Peterborough North

great northern

I like the DE loco inside it's compound. That view of just the top of it's cab would frustrate the spotters too, could they underline it, having NOT seen the number, yet knowing that only that particular loco was to be seen at Peterborough.

I well remember getting kicked out of Doncaster works at the Kirk Street entrance when another spotter told me Mallard was among the locos at the front. You could make out 60..., but nothing else. I was forbidden to write it's number down unless I could verify it in it's entirety. Edging further and further inside the works, I was just able to do so befoire being summarily ejected.

And people who didn't trainspot thought we weren't serious....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like the DE loco inside it's compound. That view of just the top of it's cab would frustrate the spotters too, could they underline it, having NOT seen the number, yet knowing that only that particular loco was to be seen at Peterborough.

I well remember getting kicked out of Doncaster works at the Kirk Street entrance when another spotter told me Mallard was among the locos at the front. You could make out 60..., but nothing else. I was forbidden to write it's number down unless I could verify it in it's entirety. Edging further and further inside the works, I was just able to do so befoire being summarily ejected.

And people who didn't trainspot thought we weren't serious....

I'm sure we all have similar memories. One of mine concerns Newark, probably around 1957/8. We had hung around under the road bridge at the North end of the station for as long as we dared, but the time came when we had to start walking back to Newark Castle station to get the train home. As we got right to the end of the access road, we heard the noise of a train, and a clean A4 shot by northwards. It was getting dusk though and we were some way from it. Was that 60009? We would have loved it to be, and we really thought it was, but could we be sure? Even for teenage oiks honesty prevailed. 60003/6/7/8 were far more likely candidates, so we didn't count it. I still think it was though. :unsure:

• Like 4

I'm sure we all have similar memories. One of mine concerns Newark, probably around 1957/8. We had hung around under the road bridge at the North end of the station for as long as we dared, but the time came when we had to start walking back to Newark Castle station to get the train home. As we got right to the end of the access road, we heard the noise of a train, and a clean A4 shot by northwards. It was getting dusk though and we were some way from it. Was that 60009? We would have loved it to be, and we really thought it was, but could we be sure? Even for teenage oiks honesty prevailed. 60003/6/7/8 were far more likely candidates, so we didn't count it. I still think it was though. :unsure:

Puts me in mind of spotting at Doncaster, when we'd always be in the underpass when the shouts of "Streeeeaaaak" would go up.

Emerging from the underpass up the steps onto what was always the wrong platform, would give us the departing view of the train....and it probably was an A4.

The older lads would then all swear blind it was a rarity.

Same thing getting back from the works: the A4 you needed had always come through while you were away...allegedly.

I blame this for my lack of confidence as an adult....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Trousers?

And too much grease on his jacket - even a highly polished Passenger shunter couldn't get his jacket that shiny.  He could do with a gentle waft over with Dulcote before he leaves for work in the morning.

I was thinking more of the every orange crates/boxes in the background. I take your point though about the gentleman's attire, and I shall add weathering of people to the "to do" list. Dulcote doesn't half niff though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking more of the every orange crates/boxes in the background. I take your point though about the gentleman's attire, and I shall add weathering of people to the "to do" list. Dulcote doesn't half niff though.

They look like the colour if those old woven wicker cane laundry baskets to me - right sort of colour for those but need a bit of toning down perhaps; definitely a strange colour for wooden boxes.  (I wonder if railway laundry baskets worked between the hotel at Peterborough and the railway's laundry at York at one time?)

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

What was inside the DE buildings? the one at the rear has the look of an engineering works?

Try as we may, we know little about that area. There are very few photographs, and even the OS maps I've seen are confusing. We've done the best we can, but really a lot of it is just a question of trying to get it to look right, which Peter has, as usual, achieved. What went on inside particular buildings? I haven't a clue really.

The three at the back are still there, so those were done from photos which were kindly taken for me by a local, and there are plenty of images of the building right at the front, though none at all of its rear. Just to make things even worse, photos taken from even slightly different angles appear to show entirely different things.

• RMweb Premium

They look like the colour if those old woven wicker cane laundry baskets to me - right sort of colour for those but need a bit of toning down perhaps; definitely a strange colour for wooden boxes.  (I wonder if railway laundry baskets worked between the hotel at Peterborough and the railway's laundry at York at one time?)

I've been and had another look at those crates, and they are nothing like as garish as the camera makes them out to be. Something to do with it picking up on the brightest thing in shot? I don't know for sure, but it would be logical for laundry to go to York, I suppose.