Peterborough North

great northern

Re this "shall I buy another loco"......

I reckon you should go for the perennial ER loco, the Brush type 2 diesel.......

Now that will put the cat amongst the pigeons for sure!

Stewart  :jester:

Weren't they Brush A1A-A1A Type 3 in Gilberts era.....?

Edited by coachmann

Weren't they Brush A1A-A1A Type 3 in Gilberts? era.....?

I don't think they even existed at that time, the 1st batch began in 1958. They were really GE locos though. The later ones (blue star type) were later re-engined and I think that is when they could be classed as type 3. They swamped East Anglia, and the lower reaches of the GN, with another smaller batch in the Sheffield area.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

I don't think they even existed at that time, the 1st batch began in 1958. They were really GE locos though. The later ones (blue star type were later re-engined and I think that is when they could be classed as type 3. They swamped East Anglia, and the lower reaches of the GN, with another smaller batch in the Sheffield area.

Stewart

And instead the southern end of the GN was given a hotch-potch of various Type 2 diesels only one of which was really successful.

I don't think they even existed at that time, the 1st batch began in 1958. They were really GE locos though. The later ones (blue star type) were later re-engined and I think that is when they could be classed as type 3. They swamped East Anglia, and the lower reaches of the GN, with another smaller batch in the Sheffield area.

Stewart

The re-engined locos had/have 1470bhp English Electric engines. Type 3s are 1500 to 1999bhp.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

As Derek says,I'm sure you can't resist a "Tango" or two as they were certainly frequent visitors to P.N. I know 'cos I've been there;got the T shirt etc. But I'm sure your aware they were often seen anyway. I continue to enjoy your thread ,though I know I don't comment as much as I should perhaps, so keep it up and thanks.

Regards,Roy.

I do have a Tango already Roy, but you are quite right, I can't resist another one so I have a Heljan one on pre order. Did they get South of New England much in the late 50's? You are the man who can tell me for sure!

• RMweb Premium

Received my July BRM yesterday & excellent article by Gilbert on fiddle-yard planning. Particularly useful to me as I am currently working on the design of my 'retirement-project' layout. Just thought I would point-out however that the type-setting gremlins have been at work on the article on my copy of the magazine. I needed to jump from the end of the 1st column on page 81 to whole of page 82 & then back to 2nd & 3rd columns on page 81, then to page 83 to get everything in order. I don't know if all copies of the magazine are the same but I thought I would point that out in case others are having problems making sense of things.

Yup, I was doomed but eventually discovered the order in which it should  Presumably these days the mags are  a little confused set on a screen thingy. If that's the case then we are doomed all  (unless, of course,  thePC   or some young person's gooseberry  Editor actually edits?) have been read!

Alf Abbet.

Ah yes, that confused me too, and I wrote the thing. I'm not sure how they managed to do that, but I hope people have persevered and plotted their way through it rather than giving up altogether. It does look as though all copies are the same.

• RMweb Premium

Stewart

The first ones actually arrived in 1957, and deliveries up to D5517 had taken place by August 58. They were all the early type without headcode boxes, and one or two went to March. I do have one, but it has succumbed to the Hornby  chassis crumbling disease, and I can't be bothered to send it back for repair, as when it returned it would just take a duty which I'd rather roster to a B17.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And instead the southern end of the GN was given a hotch-potch of various Type 2 diesels only one of which was really successful.

Not for long though Mike. The Kings Cross suburban timetable was in such chaos that by late 59 Brush 2's were being drafted in and by mid 60 when I next went to London they had more or less taken over, about 35 of them at Finsbury park by then. All the D5300 series had gone to Scotland, the D6100's were probably still hidden under tarpaulins in New England yards, and most of the baby deltics had brewed themselves up pretty thoroughly.

Stewart

Stewart,

they also worked on the "High Dyke" stone traffic in the early sixties, after the demise of the "Tango's"

Regards,Derek.

I do have a Tango already Roy, but you are quite right, I can't resist another one so I have a Heljan one on pre order. Did they get South of New England much in the late 50's? You are the man who can tell me for sure!

I must confess Gilbert,after I'd posted,I got to thinking I'm not too sure whether the 02s got south of New England yards regularly in 1958 . 9Fs and Austerities were more common were'nt they . But I'm sure you could use one occasionally. Sorry I can't be more specific.

When at K.X. in'59 &'60 I made it a few times to New England on 9Fs, but of course that's quite a useless bit of info  !

Roy.

The class 31 were very common in the Lincoln area, being used to displace steam from 8/63, and training runs before that.  During the next decade, over 100 of the class were allocated to Lincolnshire-mainly Immingham, but examples were fitted with token apparatus for High Dyke workings, and I am sure many examples would be seen at Peterborough during this time.  The influx of this class was followed by class 20's then class 37 and 47.  A pair of class 15's (D8208/42) were briefly seen at Immingham in 1966-transferred from London, they would almost certainly have passed through Peterborough and travelled along the East Lincolnshire line.

• RMweb Premium

It is rather a long time since I got round to taking some photos. I'm not sure why, as I haven't achieved much in other areas either. :scratchhead: Today, at least, some trains ran, though nothing green, or even modern. There will be some who like that though. First arrival was the 5.32pm Peterborough East - Leicester, and it seems that the usual requirement for more engines to haul holiday extras and excursions has resulted in shedmasters having to scrape even closer to the bottom of the barrel. 4F's were quite common on these trains, but a 3F? 

attachicon.gif3f 1.jpg

If she is already short of steam having come up the hill from East, the poor fireman will be in for a hard time.

attachicon.gif3f 2 alt.jpg

Four minutes stop here to build up the fire. After which you should have seen the train pull away, with a nice photoshopped sky.However, having spent ages on it, I discovered that very early in the process Paint.Net had eaten most of the signal box roof. :angry:  When I started to do it again I looked at that lattice post, and couldn't face it.

attachicon.gif3f 3.jpg

Tisn't sharp anyway.

The cameraman then quickly moved to the other side of the tracks, in order to capture the arrival of a pre grouping veteran on the 4.45pm from Grantham. This load was hardly going to tax even this old lady though. What was taxing was to find that Paint.Net had been at it again, this time swallowing a complete coach roof, and I couldn't face starting again, so you were going to get it unadulterated. Having looked at it again though, it has absolutely no merit anyway, so we will miss out the first shot.

attachicon.gifcoaches.jpg

That was the " coming towards " shot, so you get a close up of the stock instead. I do like Gresley coaches - when they are done correctly.

attachicon.gifa5 3.jpg

And then we do get a look at the loco.

attachicon.gifa5 4.jpg

Next I decided I was in the mood for a challenge, which any attempt to take photos of trains under the roof certainly is. On this shot I was helped by one of those blobs that somehow appears, as it almost looks like smoke coming from the A5's chimney.

attachicon.gifa5 5.jpg

Luck soon ran out though, as this one, which otherwise came out quite well, is totally spoilt by a well positioned blob. It isn't something on the lens by the way, but I don't know what causes it, or how to get rid of it. Can it be removed by photoshopping? I don't see how.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel........Now there Gilbert how rude of you to be so unkind to one of Derby's best loco classes. :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos Gilbert, I don't recall seeing the A5 before.  I think they were quite useful and a decent design?

The 3F though - they were OK, but less said about 4F's the better, having read 'Mendips Engineman'!!

• RMweb Premium

It can and I did to a degree but felt it looked good with a bit more fug. :)

attachicon.gifPNfug.jpg

That's very nice Andy, and I agree that there would be plenty of smoke under that roof most of the time. What causes those blobs by the way? Is there anything I can do to avoid them?

What causes those blobs by the way? Is there anything I can do to avoid them?

There is likely to be barely visible specks somewhere on the lens surface, the longer the exposure (as it would be for you under the canopy) the more the effect of the diffraction from them.

Check the lens under a very bright light and clean with appropriate cloth/cleaner and take photos of a plain dark card surface to see if there's still any evidence.

• RMweb Premium

Scraping the bottom of the barrel........Now there Gilbert how rude of you to be so unkind to one of Derby's best loco classes. :nono: :nono:

Very good for the purpose for which it was designed, I'm sure, but the classification 3F does suggest surely that passenger work wasn't on its CV?  And it has passed its 50th birthday too.