more experimental images will follow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some people are so picky ;-) 

Even amongst so many fantastic shots, to me the photo of the GN Hotel on post 17,557 really stands out. The way the structures are properly grounded and realistically weathered really sells it. 

We can always strive to improve though, can't we? Its what life is all about.  I just need to make sure it doesn't become a chore, rather than fun. It is a challenge which at the moment at least is enjoyable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

GIlbert. how many locos does your collection actually extend to - just curious, as you seem to be able to conjure up just about everything that your diagrams call for on every working, and that would need a pretty large roster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

GIlbert. how many locos does your collection actually extend to - just curious, as you seem to be able to conjure up just about everything that your diagrams call for on every working, and that would need a pretty large roster.

At the moment there are 146. I hasten to add that I've built up to that number over a period of thirty years. It may seem a ridiculously excessive number, but it is genuinely necessary for me to be able to achieve what I set out to do. It is all based on careful analysis, and on getting it to be as much like the real thing as I can. So, for example, Silver Fox recently went North on the Flying Scotsman, which was a Newcastle lodging turn for Top shed men. That was move 82 in a sequence of 360. That loco cannot be seen again during this working day, so it won't turn a wheel again for weeks. How many depends on my committment to running trains.

There is still plenty of compromise. There are lots of Pacifics, as they are instantly identifiable, but far less of the classes that are more anonymous. To do it properly, I'd need at least 10 WDs, bit I only have four. Hopefully it isn't too noticeable how often they turn up.

• Like 5

Wasn't when we were kids spotting behind the GPO building in Scunthorpe. At that time, 90732 "Vulcan", the only named WD was allocated to 36C, Frodingham, and we saw it so often it got booed.

And then, one day....it was gone....

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't when we were kids spotting behind the GPO building in Scunthorpe. At that time, 90732 "Vulcan", the only named WD was allocated to 36C, Frodingham, and we saw it so often it got booed.

And then, one day....it was gone....

It was only a very small nameplate though, wasn't it? And usually filthy.

It is now time for the W1 to roll through with its regular Up working from York and Hull, first seen approaching from the North.

attachicon.gif700 1.JPG

Then we begin a sequence of shots under the roof, five in all, but I'll post them in stages to see which, if any, you think work.

attachicon.gif700 roof 1.JPG

Lots of telephoto, hence the out of focus background, and a huge light variation, but then there was on the real thing. In some ways though I think this is quite striking, in fact I like it more each time I look at it.

Hi Gilbert, your layout and your photography skills are amazing. Some of your photos look so realistic, very impressive. I always look forward to seeing them. Please keep them coming, 

It was only a very small nameplate though, wasn't it? And usually filthy.

Yes, but it was the only "namer" we ever had allocated at 36C and the only named WD out of 733, so our pet really.

Yes, but it was the only "namer" we ever had allocated at 36C and the only named WD out of 733, so our pet really.

WD 2-10-0 90774 was also named - NORTH BRITISH, I believe.

post-2274-0-66366100-1520526224.jpg

Copyright M. Morant.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4