Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I'll plump for the George the Fifth 4-4-0. Apparently they were quite decent locos - better than some of their larger contemporary 4-6-0 cousins. 

Superheating was apparently a part of that success, so Hamilton Ellis records. And that had been learnt from trials between Croydon and Rugby, where the LBSCR I3 demonstrated the economic advantages of that feature, compared to the LNW Precursor. He says Bowen-Cooke designed the George V as a result of these trials - which LNWR had initiated. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

I will go with Webb's Greater Britain class 2-2-2-2 tender locomotives. I remember as a kid drawing one and sending the picture to Vision On!

Is that the one where the two sets of independently driven driving wheels could spin in opposite directions, thus impeding forward progress somewhat?

7 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Sticking with the bigger passenger tank locos, my vote goes to the Bowen-Cooke "Prince of Wales" 4-6-2Ts, which seem to have been very competent locos used on differing routes.

Regards

Chris H

I agree . Add my vote to that.

I hope the Furness Railway will get a look in on the votes soon

5 hours ago, David Bell said:

I will go with Webb's Greater Britain class 2-2-2-2 tender locomotives. I remember as a kid drawing one and sending the picture to Vision On!

Here's a pointless factoid about that class that I only learnt about fairly recently.

Apparently, in 1897, as part of the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, No.2053 'Greater Britain' was painted red and sister loco No.2054 'Queen Empress' was painted white - I kid you not! The Royal Train to Scotland was thus hauled by engines successively in red, white and blue (the latter of course being a Caledonian loco). I bet No.2054 wasn't very white by the time it got to Carlisle!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Here's a pointless factoid about that class that I only learnt about fairly recently.

Apparently, in 1897, as part of the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, No.2053 'Greater Britain' was painted red and sister loco No.2054 'Queen Empress' was painted white - I kid you not! The Royal Train to Scotland was thus hauled by engines successively in red, white and blue (the latter of course being a Caledonian loco). I bet No.2054 wasn't very white by the time it got to Carlisle!

That is up there with whitewashing the coal!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, David Bell said:

That is up there with whitewashing the coal!

Painting a line of white wash around the top layer of a coal stack was a security measure. 

No one would be daft enough to take the top layer as the gap would show. And in trying to take some of the lower layer out without the white line collapsing, you had to be very very careful. 

As for white washing coal as a punishment in the army. It was totally stupid thing to do, but it did teach me you not to do the stupid thing I you did to be punished. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Painting a line of white wash around the top layer of a coal stack was a security measure. 

No one would be daft enough to take the top layer as the gap would show. And in trying to take some of the lower layer out without the white line collapsing, you had to be very very careful. 

As for white washing coal as a punishment in the army. It was totally stupid thing to do, but it did teach me you not to do the stupid thing I you did to be punished. 

I was thinking of the pictures of CR123 when she visited the Bluebell Railway (I think) and they whitewashed the coal in the tender.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Quite a long running session, during which I found, despite being quite sure that I had examined every single coach I have, that there were still some with Hunt couplings installed upside down.:scratch_one-s_head_mini: Now corrected, and reliability not surprisingly improved.

To celebrate the augmentation of the image store, here is a bonus picture of a looming A4.

838653992_823.JPG.e19def215f8eb413b4933e8a415acc52.JPG

Would not the driver have had something to say to the photographer  for that image? 

2 hours ago, great northern said:

A general view looking North tonight.

2078404796_91630.JPG.08ea8cac366557add9835972f9d2e91c.JPG

I haven't a clue how the camera managed to get that coach to look like that.

We have software which can cure things like that.

Just click here...    and welcome to an alternative reality. :)  I trust that the jab you had a few days ago has not caused any problems, apart from upsidedown couplings and coach orientation?  We are about to begin vaccinations here in NZ where all infections are in isolation, well, all the known ones, and there is much interest in the progress of the UK US and other country's responses.

Sorry that's a bit off thread (what's new? I have just created a picture of Thompson's singular A1/1 and find myself liking the look of the engine. Is that a notifiable condition?

Lovely, brilliant composition, the photo that is, and I didn't notice the carriage.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, great northern said:

A general view looking North tonight.

2078404796_91630.JPG.08ea8cac366557add9835972f9d2e91c.JPG

I haven't a clue how the camera managed to get that coach to look like that.

Gilbert,

I’ve had a closer look at the image with the dodgy coach.  For some reason the inner wheelset of the rear bogie is in the air?  Is this take fitted with the new couplings?  

Paul

Re: Whitewashing coal.

In addition to security, isn't there also a point in that coal deteriorates in sunlight, so whitewash, by reflecting some light, gives the coal some protection?

Saves having to fire a normal grate with dust?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, robmcg said:

We have software which can cure things like that.

Just click here...    and welcome to an alternative reality. :)  I trust that the jab you had a few days ago has not caused any problems, apart from upsidedown couplings and coach orientation?  We are about to begin vaccinations here in NZ where all infections are in isolation, well, all the known ones, and there is much interest in the progress of the UK US and other country's responses.

Sorry that's a bit off thread (what's new? I have just created a picture of Thompson's singular A1/1 and find myself liking the look of the engine. Is that a notifiable condition?

Lovely, brilliant composition, the photo that is, and I didn't notice the carriage.  

I had a sore arm for a few hours after the jab, and was very tired for several days, but really nothing to worry about.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1