Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, great northern said:

As Doncaster slowly approaches, here is the view to the north, quiet now, but very soon that will change.

I like panoramic views.

That's an interesting view as well Gilbert, and one I don't think we've seen before?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

Your post and the one below have got me thinking. Shutters, eh? However, if I'm going to be sensible, the first thing to do is to experiment by temporarily blocking out the light in the lower half of the windows, and to see how much that leaves me with. If it isn't enough for photography without additional lighting, I don't think there is any point.

When I were a much younger person with energy and mobility, I worked P.T. /Casual for a Stage Production Company and did Tours/Exhibitions and Conferences. One of the things they did was a 'reveal' at Conferences/Exhibitions that used Electric Blinds that you could adjust as with ordinary Blinds. Not inexpensive but quite clever and, if fitted correctly to your window spaces, would allow multiple positioning and could be combined with insulation properties. No "Put that bloody Light out!" from the ARP Warden either. I am responsible for the Shearings Coaches take over of National Holidays or some sort of Coach lot back in the late 80s.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

That's an interesting view as well Gilbert, and one I don't think we've seen before?

I've done similar Steve, but I think this one has come out far better. Now all I have to do is remember how I did it.

40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know nothing, but a less expensive option may be some sort of camera Gismo/Filter/ bit of paper stuck on with Blue Tak?

Yo.

P

Not sure what you mean Phil. Stuck on the camera?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, great northern said:

I've done similar Steve, but I think this one has come out far better. Now all I have to do is remember how I did it.

Not sure what you mean Phil. Stuck on the camera?

Apologies, meant blue tak stuck on the walls otherwise filters for camera. My brain not working as usual.

P

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know nothing, but a less expensive option may be some sort of camera Gismo/Filter/ bit of paper stuck on with Blue Tak?

Yo.

P

That's more like it! Blu Tac, quite high tech enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

One thing I've not noticed before.......the lack of population on that wonderful platform, looks a little to bare, no seats, trollies no Porter sweeping up. Just three or four people, would be enough.

manna

• RMweb Premium

Today I had the pleasure of a visit from Howard Smith of BRM and Tony Wright, the purpose being to do a video of goings on at PN. I prepared sensibly, or so I thought, by choosing some of my most reliable running trains and locos in advance, and by warning myself not to get flustered if anything did go amiss. Well, the first train derailed before it even got out of the fiddle yard, and it was pretty much downhill from then on. A combination of operator error and previously well behaved things deciding to be very uncooperative had my blood pressure soaring.

Fortunately Howard and Tony kept me under some control, which is more than could be said for the trains, and apparently they think there is enough footage to put something acceptable together for eventual viewing. It really is remarkable though how things that have run smoothly and reliably when I'm alone delight in misbehaving when it really matters. I just hope there isn't also to be another video of out takes.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

One thing I've not noticed before.......the lack of population on that wonderful platform, looks a little to bare, no seats, trollies no Porter sweeping up. Just three or four people, would be enough.

manna

I've been looking for photos to see what actually was there, but there are very few, and there is always a train obscuring the view anyway. There must be a reason why I didn't put any seats along there, but I can't remember what it was. As to people, my views on model figures are well known. The ones already around often irritate me, so until I find some that I really like they will be absent.

There don't seem to have been any seats on the main platforms other than under the cover of the roof, so perhaps there actually weren't any. That would be very strange though, and would surely have attracted lots of complaints.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been able to visit this thread as often as I would like of late, but when I do get to visit, I do so enjoy such lovely views such as the one above, nicely Timmed locos of various descriptions and shots of Peter's amazing architecture.  Continues to inspire me each time.  Thanks for continuing to post Gilbert.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Suspect all ran smoothly this morning G? Murphy's and all that.

Phil

Not had time today Phil. Quite a long and very helpful discussion with the new pharmacist at our Health Centre, some  duvet wrestling, and a long chat with Tim, to see if he can work out what was going wrong. Apart from the curse of the visiting Wright, he did have some helpful suggestions to make. Long walk time soon, so all will wait till tomorrow. Very dark and dismal here anyway, so I wouldn't have been able to do any photography.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, great northern said:

Today I had the pleasure of a visit from Howard Smith of BRM and Tony Wright, the purpose being to do a video of goings on at PN. I prepared sensibly, or so I thought, by choosing some of my most reliable running trains and locos in advance, and by warning myself not to get flustered if anything did go amiss. Well, the first train derailed before it even got out of the fiddle yard, and it was pretty much downhill from then on. A combination of operator error and previously well behaved things deciding to be very uncooperative had my blood pressure soaring.

Fortunately Howard and Tony kept me under some control, which is more than could be said for the trains, and apparently they think there is enough footage to put something acceptable together for eventual viewing. It really is remarkable though how things that have run smoothly and reliably when I'm alone delight in misbehaving when it really matters. I just hope there isn't also to be another video of out takes.

If it’s any consolation I had the similar problems when I took some of my trains over to be photographed on Little Bytham.  In my case it was mainly the Hunt couplings which kept separating (even though they behave perfectly at home) along with one loco which wouldn’t work at all (blown chip as it turned out). I think that Sir’s famous eye is partly to blame but there’s also an element of me noticing minor problems more when I know someone else is watching - perhaps that’s good for me? And I think I then get stressed and rush things which doesn’t help.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Murphy's law applies to us all. Gilbert has not skimped on cost or quality, engaging the finest exponents in his quest for authenticity and good running. Yet the unimaginable still happens.

My lawn-tractor was taken for a service. I have started it regularly and it has done the biz. Come the day to put it on a trailer and it was dead as a dodo. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Murphy's law applies to us all. Gilbert has not skimped on cost or quality, engaging the finest exponents in his quest for authenticity and good running. Yet the unimaginable still happens.

My lawn-tractor was taken for a service. I have started it regularly and it has done the biz. Come the day to put it on a trailer and it was dead as a dodo. 

Too many variables at play, I think.  When I mentioned one derailment to Tim, the immediate question was "what loco was It" "Hornby A3". "Oh well, that was back to backs on the bogie wheels then, Hornby's Pacifics are notoriously tight". And apparently I shouldn't have used a track rubber when I did the cleaning, because that may have caused the slipping.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4