The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

The aforementioned Finnish Mower has been acquired. Unfortunately the telescoping drive-shaft only telescopes half as far as it should. On closer inspection it's also evident that some total twinky has attacked the splines with an angle grinder. I suspect the shaft has been bent or even twisted although it's hard to imagine how either could have happened. On the other hand, the mower doesn't seem to be in bad shape. Just needs a bit of TLC a few bits that I can make myself.

Tomorrow words will be exchanged with the retail emporium of agricultural equipment from which said mower was purchased. I hope I don't have to give the sales guy the shaft.

I wonder how he'll expline that lot?

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

I could not resist it :)

One one occasion I sent a long email to my work colleagues where I consistently referred to "United Airlines" as "Untidy Airlines". Only one person noticed it and that was a couple of days later.

I used to refer to them as Untied Airlines. :yahoo_mini:

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I used to refer to them as Untied Airlines. :yahoo_mini:

I met my son at Houston airport after his only flight in United. He was not complimentary about the experience. Most irritating was the cabin crew person who every time he walked past insisted on doing a Dick van Dyke “cockerknee dance” and “cuppa tea mite” routine.  
Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Of these, perhaps 100 have been started and not finished for one reason or another (including, believe it or not, Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was an enjoyable read, Lord of the Rings I found turgidly impassable),

Thank you for that! At least one other person shares my opinion of ‘Lord of the Rings’! I tried to read it once and managed about 60 pages before I gave up. I just couldn’t get to grips with the many unfamiliar names of people and places and kept having to check back to remind myself who or where they were. That completely broke up the flow of the book, plus I wasn’t finding it riveting reading anyway. Despite encouragement/mocking from many people, I never felt the need to try it again.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I met my son at Houston airport after his only flight in United. He was not complimentary about the experience. Most irritating was the cabin crew person who every time he walked past insisted on doing a Dick van Dyke “cockerknee dance” and “cuppa tea mite” routine.  
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 2

Our esteemed ER J.S.Bach mentioned the books he was reading or has lined up to read further up the thread, it's a long while since I've read anything WWII related but a new arrival from Amazon is something I'm really looking forward to diving into asap - Ermanno Cozza's 'Maserati At Heart', a book which I've had my eye on for a while. At 500 pages, it's the story of Snr.Cozza's career at the Maserati factory which began back in 1951 where he started as a fitter before moving on to the Experimental Departmant, the Technical Department and finally the Commercial Department. Much like ace test driver Valentino Balboni at Lamborghini, he is still an ambassador for Maserati and turns up at all sorts of events and races to keep the spirit of the trident well and truly alive. Smoke me a kipper for breakfast, I'm going in.... ;)

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Popped down to Tess Coe's this afternoon for a few essentials such as bread, still not enough for a bread pudding though. Haven't done any more clearing of the storage box because its too wet. The rain has washed some of the muck off of the car though including the bird poop. The forecast is for more rain tomorrow but very little Sunday so I should be able to get things finished.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I got through it, but felt the same - by the time I finished it I had no idea what the beginning was like!

Try reading the "Gulag Archipelago" or any Russian Novel.. I like them but boy are the characters hard to keep a track of... Lord of the Rings is excellent.. notice the key person was omitted from the films.. step forward Tom Bombadil!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 9
  • Agree 5