The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all.

So at 03.00 I woke up and a thought popped into my head. 

Is the Earth's orbit round the Sun 2 dimensional (on an exact plane), or is it 3d, meandering up and down a bit whilst going round in a 2nd ellipse. 

I guess today's personal  solar lapping event made this come to mind. Do we pass through the same bit of space each year?

By 7.30 I was busy inspecting my eye lids and reluctant to go to work! I did look it up in a wikI but the words were too long on about 3 hours of sleep. Lol 

• Like 7
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Andy 

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndyB said:

guess today's personal  solar lapping event made this come to mind. Do we pass through the same bit of space each year?

Happy Birthday. 
Orbital perturbations. Though even without any the “space” we pass through is different compared to say the galactic centre or to for instance other galaxies as we are moving in our galaxy and Andromeda is on a collision course. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Shed visited for a bit more playtime.  This is the layout so far:

IMG_0169.jpg.4954e4e582a0fa06125624eadb07571a.jpgIMG_0165.jpg.bf98deadea4414b997632ecdc49ad45b.jpgIMG_0164.jpg.6a4604d87614470e3cea36622cbd9a02.jpg

Nice and tidy! is it always like that?

Happy birthday Andy

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

F70F0A87-A9DC-443A-BD57-3380ECC6CF45.jpeg.3bddaa5be6fa1204afa985761c35a7f3.jpeg
How about this one?

That's a Davros Sweep,  upset it and you'll be exterminated with myxomatosis

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

So again my comments - summing up the last 20-30 pages a few hours ago has not appeared.  I have been able just now to 'tick' a few likes etc/. but we will see if this 'saves and stays'

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Wow, this one did but the previous did not but included:

Test Track and Trace

Climate change and and agreement that the Atlantic would move more slowly because of the reduced temperature gradient when the ice cap melts and a 12th century 'warming' with an 18th century extreme cold.

Covid-19 difference by statistics between'actual' and 'statistical' likelihood and incidentally that there have been 200 odd changes in the virus since its probable transfer to humans in October 2019 -... which leads to a possible thought that some of us n=might have had it around Christmas - mildly but for 3/52 or so ... its a thought.

Those who e.g. went to Durdle Door etc and where, in the absence of the public toilet blocks, they might have received themselves ... going to Darwinism prospects.

Has this one stayed on?

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Flavio, there is no SWMBO in this household so there is no need to acquire brownie points. I have made bread pudding in the past so I might have another go when I can get the ingredients, the one I do not have at the moment is dry (about 2 days old not stale) bread, wholemeal preferably. I follow my mums recipe, plenty of dried fruit and candied peel. spices and black treacle in lieu of sugar. The bread is crumbled into a mixing bowl and soaked in water for 24 hours until all the water is absorbed by the bread which should be the constituency it had when it was dough. The opened tin of black treacle is best placed for a couple of minutes in a pan of boiling water making sure that no water gets into the tin. This makes the treacle free flowing when you empty the tin and fold it into the bread mix. Then add the dried fruit, candied peel and spices also folding them in.  Place the contents in a suitable oven dish and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for an hour. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

I guess today's personal  solar lapping event made this come to mind. Do we pass through the same bit of space each year?

Depends where you consider your reference point. This sun is travelling - this from the NASA site

Yes, the Sun - in fact, our whole solar system - orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Much as I like the idea of an RC tank chassis and a camera, it's only really going to work if the target is at ground level, otherwise you'll need a camera that is capable of panning to look up.

As a matter of interest have you seen the prices of Tamiya R/C tanks?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-56043-56043-1-Sheridan-Option/dp/B07PDHZCJP/ref=pd_sbs_21_6/262-8799368-8554732?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PDHZCJP&pd_rd_r=657b6648-2b8f-47f8-b56b-bb24e57a4525&pd_rd_w=NuGHW&pd_rd_wg=utwcP&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=VG6081YDW1H0M1ZD00VX&psc=1&refRID=VG6081YDW1H0M1ZD00VX

A  scope would appear to be the cheapest ans simplest option as the operator requires very little training compared with rcpiloting and driving skills!

Dirt cheap.  if you want a real model tank here's one for Baz, a snip at £3,300

http://www.mark-1-tank.net/NewMark1/Challenger2.htm

The 1/6th scale tanks are stupendous little machines especially when they come with all bells and whistles and used to put in regular appearances at Model Mania at Cholsey running over some really bad rutted and muddy ground.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

How about this one?

I always thought Sweep was a “bad dog”

44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Flavio, there is no SWMBO in this household so there is no need to acquire brownie points. I have made bread pudding in the past so I might have another go when I can get the ingredients, the one I do not have at the moment is dry (about 2 days old not stale) bread, wholemeal preferably. I follow my mums recipe, plenty of dried fruit and candied peel. spices and black treacle in lieu of sugar. The bread is crumbled into a mixing bowl and soaked in water for 24 hours until all the water is absorbed by the bread which should be the constituency it had when it was dough. The opened tin of black treacle is best placed for a couple of minutes in a pan of boiling water making sure that no water gets into the tin. This makes the treacle free flowing when you empty the tin and fold it into the bread mix. Then add the dried fruit, candied peel and spices also folding them in.  Place the contents in a suitable oven dish and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for an hour. 

That sounds really tasty. I’ll give it a go (I’ve got a couple of tins of treacle sitting around not doing anything). By the way what spices are you using?

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Andy, I nearly forgot, happy birthday.

28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That sounds really tasty. I’ll give it a go (I’ve got a couple of tins of treacle sitting around not doing anything). By the way what spices are you using?

I usually throw in anything that comes to hand, my favourite is cinnamon, but ginger,allspice or anything that suits your palate can go in (and you can omit any you don't like). Of course the baking time can vary, best to push a knife into it to check and if the knife comes out clean its done. In fact I've never used a set time just using the knife method to see if its done.

EDIT You do realise that now you will have to make one if Chris visits Switzerland this Christmas.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Dirt cheap.  if you want a real model tank here's one for Baz, a snip at £3,300

http://www.mark-1-tank.net/NewMark1/Challenger2.htm

The 1/6th scale tanks are stupendous little machines especially when they come with all bells and whistles and used to put in regular appearances at Model Mania at Cholsey running over some really bad rutted and muddy ground.

Very nice but if only they could get their facts straight! It is a Challenger 1 which holds the record (v a T72 at 5.1kms range) in the first Gulf War). There are cheaper options but not at 1/6 scale, and to get them across rough terrain it is best to add extra metal tracks and a stronger drive.

Challenger 2 1/16

I wouldn't say no to having one of these.. not sure her indoors would approve!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Depends where you consider your reference point. This sun is travelling - this from the NASA site

Yes, the Sun - in fact, our whole solar system - orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. We are moving at an average velocity of 828,000 km/hr. But even at that high rate, it still takes us about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the Milky Way!

Now you’ve got me singing Python’s Galaxy Song.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I always thought Sweep was a “bad dog”

I always thought of Sweep as a dog too! Unless he had a fetish for toasted sandwiches? (Mixing my toasties) Guess this may help assist the much-felt plea for a GROAN button! :jester:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Happy Birthday Andy!

Sweep is a dog, surely?

Mrs NHN's glen for the archery would tax a real tank, it is very heavily wooded and has dense undergrowth, with a lot of elevation changes. Like STEEP.  Much more so than the photo Pete posted of Mrs Mole's forest.  NHN struggles to negotiate some parts with his gammy hip and foot, and has to use two walking pole things, and misses one part out completely.  If I mash my foot again I am told it will be final.

Thanks for the advice Richard, it would have to be hand held but only for up to 50 yards spotting, nothing further in NFA.  A cheapy may be investigated, likely Starr and Broud branded, hot from the far east.

One of those downhill shots ....this is in the easy bit!

20200516_094953%5B1%5D.jpg.a561e2938c83ce23e8f255af10e8e2c1.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks one and all for the birthday wishes. And also for the astrophysics insight. 

Last week's middle of the night brain teaser was this.

The speed of "Time" is influenced by local gravitational fields.  Close to "dense stuff" it passes somewhat slower. 

Accepting that before the inflationary period of the Big Bang all the matter in the universe was crammed into a sub-atomic particle, how slow was "time" ?

The standard answer is that time was effectively at a standstill. But it's that word.....effectively. What was before the sub-atomic particle? Or more interestingly, perhaps....how did it come about.   :chok_mini:

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

How about this one?

I've always thought sweep as a rabbit

download.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Very nice but if only they could get their facts straight! It is a Challenger 1 which holds the record (v a T72 at 5.1kms range) in the first Gulf War). There are cheaper options but not at 1/6 scale, and to get them across rough terrain it is best to add extra metal tracks and a stronger drive.

Challenger 2 1/16

I wouldn't say no to having one of these.. not sure her indoors would approve!

Baz

I want one. There used to be a good large scale model show nearby in a school in Merstham years ago where a few of us often bought G gauge items. The school even had its own minature railway around the school grounds but now long gone. They often had a display of tanks this size with sound even back then and always fancied one.

PS - happy birthday AndyB

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1