Peterborough North

great northern

On 31/07/2019 at 11:50, jazzer said:

I think the backscene fulfils it’s purpose really well.

The question is what really do you want it to do? I would say it’s to be there not to be noticed. In other words it’s to unobtrusively fill an empty space that would otherwise stand out like a sore thumb, but without particularly standing out itself. In the pictures posted above I honestly didn’t notice the backscene until you mentioned it but I am pretty sure I would have noticed the space it covers if it wasn’t there. By all means work to improve but don’t let it detract from the main scenes ( the locos). It looks good to me.

Did anyone actually ever travel on that Colchester- Glasgow ? It had taken over fours for “Framilingham” to get as far as Peterborough, and would take another 7hours+ to get to Edinburgh, and taking the best part of 13 hours for the whole journey with no sleeping accommodation and no buffet car ! 

I remember one summer, probably about 1962 or 1963, A group of us getting on at Peterborough North to go to a Boys Brigade camp in Largs. Took the train as far as Glasgow (probably Queen Street), then coach to Largs. It was supposed to wait about 10 minutes at Peterborough East, then just 2 minutes for station work at North. They probably expected us ruffians to take a while to board, so did not wait at east that night!

Apologies for late reply - just been away for a work week - certainly no holiday.

Lloyd

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Simple conclusion then is that I fouled up there, good and proper. That should, but probably won't, get me to examine things more closely in future. I can't find the precise product description on E Bay now, but I'm sure it gave a recent R number.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Strangely the thing looks very 'new'. Possibly sat in someone's cupboard for years or lost in the back of a shop until it was rediscovered. 

It could be dealt with somehow to create some sort of Engineers' vehicle.

By the way G, loved the idea of that photoscene at the south end; you will be able to sort out something really grand for that.

P

• Like 2

On 06/08/2019 at 12:02, FarrMan said:

I remember one summer, probably about 1962 or 1963, A group of us getting on at Peterborough North to go to a Boys Brigade camp in Largs. Took the train as far as Glasgow (probably Queen Street), then coach to Largs. It was supposed to wait about 10 minutes at Peterborough East, then just 2 minutes for station work at North. They probably expected us ruffians to take a while to board, so did not wait at east that night!

Apologies for late reply - just been away for a work week - certainly no holiday.

Lloyd

You now have me researching that damn train ! 

The best I can do, on 1960 timings it started from Colchester at 5.15pm and instead of going to Up to Marks Tey and across to Cambridge, it ran all stations, except Bentley Down to Ipswich where it had a rest for 15 minutes , before trundling up to Stowmarket, where it stopped for another 4 minutes,then back across country to Bury St Edmunds (10minute stop) and then to Ely. After a mere 8 minute pause it was onto March ( Another 10 minute stop) then onto Peterborough East where a 22 minute break was called for.

And so the snails pace continued, PN, 18 minutes, Doncaster 20 minutes, York 15 minutes, Newcastle 15 minutes,before it disappears.

Bizarre for a passenger train.. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, jazzer said:

The best I can do, on 1960 timings it started from Colchester at 5.15pm and instead of going to Up to Marks Tey and across to Cambridge, it ran all stations, except Bentley Down to Ipswich where it had a rest for 15 minutes , before trundling up to Stowmarket, where it stopped for another 4 minutes,then back across country to Bury St Edmunds (10minute stop) and then to Ely. After a mere 8 minute pause it was onto March ( Another 10 minute stop) then onto Peterborough East where a 22 minute break was called for.

And so the snails pace continued, PN, 18 minutes, Doncaster 20 minutes, York 15 minutes, Newcastle 15 minutes,before it disappears.

Don't forget large quantities of mail and parcels were carried by passenger trains in those days, especially cross country late night ones like that, the loading and unloading of which required extended station stops.  Also, I don't know where engines were changed on that train but it would probably have happened more than once during the journey so that would also account for extended station stops at some of the places.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

From memory, it was about 9.18pm from Peterborough North, and eventually arrived in Glasgow about 6.00 to 7.00 am. It would have been on a Friday night/Saturday morning in August, 1962, 3 or 4. The camp was just by the Largs branch, south of the station. It was still operated by standard tanks.

Perhaps if there was no buffet (they were always too expensive for us - took our own food) then perhaps all the long station dwell times were to allow troops to refill at the station buffets!

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

From memory, it was about 9.18pm from Peterborough North, and eventually arrived in Glasgow about 6.00 to 7.00 am. It would have been on a Friday night/Saturday morning in August, 1962, 3 or 4. The camp was just by the Largs branch, south of the station. It was still operated by standard tanks.

Perhaps if there was no buffet (they were always too expensive for us - took our own food) then perhaps all the long station dwell times were to allow troops to refill at the station buffets!

Lloyd

The station buffets that closed at 5 pm and opened again at 9 am. :dontknow:

The composition of the train indicates the long stop overs at stations was for the loading and unloading of mail and parcels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I reckon there will have been several engine changes on that trip. Colchester- Cambridge, Cambridge-Peterbrough, then to Newcastle. Another change there as far as Edinburgh, and one more to get to Glasgow.  As Clive and Steve say though, it was a glorified parcels train, and that is why the stops were so long. Would any passenger have made the whole journey? I doubt it, and those who used it for part of the way would have had no illusions as to what was going to happen. They would have hoped to sleep through most of it too.

Edited by great northern
to correct spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 31A said:

Don't forget large quantities of mail and parcels were carried by passenger trains in those days, especially cross country late night ones like that, the loading and unloading of which required extended station stops.  Also, I don't know where engines were changed on that train but it would probably have happened more than once during the journey so that would also account for extended station stops at some of the places.

I had pondered on all that. I doubt it was due to engine changes.  Wherever you look, be it Reading, Salisbury, Peterborough , Carlisle , Doncaster, Newcastle etc, most engine  changes were only allowed 6 minutes , not 20. 

It is tempting to say parcels, and possibly it was but in my small collection of timetables for the 1959/60 period no other passenger train seems to have such long stops on such a long journey. Red Star Parcels wasn't introduced until 1963 so any parcels would presumably be Royal Mail , which into be delivered to main sorting centres, not one long stop at Peterborough East and another at North, and mail when in large amounts tended to have its own train, with vans being detached here and there . Such a pity that hardly anyone took much interest in Parcels trains when we had them but now they have been gone these last (oh my goodness) nearly 30 years we start getting interested.

Still interesting stuff (well it is to me anyway) , thanks for the comments.

P.S. Victor Wild has just come up on my screen. another absolute cracker !

• RMweb Gold

Red Star Parcels was a late initiative to encourage traffic, but parcels had been carried by train for many, many years, entirely separate from the GPO traffic, and the vast majority were still not Red Star even after its introduction as a product. For a start, Red Star was only available if there were no changes of train, and Red Star parcels were not delivered, but must be collected by the consignee. So trains carried loads of parcels. Peterborough was a particularly important centre for parcels despatch, due to the local presence of several mail-order concerns, and hundreds of parcels would be consigned daily from there. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

56 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Red Star Parcels was a late initiative to encourage traffic, but parcels had been carried by train for many, many years, entirely separate from the GPO traffic, and the vast majority were still not Red Star even after its introduction as a product. For a start, Red Star was only available if there were no changes of train, and Red Star parcels were not delivered, but must be collected by the consignee. So trains carried loads of parcels. Peterborough was a particularly important centre for parcels despatch, due to the local presence of several mail-order concerns, and hundreds of parcels would be consigned daily from there. 

G'Day Folks

Used to work one of the parcels trains out of the Parcels/Mail center, about 11 pm, arriving Kings Cross Goods yard about 1 am, usually a class 40.

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Rest of the job to be completed today, so more pictures later. In the meantime, another angle on Victor Wild.

A very heavy crop worked quite well here, but I did it because of the impossible to edit clutter which was otherwise in shot. It isn't any more though.:sungum:

Then we have the stock behind the V2 on the KX local.

633078258_32V2rake2.JPG.0a4b0731637cbab692c0e29d45818c82.JPG

Now I need to work out how to dispose of an awful lot of stuff with my name and address details on which came down from above yesterday. I don't fancy shredding that lot individually.

Hi Gilbert

The two Second Opens in this photo have different number of roof ventilators and the dynamo are not opposite ends of the chassis, are they different diagrams? Or which one do I copy to get my model right?

Edit.....paper......bonfire.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

The two Second Opens in this photo have different number of roof ventilators and the dynamo are not opposite ends of the chassis, are they different diagrams? Or which one do I copy to get my model right?

Bonfire started Clive, and most of the stuff has already gone up in smoke. As to the seconds, I will need to examine them, but I can't do that at the moment as the joiner's erection is in the way.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Red Star was a very good service when I used it on a regular basis in the 1970s; the despatch clerk would note the train a parcel would be on, so you could arrange for it to be collected. Later, it changed so that changes of train could be made, though this was limited to one, IIRC. At one time, they would take pets, suitably caged and sedated; one of our cats came from Northallerton to Ashford with them.

General parcels traffic was a real mixture; everything from day-old chicks and flasks of bull to Christmas presents. There was a service called 'Passenger's Luggage in Advance', which saved you being encumbered with baggage when going on holiday, or away to study; the lorry would come to pick your stuff up the day before you travelled, so it would be waiting for you when you arrived.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

That last shot is from an excellent position and I look forward to many more from there G. What a splendid job your fellow has done. I know who to ask when I need some storage units as was done for your 'Loco Sheds'.

Duck.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I've had a look now Clive. They are both numbered as Dia186 carriages. The crimson and cream one was built by Ian Willets, and he is very careful with his research. The other one is a conversion of a Hornby carriage, and the ventilators appear to be the right ones for a corridor carriage. I can't remember when or how I acquired that one, but it looks like someone has just put etched Dia 186 sides on an otherwise unaltered Hornby all door third. As usual, I have failed to notice. I'm as sure as I can be that the Willets one is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That last shot is from an excellent position and I look forward to many more from there G. What a splendid job your fellow has done. I know who to ask when I need some storage units as was done for your 'Loco Sheds'.

Duck.

Well Phil, he will come very highly recommended, and I'll gladly give you his details when you come to the time to need them.

• Thanks 1