Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In my yoof, there was a tv ad for Farrows. A cartoon crow lands and squawks "Where's my dinner?" and the voiceover says "Sorry, mate, you're too late - the best peas went to Farrows!"

The bottom of Maygib point motors always reminds me of that crow:

700785149_20170112004Maygibpointmotorbottom.JPG.b0c411b3601e30fdcf7cd03af410d85e.JPG

Yes, I know, I should get out more.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

12 Halls in contention, but only one got more than one vote. That was Albert, who got 6 of them.

Thanks for the suggestions, which I shall consider carefully. I do like the idea of mountains though, and so we will do those today.  In this case, diesels are included too.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, great northern said:

I do like the idea of mountains though, and so we will do those today.  In this case, diesels are included too.

Ooh tricky; a lot of evocative names...

I could go for one of  Whernside (D6 but not 60 020), Ingleborough (D7 and 60 022) or Penyghent (D8 and 60 021 (with the addition of a couple of hyphens)), which was a wonderful circular day walk back in the days when I did such things for fun.  The highlight of the walk, of course, is a close encounter with a certain famous viaduct... 

Or my favourite Lake District walk, 60 048 Saddleback...

But in the end I'll vote for 60 050 Roseberry Topping - a quirky name for a quirky shaped hill...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have walked to the top of half a dozen Munros, in one weekend in 1998, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, over three days the year before, Penyghent (twice) and Ingleborough. One I haven't crested is my choice, though - Yes Tor, on Dartmoor. 

• Like 1

Can't bring myself to nominate a name of a diesel (despite some of the Northern England fells being right in my 'Hills of the North' zone) so how about instead an honourable mention for:

Highland Railway/LMS/BR 4-4-0 No.14398/53498 'Ben Alder'

After a 55 year working career it was set aside for preservation in 1953 and stored at various sites, including Boat of Garten on the now Strathspey railway but was eventually cut up in 1967. Definitely 'one that got away'

• Like 1

Ben na Caillach, after 1926 when the spelling was corrected. It means 'Hill of the Old Women', and is in the Red Coolins on Skye. I used to pass them often when living in Portree. One of my jobs involved looking after the airstrip at Broadford, near the Coolins, and private pilots would often ask us what the weather was there. As we were 30 miles away, we used to look out of the window and tell them if we could see the top of the Coolins at 3,000 odd feet. That gave them a good enough indication of cloud level.

Talking of the airstrip, one of my last jobs with the Council was to fill in a claim form for a fire at the fire station. We also had to send in to Head office a list of plane registrations that had landed each month, for them to collect landing fees. HQ had a book with a list of all the registration numbers and contact details, including what model of plane. We got a phone call back one month - 'Did you really have a 747 land at Broadford?' The Secretary had put the wrong registration number down!

Lloyd

• Funny 5

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have walked to the top of half a dozen Munros, in one weekend in 1998, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, over three days the year before, Penyghent (twice) and Ingleborough. One I haven't crested is my choice, though - Yes Tor, on Dartmoor. 

Does that mean that today is Yes Tor Day?

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

Please forgive me for this, as I am only now getting caught up on the thread, but some (very late and therefore ineligible) votes for favoured loco names...

Patriot - 5523 Bangor (Home town - but not that Welsh imposter version!)
Britannia - 70005 John Milton (greatest poet of English) or, had it had the nameplates that were once considered for it, 70047 G. K. Chesterton
King Arthur - 741 Joyous Gard or 805 Sir Constantine (any Hellblazer fans knocking about?)
Lord Nelson - 863 Lord Rodney (my grandmother once had a tour of the battleship, and kept a souvenir brooch)
West Country - 34030 Watersmeet (a peaceful-sounding place) or, for the hilarity the name engendered in Cabin Pressure, 34045 Ottery St Mary (not to be confused with Weasels King Henry, or Hedgehog O'Brien...)
Merchant Navy - 35020 Bibby Line (former employer of a former phenomenal girlfriend)
D34 - 62468 Glen Orchy (not far, geographically speaking, from where I enjoyed a phenomenal holiday with the aforementioned. The weather was awful and we didn't get out much.)
D49 - 2716 Kincardineshire (where I spend much of my time)

• Like 1

Reverting to Castle names I would like to retrospectively alter my vote for Bristol Castle to Sun Castle, having been overcome with a need to renounce Swindon and go to a true New England engine name ....   Sun Castle having been a regular there until 1963 according to my various books.

I am also curious as to which of the other A2/3s and indeed maybe even an A2/2  like 60507 may have worked the Waverley Route...  the recent release of Hornby's A2s rendering the class of abiding interest,  to me at least.

Such is my malaise that his morning I bought a Bachmann model of a Scottish-based Peppercorn A2 No.60534 Irish Elegance , partly because it was a bargain and partly because it has a straight running plate and cab area. 

Given that the Thompson A2s of various types have had quite bad press over the years it is refreshing to read Peter Coster's Irwell accounts of them being much more liked by crews than I had thought, especially in Scotland.

I wonder what the New England crews thought of them? I read that 64B Waverley Shed kept them quite clean and they sometimes deputised for A3s and A4s.  Still they were few in number and never fully sorted.

Lovely 9F picture Gilbert, are there any more Thompson A2/3s hiding on your layout?  I think on reading shed allocations that one may safely choose from several 34E engines around 1958-63; 60500, 60513, 60514, 60520, 60523...  as well as the A2/2s ?

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tryfan won with 2 votes. All others only got one, which is good, as I wouldn't have liked to spell some of them, let alone pronounce them. Thanks for the one translation though.

Borrowing from the very good series now on TV, how about some architecture?  Best "house style" among pre grouping Companies.

• Like 1

I will go with the island platform stations of the Cathcart Circle in Glasgow, built by the Cathcart District  Railway (substantially owned by the Caledonian Railway who operated the line). In 1985 I lived in the tenement in Torrisdale Street that overlooks Queen's Park station.

• Like 2