Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gresley won with 9 votes. Bulleid had 5, and Bullied 2. I am relieved that I did not have to break a tie by invoking that.

The streamliners today. Best complete train in pre war livery, taking into account matching of locomotive with stock.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

Bulleid had 5, and Bullied 2. I am relieved that I did not have to break a tie by invoking that.

I'll confess to double-checking (twice) before posting, and then checking my post again after posting.  It's far too easy to make that error (or have a spell-checker make it on your behalf...)

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, great northern said:

Gresley won with 9 votes. Bulleid had 5, and Bullied 2. I am relieved that I did not have to break a tie by invoking that.

The streamliners today. Best complete train in pre war livery, taking into account matching of locomotive with stock.

GWR Flying Bananas. No locomotive required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Whilst I have a Silver Jubilee set in the to-do box, my vote has to go to the Coronation.  A complete matching train; the latest issue of Steam Railway has a feature on the restoration of the beaver-tail observation car, surely a candidate for restoration project of the year.  

• Agree 1

Looks like this'll be a one horse race so I'm going to give a mention to the rival LMS Coronation Scot.

Dispassionately, I will concede a somewhat half-hearted attempt compared to the LNER trains; however, it did give rise to the supreme example of the British express passenger pacific locomotive type (discuss!) and the continuation of the bodyside stripes along to the locomotive casing to their converging point above the front coupling was inspired, much more stylised.

It also had a piece of music composed in its honour(!)

Looking forward to delivery of the new Hornby coaches and posing the full rake on Shap Fell!

image.png.8d60f0d56ebf2b661bbbbda82f78d6ac.png

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Filthy Gladiateur again, waiting for the off. Passengers are going to be walking past this on arival at KX. I wonder how many of them would even look at the locomotive, and of those who did, how many would care?

12a 70 2.JPG

Hate to be the mudslinger, Gilbert - but the loco chassis seems to have missed the weathering wand... will that motion be getting some treatment from the muckraking department?

Cheers,

Scott

32 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Whilst I have a Silver Jubilee set in the to-do box, my vote has to go to the Coronation.  A complete matching train; the latest issue of Steam Railway has a feature on the restoration of the beaver-tail observation car, surely a candidate for restoration project of the year.  

Indeed. Vehicle 1729 restored to original condition (as opposed to 1719 which is in altered, BR form)

Some pix of 1729 on the excitable Mr Dunn's twitter thingy:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, jukebox said:

Hate to be the mudslinger, Gilbert - but the loco chassis seems to have missed the weathering wand... will that motion be getting some treatment from the muckraking department?

Cheers,

Scott

That one is a 20+ year old weathering job Scott, and things have moved on a long way since then. We are working to catch up, but there is a lot to be done, some of which is more in need than Gladiateur.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Silver Jubilee,  A major leap for mankind.

after all, it encouraged such as the Coronation Scot...  

The vote has to go to the LNER Silver Jubilee because of the astonishing 1935 exploits of A4 2509.

On the other hand, I am experiencing an LNER phase at the moment, so next week it may be different. I mean, I'm even seeing beauty in Thompson Pacifics...

60501_A2_Image10.jpg.468beaf71440589c015362b8e47bc111.jpg

and...   just to even things up a tad...

2512_A4_Silver_Jubilee_express_4abcd_r1800.jpg.ef8d56e486b2875ecfbec522e9cce314.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going to agree with Sainty on this one, so that is now two votes for the Flying Bananas.

Were you on a yellow card?  I can't remember now, and at least you weren't the prime mover this time, so another instance of wilful misunderstanding will go unpunished. This poll is about proper trains, and primarily about carriages, so there. Nothing to do with bananas, though whoever designed those things may have been.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Were you on a yellow card?  I can't remember now, and at least you weren't the prime mover this time, so another instance of wilful misunderstanding will go unpunished. This poll is about proper trains, and primarily about carriages, so there. Nothing to do with bananas, though whoever designed those things may have been.

But you said

It is a complete train and the gentleman in the film shows you its motive power.

And I thought I had a anti GWR bias.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1