Hornby Dublo R1

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I didn't realise Ks did body only kits, you learn something every day.

I think they did 3 bodyline kits, J50 & 3Fcomes to mind. After K's ceased trading one company was selling some kits as bodyline kits, then Nucast sold then with simple etched frames

K's also sod a small range of Narros gauge stock and a few 0 gauge wagons and a range of Continental H0 locos.

18 hours ago, 97xx said:

If I fit 20mm Romfords/Markits with all flanged, is there any issue with e.g. 2' radius curves?

(b) Using the MainlyTrains rods, are they articulated or just dummy? Do they need to be articulated on this chassis if again running 2' radius?

H-D didn't allow much sideplay on the driven wheels, because none was necessary as the mechanism was functionally an 0-4-0. The driven axle was also well constrained so the gear set didn't shift sideways. Fit all flanged and you may have a straight line only mechanism.

Measure chassis block width as a first assessment, if it is 13mm it won't take any but very large radius curves. Articulating side rods is always a good plan.

7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

H-D didn't allow much sideplay on the driven wheels, because none was necessary as the mechanism was functionally an 0-4-0. The driven axle was also well constrained so the gear set didn't shift sideways. Fit all flanged and you may have a straight line only mechanism.

Measure chassis block width as a first assessment, if it is 13mm it won't take any but very large radius curves. Articulating side rods is always a good plan.

Yes it's 13mm...

And of course with the Romford axle we can't nip up the B2B.

Having said that, nothing to stop me milling something off of the front and rear width. Centre would be easier but that's the driven one so ideally want to keep that with limited play.

Edited by 97xx

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I think they did 3 bodyline kits, J50 & 3Fcomes to mind. After K's ceased trading one company was selling some kits as bodyline kits, then Nucast sold then with simple etched frames

Merchant Navy was one of them.DSCN2431.JPG.b02c3d5eaeb90461126fbc93e5c85721.JPG

Hi all,

Well the R1 was never one of my favourite engines as a child. Just did not like the look of them. It took until I was 60 to realise that I did actually like them.... :). So I ended up buying 3 to restore. 2 are done as per their original Southern and Br paint schemes. But I do like the look of the lined BR version done here. So when I get round to it I think I may borrow that paint scheme. But I am still in the middle of restoring 3 H/D Cowen 75 tonne breakdown cranes back to as original condition as I want to get them. So it will have to go to the back of the que so to speak.

Edited by cypherman

The later Body Kits was when they were being sold by Autocom who were the owners of NuCast. West Coast Kits did the same thing and put good quality parts in them such as better chassis. wheels, motor, etc.

Hattons were selling them off cheaply at the time. I wish I had stocked up on them.

You can tell the body kits by the awful crew figures in the cab which were used to try and hide the motor.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I thought I would do the maths:

Take R = 600mm (a bit less than 2 feet, but errs on the right side).

Wheelbase of Dublo R1 = 26 + 31mm. (approximately - it's something imperial).

Taking the mid-point (again erring on the right side) = 28.5mm.

Therefore (R-x)² + 28.5² = 600² (Pythagoras) where x is the side play required.

This gives x = 0.933, say 1mm., allowing for washers to prevent the wheel tyres touching the chassis block, so there should be enough play. Some play can be allowed on the driven axle (Dublo gears are not that critical - there's about 0.5mm anyway). A bit of the slop between wheel and rail can be taken up as well. Really, with a curve as tight as two feet, some gauge widening should be allowed, but flexible track precludes this.

It should be OK, but will be a bit tight (as expected).

I've just found where I put my K's Midland 3F. I wonder if I can fit a Tri-ang or, better, Hornby 0-6-0T chassis which would be a bit more prototypical.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Herewith another use for an R1 chassis, the Wills Taff Vale U1 (Sans pony truck!):

489302134_U1(1).jpg.2a32506ecb10d1047e15597167390c4a.jpg

However all is not as it seems,

Complete with Mashima motor :

265512710_U1(2).jpg.5ec7c333b23a3351ab943d578f4cea00.jpg

(Gives scope for cab detail & floor)

There is about 1mm side play per axle and the tyres do not touch the chassis block.

This has run around 2' curves fine.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2020 at 13:48, melmerby said:

There is about 1mm side play per axle and the tyres do not touch the chassis block.

This has run around 2' curves fine.

So, coming back to the Mainly Trains rods that have arrived:

I see they are NOT articulated, but I deliberately bought two sets so that I could manufacture one articulated set - it would see not to be necessary, albeit of course preferable.

(I've got various Markits rivets in stock...)

Views? 

I've recently re-discovered my Wrenn R1 which I fitted with fully flanged Romford wheels back in the 1970s. It goes round Setrack points with no problems.

I've just used the body to make a detailed version using an etched chassis with other improvements.