Peterborough North

great northern

Hi Gilbert,

Good news about the new Hornby Pullmans, but why do they have to have white roofs ?   All my pics of them during the BR period show black/dirty roofs/dark grey kin kdeeping with other coaching stock.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Good news about the new Hornby Pullmans, but why do they have to have white roofs ?   All my pics of them during the BR period show black/dirty roofs/dark grey kin kdeeping with other coaching stock.

Stuart

Presumably they are shown in ex works condition Stuart. It's what Hornby have always done with pullman cars. Better than the silver roofs they originally did , but the weathering paints will have to be employed before they get on PN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, last time you will see this image, I promise, but I just wanted to have one more go, using the advice I have been given. No attempt to photoshop properly, just a general impression. Is this what Coachmann and others were talikng about?

post-98-0-56348500-1435496636_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Gilbert,

I just opened this picture up on my iPhone, and can only see two imperfections, which are the lamps on the front of the 9F. Apart from that, I

Would be very hard pressed to tell it from the original.

Outstanding!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I went to what was part of the LNER at one time. There was a Beast there too, opposite the Loughborough Central signal box by the loco shed bridge and I spent several minutes seconds admiring it.

A most enjoyable day out at the GCR (Loughborough) with some of those fine fellows from ANTB; to be recommended, especially the luncheon! Thanks Colin.

Best laugh of the day.....someone had chartered a train for their weddiing reception. I was very tempted to stand outside the main coach and shout.......don't do it, but I think they already had (as it was the reception).

Slight disappointment of the day......the wedding train had a 9F and we only had an Ivatt 2.6.0.

I waved to Gilbert as  I sped past on the A46 this morning and this afternoon. I think he was searching for best price Hornby K Pullmans and so he didn't notice.......... :scratchhead:

Cunning plan of the day......I avoided the A1 diversions and missed the traffic jams in Ollerton by using my duck flight knowledge of the hidden villages just west of the A1 and just north of Newark. Good thing to know about if you happen to use the A1 northbound north of Newark.

Quackers.

Here it is

post-12721-0-78798500-1435512873_thumb.jpg

So far as I can see there are no birds using any of the posts in any of the pics I have in my collection. One blast of the safety valves and all that tooting and chiming of whistles would have also kept them well at bay. Hoorah!

Quackers.

or perhaps not

post-12721-0-10698300-1435512866_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Despite what Gilbert said about not adding bird lime, it looks as though he only needs to apply a slight touch of white to the capping piece of the pole though, to be prototypically correct, the arms look relatively unsoiled.

Al.

Presumably they are shown in ex works condition Stuart. It's what Hornby have always done with pullman cars. Better than the silver roofs they originally did , but the weathering paints will have to be employed before they get on PN.

Hi Gilbert,

I only have plated side vehicles, and they all have dark grey roofs.   As far as I know, the wooden bodied ones all have white roofs, so this is a departure for Hornby.

I agree, it means the paint job for the roofs if they are to look realistic, certainly for the ECML formations..

I have one of the old,old,old ones with a silver roof.   It is lost somewhere in the "underworld" beneath the layout !!!

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

I think you're just about there, Gilbert.   A metric smidge lower maybe, not too much though!

The pole with the swan neck lamp is a must...very characterful, and yes, a few more non-specific dangly things under the roof would be nice for the low shots.

edit - oh, the pole has a spare screw coupling on it too!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it amazing the difference they make though? That last forecourt shot looks brilliant, the poles give it so much more... um... veracity? authenticity?   even though they don't jump out at you anymore, they just make it look right.

I agree the Beast is still a smidge high, but it's so close, it really is.

Al.

I think the poles make it look less of a model because most models stop about six inches above the ground - the Beast, Son of Beast , Grandson of Beast, Great Nephew-three-times-removed-by-marriage-of-Beast and so on, all blow that one of to the water which is why they really do make the scene come to life

Great work Phil and Gilbert! 

Looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting.

In that last series of pictures with the B1 in them, the whole scene has really "jumped"  into life. It's just amazing the extra impact they have on it.

They were possibly a bit high before, but they look spot on now.  Any lower and I think they'd crowd the scene and get lost a bit.

But what's important is how they look from an everyday operating viewpoint, if they look right  - then they are right !!!

I'm not sure if that last bit makes sense or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff - the low level shots really convincing (although you might want to do something about that gap under the end of the platform ramp).

Chaz

There is a lot of work still to be done so far as getting things properly bedded in is concerned. Peter Leyland and I discuss it every time he visits, but I always find something else that needs to be done first. I agree entirely though with your comment - that gap does destroy any pretence of realism, and it must be dealt with...... soon I hope.

• RMweb Premium

It's obvious why the platform end is as it is, it is to allow that pole to be installed and then the fillet run in just like on the prototype (there is a band of lighter coloured cement or concrete across the bottom of the ramp in the picture). (edit, or even chippings as the Duck says - quack).

Edited by Richard E

I always thought LNER HQ was at York and Liverpool St. was the old GER HQ - I suppose it made sense to move the executive down to London thereby being close to the levers of power at Westminster as well as the other big four companies.

One of the things I love about this forum - you learn something new every day

Edited by bigwordsmith