Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Morning, sorry for missing the glorious N5 cameo shot on Friday, I have been distracted this weekend, Arthur Itis is causing sleep issues, as in, none!

It has to be the Coronation, as the LMS job was ruined by that upturned bathtub at the front.  Removing it made them so much nicer!  (A little like A4 valences, but...shhhh....).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, for today’s poll, I’m going with Thompson non corridor stock - the first class seats were very comfortable. ;)  That’s if I’ve understood the poll correctly to mean BR era.

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To put in extra words.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, great northern said:

Coronation easy winner with 9 votes. Bananas nowhere. I was surprised that the Silver Jubilee only got 1 vote though.

Let's try best post grouping non corridor stock. This does not include DMUs, or self propelled oddities.

"Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today"

Shame...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Well, for today’s poll, I’m going with Thompson non corridor stock - the first class seats were very comfortable. ;)  That’s if I’ve understood the poll correctly to mean BR era.

Rob.

I will vote for Thompson n/c stock too. I have spent a night or two sleeping in the SRPS example on the nights prior to railtours.  Very comfortable and of course full width seats so plenty room! That one was built in early BR days to the Thompson design.

David

• RMweb Premium

Best post grouping non-gangway stock?

That is simple LMS period 2. They looked great when in LMS maroon and fully lined out. Not so smart in plain BR crimson.

They even looked good when painted in multiple unit green with yellow lining and yellow panels, that is the Altrincham and North London EMU versions of these coaches.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I know the rules say NO DMUs - but that doesn't include EMUs!

So my vote goes to the classic Southern Railway 4-SUB vehicles, the first (with domed cab roof ends) intoduced in 1941 with the rest (with no roof end doming) from 1944.

Hope that is acceptable.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

I know the rules say NO DMUs - but that doesn't include EMUs!

So my vote goes to the classic Southern Railway 4-SUB vehicles, the first (with domed cab roof ends) intoduced in 1941 with the rest (with no roof end doming) from 1944.

Hope that is acceptable.

Regards

Chris H

Good sidestepping attempt - I'll second that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

The lamps are too big IMHO. Are they springside? Why not use the LMS ones? 

As for the Bachmann K3, As discussed with TW on Gresley Jn, I think it’s passable. It doesn’t pick up all the subtle detail differences and I think it’s closest to the group standard version (61870 onwards). The broadside shot show up the rather small wheels but it’s less noticeable in the head on shot. You seem to have front footsteps on one side but not the other! I think a scrabble around in the four foot is on order!

Andy

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Tonight we have a Colwick to KX Goods service, which may well have been K3 hauled. My rather inaccurate Lincoln engine, 61828, is standing in, as I don't have a Colwick engine.

393063553_118281.JPG.dc121d60eb64f261a45e68d25fab2f3e.JPG

A splendid picture, Gilbert,

And, speaking of pictures, the prototype/model shot taken from Crescent Bridge in the current BRM is one of the most-effective I have ever seen.

You mention the K3 being 'inaccurate'. Is that because it's Lincoln-based or the fact that it's left-hand drive and has the later series, longer cab with smaller windows? I know a few of the earlier-built K3s later got LH drive; was 61828 one of them? And, were K3s fitted with AWS in 1958? 

You'll also have to look in the 6' for the missing front step....................

The lamps are just about OK (LMS ones are far superior, though), but the one over the LH buffer appears to be floating.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited because it reiterates part of what Andy (The Green Howards) has just posted.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And, speaking of pictures, the prototype/model shot taken from Crescent Bridge in the current BRM is one of the most-effective I have ever seen.

You mention the K3 being 'inaccurate'. Is that because it's Lincoln-based or the fact that it's left-hand drive and has the later series, longer cab with smaller windows? I know a few of the earlier-built K3s later got LH drive; was 61828 one of them? And, were K3s fitted with AWS in 1958? 

You'll also have to look in the 6' for the missing front step....................

The lamps are just about OK (LMS ones are far superior, though), but the one over the LH buffer appears to be floating.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited because it reiterates part of what Andy (The Green Howards) has just posted.

Thank you Tony, I shall treasure that compliment. As to the K3,I wanted a Lincoln engine, and for some reason I particularly remembered 61828. I didn't do the necessary research though, as you pointed out to me a while back, and I'm still considering what can be done about that.  There's a lot to be done in general terms in reuniting locos with bits that have fallen off, but those bits seem to get more and more difficult for me, what with sausage fingers and dodgy eyes. Tim and I now have a very long "to do" list, but hopefully we may be starting on a return to something approaching normality soon, and can do something about that.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Gilbert & Tony

Difficult to tell but isn't the one over the left buffer a 'tail lamp'?

Brian

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

The lamps are too big IMHO. Are they springside? Why not use the LMS ones? 

As for the Bachmann K3, As discussed with TW on Gresley Jn, I think it’s passable. It doesn’t pick up all the subtle detail differences and I think it’s closest to the group standard version (61870 onwards). The broadside shot show up the rather small wheels but it’s less noticeable in the head on shot. You seem to have front footsteps on one side but not the other! I think a scrabble around in the four foot is on order!

Andy

The problem with lamps is that in the dim and distant past a lot got superglued on, and they were Springside, because there weren't any better ones back then. The only remedy is to chop them off, and put on new lamp irons. I have tried making new ones myself, but they are so small as to be beyond my abilities.

As to the missing footstep, that is yet another example of my ability not to spot things when taking and looking at photographs.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Only a few votes in the latest poll, almost all for Thompson. For some reason those lavatory composites are among my favourite coaches, so I was pleased they got more than one mention.

Are we temporarily polled out again?  I suspect so, but I do want to keep this thread a two way process, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how we might achieve that?

In the meantime, can I ask you what you think were the most glaring omissions when It came to preserving steam locomotives?  To keep Clive interested, we will start with Midland Railway engines.