Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking purely subjectively, for myself what interests my eye is shots that see things differently to classic and/or regular composition. I particularly like it when a photographer comes up with something quite unusual, even if that challenges conventional notions of how we might normally view a subject.

What I least like seeing here is images that would more accurately be described as 'picturesque' or 'nicely framed three quarter view'. To my mind those belong in some kind of thread titled 'Nice Railway Photography' or 'Picturesque Railway Photography'. I created the thread to challenge photographers to view our mutual subject through less conventional 'eyes', not normal ones.

However, as I stated earlier, I am not out to be the arbiter of what is and is not 'creative' photography, so though the above is my subjective view, don't let that put anyone off submitting stuff here.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this..! :)

When I belonged to a Camera Club I stopped entering competitions when some judge would dismiss a nice photo as a "record shot" preferring the arty-f@rty stuff.

Dave

I don't know how long ago that was, Dave, but I think that the boot was on the other foot in the mid-sixties, the clubs still defending traditional photography against the avant-garde. Suffering a spot of tendinitis, I took my camera instead of my spikes along to the Sheffield and District Cross-Country Championships one year, and later showed the resulting prints to a workmate. "Oh, you haven't got a full range of tones there (on a murky afternoon in January?)" he said, "and the grain is really obvious (Kodak Tri-X pushed two or three stops). I'm afraid you'd stand no chance in a competition". A couple of weeks later, I was able to show him one of my photos in "Athletics Weekly", the half-tone printing disguising the grain and giving a sharper and brighter image than the original print (as I had realised it would). My friend courteously congratulated me on the publication and the small cheque it had brought me. "Well, you got some money for it; that's something I've never done..."

My Sheffield United Harriers club mates were pleased too, as several of them figured prominently in the snap, but I was somewhat deflated when the club captain said "Bring your camera along next week, too - this is where you can be really useful !"

My point is that if you want your pictures to be appreciated, you study your potential audience. If a significant number agree with the OP, then fair enough.

I don't know how long ago that was, Dave, but I think that the boot was on the other foot in the mid-sixties, the clubs still defending traditional photography against the avant-garde. Suffering a spot of tendinitis, I took my camera instead of my spikes along to the Sheffield and District Cross-Country Championships one year, and later showed the resulting prints to a workmate. "Oh, you haven't got a full range of tones there (on a murky afternoon in January?)" he said, "and the grain is really obvious (Kodak Tri-X pushed two or three stops). I'm afraid you'd stand no chance in a competition". A couple of weeks later, I was able to show him one of my photos in "Athletics Weekly", the half-tone printing disguising the grain and giving a sharper and brighter image than the original print (as I had realised it would). My friend courteously congratulated me on the publication and the small cheque it had brought me. "Well, you got some money for it; that's something I've never done..."

My Sheffield United Harriers club mates were pleased too, as several of them figured prominently in the snap, but I was somewhat deflated when the club captain said "Bring your camera along next week, too - this is where you can be really useful !"

My point is that if you want your pictures to be appreciated, you study your potential audience. If a significant number agree with the OP, then fair enough.

I still lecture around the south Wales Camera Clubs occasionally but for the past 36 years have done AV first with two projectors and now digitally using Pictures To Exe.

You are right and for that reason I try to cover a reasonably wide range in my photography - the only thing I never attempt is portraiture as it has no appeal to me. My preferred style is documentary which doesn't appeal to some in the clubs,

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

one from a few years back, october 2006, 37059 in newtown leading the RHTT back to shrewsbury, (i had 37069 on the rear), i took this photo with my nokia N95 mobile phone, still proud of it!

DSCF0045a.jpg

and another mobile phone picture from my trusty nokia, 66406 in birch coppise, good friday 2006, the first ever DRS intermodal to work into there

P4062611.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4