Glen Gillie, Loch Inch & Bridge of Muir

trains12

Interesting idea, the tilt would certainly have helped on the curvature of the West Highland - and it would have been interesting to see it negotiate some of the routes round Glasgow.

Hi all

To quote 45156 above I do have an old Hornby APT so I may take it down to the unit and take a few shots of it on Bridge of Muir and see how it looks.

On another item dose anybody know or have confirmation that LMS 8F's where every used on the West Highland line . I have not been able to find in the all the books that I have any pictures of them on the line but have been told by a friend that they did  but not on a regular trip working. If any one dose know or can point me to any photographs of them I would be gratefull.

In the mean time I am build a small test uint to check out my engines as I fit them with decoders. It will also have the Kadee setting gauge fitted and magnets to check the uncoupling of wagons etc.

Will take some shots of this as work progresses.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On another item dose anybody know or have confirmation that LMS 8F's where every used on the West Highland line . I have not been able to find in the all the books that I have any pictures of them on the line but have been told by a friend that they did  but not on a regular trip working. If any one dose know or can point me to any photographs of them I would be gratefull.

The 8Fs were never shedded in Scotland in Post Nationalisation days and Derek Cross stated in print that he knew of only two instances of their use in Scotland, one on an iron ore working to Motherwell, and the other on a weedkiller working to Stranraer - I had never heard of an 8F venturing further North than the Southern tip of Glasgow, but of course, I stand to be corrected.  Pre Nationalisation, I believe that Motherwell had an allocation of 8Fs.

Stewart

The 8Fs were never shedded in Scotland in Post Nationalisation days and Derek Cross stated in print that he knew of only two instances of their use in Scotland, one on an iron ore working to Motherwell, and the other on a weedkiller working to Stranraer - I had never heard of an 8F venturing further North than the Southern tip of Glasgow, but of course, I stand to be corrected.  Pre Nationalisation, I believe that Motherwell had an allocation of 8Fs.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Many thaks for that information. I have not been able to find any information on any workings..

peter

• RMweb Premium

Peter, the weedkiller working is illustrated in "On Glasgow And South Western Lines" by David Cross and published by Ian Allan using his late father's colour work, and the iron ore working is in "The Last Decade of Scottish Steam" which Derek did for Bradford Barton, and which was reprinted by Lomond Books.

I never knew why the 8F never saw any use in Scotland - but neither did the 9F when the Standards came along - the made more use of the Austerity 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 variants for much of the heavy goods work. 

Peter, the weedkiller working is illustrated in "On Glasgow And South Western Lines" by David Cross and published by Ian Allan using his late father's colour work, and the iron ore working is in "The Last Decade of Scottish Steam" which Derek did for Bradford Barton, and which was reprinted by Lomond Books.

I never knew why the 8F never saw any use in Scotland - but neither did the 9F when the Standards came along - the made more use of the Austerity 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 variants for much of the heavy goods work. 

Hi Stewart

Many thanks for that. Have just got the two books out of my Railway Study Centre library and found the two photos in the books.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter,

I have found photographic evidence of a 2-8-0 on the WH in 1944 - Jack Kenrnahan's "Steam In The West Highlands" (Bradford Barton/Lomond) shows a WD working a goods train at Glen Douglas.  That find exhausts my current photo material, I'm afraid.

Of course, there is a possibility that there were some occasional workings of 8Fs and if these were in wartime, there is a good chance that given the secrecy and security that no photos exist.

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Hi All

Well the last few days has been spent fitting decorders to various engines. I now have a total of 44 engines fitted with them. The next step is to change a few over to sound but this will have to wait till the funds alow it. In the mean time waiting for Wedensday when Hornby Mag comes out with the artical on Bridge of Muir.

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 3

Hi All

Well just picked up my Hornby Mag. Layout is on front cover with a great spread inside. Thanks a lot to Mike Wild and Mark Chivers for taking the photos, they are out of this world. Come on all of you out there what do you think of them.

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Well just picked up my Hornby Mag. Layout is on front cover with a great spread inside. Thanks a lot to Mike Wild and Mark Chivers for taking the photos, they are out of this world. Come on all of you out there what do you think of them.

Peter

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a great spread, which I read as soon as my HM arrived this afternoon (we don't get post in the morning any more).  Nice one Peter, and I hope to see this one in the flesh at one of the shows.  The phptos are great, but I'm sure that the layout iteself is even better.

Stewart

Edited by 45156

Hi All

Peter

Hi Peter, I haven't got my copy yet and so will pick it up on Friday when I go to Sainsburys. Looking forward to seeing GG etc.

Hi

Regarding LMS 8F in Scotland. When 48773/4/5 were repatriated from Suez they were allocated to Polmadie, 66A. On withdrawal by SCR they were reinstated by the MR and one survived to be preserved. I will check my RCTS RO magazine and try to find more history.

Roger

Edited by Gilwell Park

Hi All

Many thanks to Shortliner and Gilwell Park for that infoemation of the 8Fs. At present not a lot has been done on the layouts have obtained some adjustable feet for Bof M which will be fitted over the next week ready for the GC show. I have also found a dry joint at the station ends that needs a spot of solder on it. Hope to get some shots this weekend down at the unit so will post them when done but at present trying to get two computors to talk to each other windows XP to Windows 8.1.What a b............. carry on.

It has been  said to me that I should look at building the Forth Rail bridge. It would be about 40ft long and nearly 4 ft high but it could be 'A Bridge to Far' ?

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter, really good article in the Hornby Mag and a superb Video in your post #1013 showing the lovely workmanship.

Well done mate.

Cheers Andy

Thanks for that. So was your article Some very nice area's of interest. A pity you dont have now would be a joy to have seen it.

Keep up the good work.

What do you think of the Forth Bridge idea?

Peter

Edited by trains12
  • Like 2

Cheers Andy

Thanks for that. So was your article Some very nice area's of interest. A pity you dont have now would be a joy to have seen it.

Keep up the good work.

What do you think of the Forth Bridge idea?

Peter

NO       :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

EDIT = A Bridge to Far

Edited by Andrew P

Hi All

Went dowm to the unit yesterday to do some work on the new fiddle boards on Bridge of Muir. Martin called in to look at the layout. After he left went to have session on it and found that everything was coming off in the middle of the bridge. Upon examination found the heat from the roof light, which is quite large, has distorted the track and lifted the chairs with the rail off the longitudinal baulks. Will have to wait till it has cooled down before I can reglue it down with some super glue.

Below are a few shots taken.

post-6915-0-81961100-1432458129.jpg

post-6915-0-43219700-1432458132.jpg

post-6915-0-77662600-1432458134.jpg

post-6915-0-44057400-1432458302.jpg

post-6915-0-04325400-1432458305.jpg

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Hi All

Well I started a new item of rolling stock the other day, I have obtained a Hornby pullman observation  coach which will be stripped down and repainted in BR maroon to represent the car that was used on the West Highland lines. That was fine untill Tuesday when I have developed inflamation  in my left wrist from an old injury many years ago. The result is a very very painful hand with no movement in my wrist it being all straped up. The doctor has arranged a visit to the hospital to have it X rayed  and on medication to controll the pain, It is nigh impossible to do any modelling till it goes down.  So nothing to report. Will let you know when work commences.

Peter

Hi All

Well I started a new item of rolling stock the other day, I have obtained a Hornby pullman observation  coach which will be stripped down and repainted in BR maroon to represent the car that was used on the West Highland lines. That was fine untill Tuesday when I have developed inflamation  in my left wrist from an old injury many years ago. The result is a very very painful hand with no movement in my wrist it being all straped up. The doctor has arranged a visit to the hospital to have it X rayed  and on medication to controll the pain, It is nigh impossible to do any modelling till it goes down.  So nothing to report. Will let you know when work commences.

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry to hear about your wrist, just rest I guess, so that gets you out of the housework, hahah.

All the best mate.