Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Around the back of the shed, at Didcot last week
I saw this old tender, with weeds growing out of it
Against a clear blue sky, I could have been back in Barry scrapyard in the 1970's
There was very nearly a tear in my eye.....

post-2973-0-21000600-1373271390_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thought I'd put some of my efforts into this topic..... you will let me know if I need to get my coat?

(A week ago I bought myself a 20mm lens for my DSLR and to give it a first run out I spent the morning wandering around the engine yard at Ropley on the Mid Hants Railway. )

Black Five

DSC_0323700x467_zps4c6e872a.jpg

DSC_0326a467x700_zps72d76a11.jpg

Bulleid Pacific (spam can)

DSC_0325a700x467_zps9127e29c.jpg

wagon headstock

DSC_0330a700x407_zps9c0b3cd5.jpg

rusty firebox

DSC_0335a467x700_zps81d54fa0.jpg

DSC_0337700x467_zps6b841f22.jpg

scene

DSC_0352a467x700_zps477c75aa.jpg

the coat's on the hook....

Chaz

• Like 3

you will let me know if I need to get my coat?

Well since you asked, I like the textures and also the simplicity of the two rivet pics, the rivets and chain in particular. Valve gear and wheels - maybe a bit deja vu.

Leave your coat where it is (unless it's cold next time you take your camera out).

Well since you asked, I like the textures and also the simplicity of the two rivet pics, the rivets and chain in particular. Valve gear and wheels - maybe a bit deja vu.

Leave your coat where it is (unless it's cold next time you take your camera out).

Thanks for the comments. "Valve gear and wheels - maybe a bit deja vu." Quite so, a well trodden path, but I couldn't resist them....

a couple more from the archives

NYMR - LNER Gala

DSC_4038a700x525_zps872225e2.jpg

Watercress

107-0773a_IMG700x424_zpsce295262.jpg

Chaz

• Like 5

I like the shot as a regular photograph, but I struggle to find what was creative in the composition or layout of it.

Well Ian, as you don't specify to which photo' you are referring I will assume you mean the distant shot of the 2-6-2T in the landscape. All I can say is "One man's meat...."

But then if you "like the shot as a regular photograph" that's enough for me!

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, yes, it was the one of the Ivatt 2-6-2T. I was replying to big jim's post but not quoting it as it was immediately above.

Well Ian, as you don't specify to which photo' you are referring I will assume you mean the distant shot of the 2-6-2T in the landscape. All I can say is "One man's meat...."

But then if you "like the shot as a regular photograph" that's enough for me!

Chaz

Although the photo doesn't necessarily follow any of the classic rules of composition

I do like the fact that the shot includes much of the surrounding environs...

To me, the fact that it is light-engine strengthens this feeling,

and demonstrates the railway complimenting the scene through which it runs...

That's not always that easy to achieve BTW....

As railway enthusiasts, many of us concentrate  purely on the locomotives and rolling stock,

however, the setting in which the railway runs is sometimes neglected by the railway photographer....

As you say Chaz, one mans meat....

I'm really enjoying this thread

Keep posting folks :)

Marc

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Ffestiniog Railway

112-1245a_img513x700_zps425866c2.jpg

I would argue that what art there is in photography is largely a matter of selection. The photographer chooses a subject, a viewpoint, and those technical aspects that control the image - choice of lens, DoF etc.  She/he might add image manipulation to the mix, in the past in a darkroom, now (most likely) with a computer, but the scope for creativity is necessarily limited when compared with that of a painter.

Artistic merit is, and always will be, a matter of opinion, in photography as much as any other creative medium.

Chacun a son goute.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Speaking purely subjectively, for myself what interests my eye is shots that see things differently to classic and/or regular composition. I particularly like it when a photographer comes up with something quite unusual, even if that challenges conventional notions of how we might normally view a subject.

What I least like seeing here is images that would more accurately be described as 'picturesque' or 'nicely framed three quarter view'. To my mind those belong in some kind of thread titled 'Nice Railway Photography' or 'Picturesque Railway Photography'. I created the thread to challenge photographers to view our mutual subject through less conventional 'eyes', not normal ones.

However, as I stated earlier, I am not out to be the arbiter of what is and is not 'creative' photography, so though the above is my subjective view, don't let that put anyone off submitting stuff here.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1